Unique Traffic Signals

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

ReissOmari

Re: Unique Traffic Signals

Post by ReissOmari »

traffic-light-man wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 21:24
ReissOmari wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:22 Is there really any need for the signalised left turn? Surely a give way would make more sense as there's no conflicting traffic when they are on red, but when on green there's conflicting traffic coming from the right!? Also I assume it's just connected to the ahead phase meaning when the filter arrow is on from Dunriding Lane, they'll still be red. Also interesting to see there isn't a secondary signal for the left turn either, quite a botch that.
Yes, the lantern on the nearside of the left turn slip is the same phase as the ahead - probably one of the reasons there isn't a dedicated secondary. It's a fairly normal layout in my mind, particularly locally and I've never really given it much thought other than it definitely being old fashioned by today's standards.

I can't imagine you'll get any new examples of this arrangement, though this sort of layout is also a bit of a relic in general, particularly in an urban environment. I think it definitely pre-dates the Mellor era.

There's some other examples here, here, here, here, here and here. Granted, most of those are not T-junctions, but the left turn layouts are the same - I'm sure more will spring to mind.
wallmeerkat wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:28 I've noticed at some point the left turn filter here...
There's an odd additional ahead aspect mounted to the RAG here as well - seems a bit odd, though not necessarily 'wrong'.
Is it a North East thing? Hardly any like that here in the West Midlands (without secondaries)! The majority of those sites would benefit from a simple give way, especially considering there are no dedicated pedestrian facilities.
ReissOmari..
traffic-light-man

Post by traffic-light-man »

ReissOmari wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 13:12 Is it a North East thing? Hardly any like that here in the West Midlands (without secondaries)! The majority of those sites would benefit from a simple give way, especially considering there are no dedicated pedestrian facilities.
Possibly a north west thing, like I say, it's not something I've considered as unusual and so haven't been on the look out for it elsewhere in the country. Similar arrangements can be found across Lancashire, Cheshire and Greater Manchester, too, so not unique to Merseyside.
Simon
tom66

Post by tom66 »

Here's another example of an ahead signal that would never have cause to go red as no phase can conflict.
https://www.google.com/maps/@52.2456589 ... ?entry=ttu

I wonder if the red and yellow bulbs are even installed and wired in to the controller.
MotorwayGuy

Post by MotorwayGuy »

tom66 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 22:58 Here's another example of an ahead signal that would never have cause to go red as no phase can conflict.
https://www.google.com/maps/@52.2456589 ... ?entry=ttu

I wonder if the red and yellow bulbs are even installed and wired in to the controller.
It appears you used to be able to turn right out of Butt Lane but this was changed when the Park and Ride was built and the RAG heads were replaced like for like. Nearby on the newer junction which allows the movement, they have done the weird combined left/right setup, which seems unnecessary unless there is a no entry ahead.
traffic-light-man

tom66 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 22:58 I wonder if the red and yellow bulbs are even installed and wired in to the controller.
I suspect the red and amber aspects do exist, if anything just for the 'all red' function. There's a possibility this is used for a quiescent all red revert, but it'll be a manual panel function either way.
Simon
ReissOmari

Post by ReissOmari »

traffic-light-man wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 15:37
ReissOmari wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 13:12 Is it a North East thing? Hardly any like that here in the West Midlands (without secondaries)! The majority of those sites would benefit from a simple give way, especially considering there are no dedicated pedestrian facilities.
Possibly a north west thing, like I say, it's not something I've considered as unusual and so haven't been on the look out for it elsewhere in the country. Similar arrangements can be found across Lancashire, Cheshire and Greater Manchester, too, so not unique to Merseyside.
Apologies, North West was what I meant!

There is a similar arrangement in Birmingham, albeit with a secondary signal, that appears to be pretty useless - these left turn signals stay on green throughout all cycles, but default to red for a couple seconds then back to green when the ahead signal changes to green. Once again, no pedestrian crossing and a give way past the signals. These could be removed, if there was a right turn filter from Summer Row it would be understandable, however, with the give way, it seems a bit contradicting.

To be honest, this whole area of Birmingham is a mess at the moment.
ReissOmari..
MotorwayGuy

Post by MotorwayGuy »

ReissOmari wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:36
traffic-light-man wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 15:37
Apologies, North West was what I meant!

There is a similar arrangement in Birmingham, albeit with a secondary signal, that appears to be pretty useless - these left turn signals stay on green throughout all cycles, but default to red for a couple seconds then back to green when the ahead signal changes to green. Once again, no pedestrian crossing and a give way past the signals. These could be removed, if there was a right turn filter from Summer Row it would be understandable, however, with the give way, it seems a bit contradicting.

To be honest, this whole area of Birmingham is a mess at the moment.
It seems like that area has been in perpetual redevelopment for the past 15 years. I particularly like this mess; all traffic must turn right by going in a bus lane, but oh if you decide to ignore that the route ahead has motor vehicles prohibited except for blah blah, which obviously includes using it as a makeshift car park despite red lines. Who signs off this ****?

EDIT: Just realised that this set installed last year at Thanet Parkway last year has a set of RAGs for the left turn that never turn red. I'm not sure why they decided to install these here instead of just a normal slip road merge, but I'm guessing it's due to the incline and proximity to the roundabout.
ReissOmari

Post by ReissOmari »

Look at these traffic signal poles!
ReissOmari..
traffic-light-man

ReissOmari wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 19:47 Look at these traffic signal poles!
Those look similar to the ones on Kensington High Street in London, if they're not the same type. The Kensington ones have a look reminiscent of Mellors fitted to 'tin lantern' poles, especially with the 4Gs that are fitted to some of them now.
Simon
Nathan_A_RF

Post by Nathan_A_RF »

I've just been reminded of this unique crossing in Eastbourne. Not so much a unique signal, but unique and unconventional layout. Is there anywhere else with such a thing?
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.76614 ... ?entry=ttu