SOX street lights, which areas still have them?

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Re: SOX street lights, which areas still have them?

Post by Chris5156 »

StockburyRoundabout wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 22:20
Truvelo wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 22:13
StockburyRoundabout wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 21:33 There is a solitary SOX lantern still in situ here on the A4010 Wycombe Road in Princes Risborough, and it remarkably still works (I can confirm this having travelled through Risborough in darkness recently)! It has somehow survived the Buckinghamshire Council LED scheme, despite lanterns on surrounding columns having been replaced by LEDs.
This is true in Staffordshire too. When a whole road has been up downgraded to LED they leave a single SOX or SON lantern in place.
Is there a particular reason for this? The only occurrence of this I've seen in Bucks is that one in Risborough. I've not seen it elsewhere.
I’d guess it’s something very mundane, like an issue accessing one random light on the day the crew is there to do the LED replacement. They then move on and either don’t make a note of the need to come back or are too busy with a county-wide LED programme to come back.
FleetlinePhil

Post by FleetlinePhil »

FleetlinePhil wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 13:34
EpicChef wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 13:16
FleetlinePhil wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 13:44 Despite a second pass to replace some of the stragglers, Calderdale's LED conversion contractors still seemed to miss some SOX installations. These two are very close to my home in Todmorden, although the one located in the alley had been out for many months - quite possibly since Covid. However I noticed the other evening it has now been returned to its SOX glory :D !
Wait, they converted LED back to LPS?
Sorry, no, both these remained SOX, and I merely meant that a replacement SOX element had been fitted to the failed light. Why these two were missed I have no idea, there are several others in nearby back alleys that were replaced by LED. I noticed the other evening there are also some SOX visible on the W side of the A646, I must have a look now the afternoons are drawing in.
The other one of the SOX lights linked to above failed a few weeks back, and after a false start when Calderdale emailed me back saying they couldn't find a fault, it has been now replaced. However, this time it is not a SOX replacement, but a white light fitted into the old lantern. It sits right at the post end of the lantern bowl and is a warmer white than the nearby LEDs, but beyond that I couldn't say what it is.

The SOX in the alley that was replaced in late 2022 is still going strong, though!
Worcestershire Wolf

Post by Worcestershire Wolf »

There are a few left on the Blackpole Trading Estate in Worcester. I am guessing that this is a private road and doesn't come under the responsibility of the county council hence their survival:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.21845 ... ?entry=ttu

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.22172 ... ?entry=ttu
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

Yes, I've seen a lot on industrial estates and businesses recently and they must be privately maintained. Most I've seen are mercury so they are even older.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
Sabrista
Secretary

Post by Sabrista »

There’s these old things right outside my office:-

https://maps.app.goo.gl/BGM4QiZcN5G5KzVP6?g_st=ic

Never seen them working when I was leaving work in the dark.

Serena
"The motorways are full of teachers' pets in their company cars listening to Simply Red..." - Dean Johnson

Big Trip In A Big (Now Little) Car! (new)
Serena's Mr Floppy Collection
My other pet project!
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

Sabrista wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 20:57 There’s these old things right outside my office:-

https://maps.app.goo.gl/BGM4QiZcN5G5KzVP6?g_st=ic

Never seen them working when I was leaving work in the dark.

Serena
Those are Philips MA50's which are mounted on short columns for their power output.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
Sabrista
Secretary

Post by Sabrista »

Not much power in them if they don’t work!

Serena
"The motorways are full of teachers' pets in their company cars listening to Simply Red..." - Dean Johnson

Big Trip In A Big (Now Little) Car! (new)
Serena's Mr Floppy Collection
My other pet project!
Patrick Harper

Post by Patrick Harper »

StockburyRoundabout wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 21:33 There is a solitary SOX lantern still in situ here on the A4010 Wycombe Road in Princes Risborough, and it remarkably still works (I can confirm this having travelled through Risborough in darkness recently)! It has somehow survived the Buckinghamshire Council LED scheme, despite lanterns on surrounding columns having been replaced by LEDs.
I notice an identical column covering the bus stop further on still had an MA90 until 2022/2023.
StockburyRoundabout

Post by StockburyRoundabout »

Patrick Harper wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 01:02
I notice an identical column covering the bus stop further on still had an MA90 until 2022/2023.
Indeed it did! I know Buckinghamshire Council's contractors replaced a substantial number of lanterns in Spring/Summer 2023. The one I referred to obviously survived, alas the one you also mentioned did not.
Now with added Grade Separation!
Jonathan24

Post by Jonathan24 »

There aren't many SOX mounted on electricity poles which have such a long arm (at least in Northern Ireland anyway)
Brenley Corner

Post by Brenley Corner »

All 4 slip roads on the A3/A2043 junction in SW London still have SOX lanterns. This is the northbound off-slip but it seems all 4 slip roads have interesting lanterns. I drove past them at the weekend and they were still there but in the daytime so no idea how many of them still work.
Brenley Corner: congesting traffic since 1963; discussing roads since 2002