A8002 Thurso?

Found anything interesting on "The Roader's Digest" - the SABRE Wiki? Talk about articles in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Summers-lad

A8002 Thurso?

Post by Summers-lad »

The wiki article for A840 mentions the B874 having been extended over the former A840, "also displacing the A8002". However the wiki for A8002 only mentions its existence in Wick. Is there any evidence of there ever having been an A8002 in Thurso, or is this just an error? If there was an A8002 there it must have been very short indeed.
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Re: A8002 Thurso?

Post by Steven »

I can't find the A8002, but I can find a new version of the A800. It seems to head across Thurso Bridge.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

rileyrob

Post by rileyrob »

Apologies, that would be a typo by me. It should be the A8001. I discounted that particular map as an error, primarily because other maps show the A8001 (if they show a number at all) and the idea of a useless multiplex with both the A882 and A836 like that seems absurd!
Rob.
My mission is to travel every road and visit every town, village and hamlet in the British Isles.
I don't like thinking about how badly I am doing.

From the SABRE Wiki: A8001 :

The A8001 was first recorded on the 1934 edition of the Ordnance Survey ten mile map. Despite not appearing again on road maps, leading to an assumption it had been swept away in the 1935 Road numbering revision, it is still shown on the 1959 1:10560 map of Thurso in Sir Johns Square, apparently connecting the A882 and A840. However, as the number is marked in the square itself, rather than on a road, it is not clear whether the number applies to the north, south or both sides

... Read More
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

rileyrob wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 07:51 I discounted that particular map as an error, primarily because other maps show the A8001 (if they show a number at all) and the idea of a useless multiplex with both the A882 and A836 like that seems absurd!
Yes, the A800 number does seem rather unlikely, but then it does appear in a number of revisions, so no idea.

Either way, we should probably have a page on it anyway, clearly stating that we think it's probably a mapping error as it appears on more than one map edition.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!