Month-old landslip on A816

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

wrinkly

Month-old landslip on A816

Post by wrinkly »

I was unaware of this until I saw this Guardian item just now.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... h-landslip
Teacher now travelling by boat to educate children at two different school sites on either side of impasse
Donna Ferguson
Thu 2 Nov 2023 23.42 GMT
Last modified on Fri 3 Nov 2023 00.00 GMT

Businesses in a remote peninsula of Scotland are fighting to survive and children are unable to attend their local school nearly a month after record-breaking rainfall caused a severe landslip, which cut off a vital road link to the wider peninsula.

The Craignish peninsula in Argyll was battered by heavy rain in early October, causing a landslip on the A816 near Ardfern which left 6,000 tonnes of debris covering the road and rendered it impassable.

Weeks later, it is estimated that more than 4,000 tonnes of the debris still remains on the road, blocking the peninsula’s access to its nearest town, Lochgilphead.

Local people still face weeks of disruption as a result of the landslip, with some primary school pupils who live outside the peninsula unable to get to their school. Their teacher is having to travel by boat to spend time with them at another school site.

Road access to the rest of Scotland is available from the north, with drivers having to take a long, 90-minute route round to reach Lochgilphead.

Businesses in the area say they are facing a “fight for survival” with many still feeling the effects of the Covid-19 pandemic and the cost-of-living crisis.

A group led by a charity, the Craignish Community Company, is vowing to do all it can to help businesses get through the disruption.
KeithW

Re: Month-old landslip on A816

Post by KeithW »

More details with photos here, its going to take a while especially as its still raining.
https://www.argyllshireadvertiser.co.uk ... ed-2/#null

I suspect that this will be months not weeks to get it stabilised and cleaned up.
Glen
Social Media Admin

Post by Glen »

The A816 had also been closed further north at Kimelford, where the bridge in the village had been damaged by floodwater beyond repair.
It was fortunate there was a stock of suitable precast culvert sections in a yard in Inverness, for such eventualities in Highland, which Argyll and Bute were able to make use of to get a permanent reinstatement in place promptly.

https://www.argyll-bute.gov.uk/news/202 ... 1-november
TomJ

Post by TomJ »

Diversion route due to be in place for mid-December. Work is continuing to clear the debris, but the hillside is still considered unsafe however.
FB_IMG_1699371736204.jpg
rileyrob

Post by rileyrob »

It's not that local to here, but local enough that we're hearing that the council are putting in a temporary road with a view to making it a permanent realignment in the new year. In the short term it sounds like it will be a forest road type construction operating under convoy system, and built to take service buses and smaller lorries, but not fully laden artics (mostly timber lorries). They hope to have it open a couple of weeks before Christmas, which is good going when you consider the terrain they are dealing with - for instance this is where it will apparently start.
Although the old road is proving to be surprisingly intact under all of the debris, the instability of the slope above is a serious concern, and the original hope of clearing the road by the end of November is gone. We've heard that more material is trickling down after they clear below and until the vegetation starts to bind it together again they are doubtful of being able to open the road safely.

Local hauliers are asking for the opportunity to be taken to completely rebuild the road, bypassing Kintraw Bridge and the difficult bends climbing up the hill. I doubt that Argyll have the money for this, but under the circumstance it may just be possible.
Rob.
My mission is to travel every road and visit every town, village and hamlet in the British Isles.
I don't like thinking about how badly I am doing.

From the SABRE Wiki: Kintraw Bridge :

Kintraw Bridge carries the A816 across the diminutive Kintraw Burn at the head of Loch Craignish. It is a surprising bridge, about which little seems to be known. It is thought to be late 18th Century in date, making it one of the oldest bridges in the area, and is certainly detailed in a manner which would support the date. The single semi-circular arch stands high above the

... Read More