ANPR - & then number plate displayed on a speed sign.

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Vierwielen

Re: ANPR - & then number plate displayed on a speed sign.

Post by Vierwielen »

FosseWay wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 16:58
Big Nick wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 00:29 In recent weeks my rear plate has become dirty enough that a camera cannot read it. However I can read it from a way off.

It's a little irritating that the supermarket car park payment machine says 'numberplate not recognised' so you can't pay or redeem your free parking token, given that it's not unknown for parking firms to chase people for far less.
I've had problems with the airport car park here. The weather can be very different there than here on the coast, and several times I've set off from home in rain and arrived at the airport in a full-on blizzard, so that the front number plate is covered with snow. Easily solved by getting out and wiping the plate - just a bit of a pain in bad weather and with a queue of people behind you.
I understand that your traffic signs have a yellow field rather than a white field for the same reason.
FosseWay
Assistant Site Manager

Post by FosseWay »

Vierwielen wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 22:11
FosseWay wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 16:58
Big Nick wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 00:29 In recent weeks my rear plate has become dirty enough that a camera cannot read it. However I can read it from a way off.

It's a little irritating that the supermarket car park payment machine says 'numberplate not recognised' so you can't pay or redeem your free parking token, given that it's not unknown for parking firms to chase people for far less.
I've had problems with the airport car park here. The weather can be very different there than here on the coast, and several times I've set off from home in rain and arrived at the airport in a full-on blizzard, so that the front number plate is covered with snow. Easily solved by getting out and wiping the plate - just a bit of a pain in bad weather and with a queue of people behind you.
I understand that your traffic signs have a yellow field rather than a white field for the same reason.
Yes, and there's also less reliance on signage painted on the tarmac for the same reason. All the obvious road markings telling you where to go in order not to conflict with other users (stop lines, solid white lines etc) are substantially the same as for the UK, but there's much less use of ground paint to give directions.
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
exiled
Committee Member

Post by exiled »

The only time I have been in a carpark with ANPR enforcements, well times, it was over a week, I had to stop to note what the system had recorded my plate as. It could not cope with cherished plates.
Ruperts Trooper

Post by Ruperts Trooper »

exiled wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 08:49 The only time I have been in a carpark with ANPR enforcements, well times, it was over a week, I had to stop to note what the system had recorded my plate as. It could not cope with cherished plates.
By "cherished plates" do you mean just the old black/white type - as the term generally includes modern plates with a meaningful combination of characters.
Lifelong motorhead
exiled
Committee Member

Post by exiled »

Ruperts Trooper wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 09:47
exiled wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 08:49 The only time I have been in a carpark with ANPR enforcements, well times, it was over a week, I had to stop to note what the system had recorded my plate as. It could not cope with cherished plates.
By "cherished plates" do you mean just the old black/white type - as the term generally includes modern plates with a meaningful combination of characters.
A 1982 X suffix that doesn't mean anything at all, but means a lot to me and has now been on its sixth car.
Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

How would a carpark with ANPR enforcement cope with German tourists with these registration plates?
exiled
Committee Member

Post by exiled »

Vierwielen wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 20:45
How would a carpark with ANPR enforcement cope with German tourists with these registration plates?
Badly. If it cannot cope with pre 2001 plates it is not going to cope with non UK plates.
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

exiled wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 20:48
Vierwielen wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 20:45
Badly. If it cannot cope with pre 2001 plates it is not going to cope with non UK plates.
... and especially not ones with diacritics such as umlauts that are not part of the English alphabet. I'm guessing those plates came from Würzburg and Göttingen.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

wallmeerkat

Post by wallmeerkat »

I remember taking a driving holiday from NI to Kent. At Whitstable there was a car park where you got your ticket it asked for 2 numbers from your numberplate. I assumed it was set up for the AB51 CDE format plates rather than ABZ 1234. I entered the first 2 of the NI reg and it seemed to work. Not sure how it would work presumably there are a lot of cars of a similar age going to have the same eg. '65' etc.

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/canterbury ... ut-191969/
BeenEverywhere

Post by BeenEverywhere »

That's probably just to stop you giving your ticket to someone else when you've finished early.
Been everywhere... can't remember any of it

Was fun though :laugh:
JAY68

Post by JAY68 »

Hi

I cam through Rosudgeon in Cornwall on Sunday, and saw these Didgital boards, displaying both speed and registration.

Are these in for inforcable by police ie speeding tickets?

Cheers
Jay
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

JAY68 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 16:56 Hi

I cam through Rosudgeon in Cornwall on Sunday, and saw these Didgital boards, displaying both speed and registration.

Cheers
Jay
Unlikely, they're not usually calibrated to the correct level of precision for prosecution purposes.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

JAY68

Post by JAY68 »

Chris Bertram wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 17:27
JAY68 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 16:56 Hi

Cheers
Jay
Unlikely, they're not usually calibrated to the correct level of precision for prosecution purposes.
RichardA35 wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 15:05 Just an enhanced SID really
https://www.cornwall.gov.uk/transport-p ... -cornwall/
and their data processing of the numberplate data
https://www.cornwall.gov.uk/transport-p ... cy-notice/
Thanks Chris, it said I was over and was Red, but so we're all the other cars in front aswell.
Little Owl

Post by Little Owl »

I know the signs don't store data, but I think the ANPR Enabled Electronic Signs doesn't give any council who uses them a good image in the context of data protection and privacy.