Out of date route confirmation signs

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Conekicker

Re: Out of date route confirmation signs

Post by Conekicker »

The mileages for Stranraer at the eastern end of the A75 are wrong by a few miles. I noticed this a couple of years ago when heading that way, with Stranraer as the destination set on the sat nav. The sat nav said one thing, the RCS's said another, 4-5 miles difference as I recall. It's only as you travel further west that the distances on the RCSs become correct.

The cumulative result of various bypasses/carriageway realignments over the years perhaps?
Patience is not a virtue - it's a concept invented by the dozy beggars who are unable to think quickly enough.
multiraider2

Post by multiraider2 »

We have had this sign posted in other contexts, but it is also out of date, given the Ramsgate Port ferry service closure. The mileages all nicely shown as the same are also not quite right. The route to Ramsgate would have been extended by the new A299 section which passes (what is now) Thanet Parkway Station. Despite this, Google maps makes it only 25.7 miles. Dover Port check in for the ferries is 25.4 miles and as for the Channel Tunnel, you should have gone on that other motorway. If you are now on this route, I don't know if they are intending for you to go via the A2, A260 and A20 but if so that is 28.2 miles. You can get 27.5 miles by going via the A2 and B2068.

Still it's a neat sign.

There is also the RCS sign approaching the tunnel to Ramsgate Port which still shows a ferry service, but I've banged on about that one elsewhere.
wallmeerkat

Post by wallmeerkat »

multiraider2 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:44 We have had this sign posted in other contexts, but it is also out of date, given the Ramsgate Port ferry service closure. The mileages all nicely shown as the same are also not quite right. The route to Ramsgate would have been extended by the new A299 section which passes (what is now) Thanet Parkway Station. Despite this, Google maps makes it only 25.7 miles. Dover Port check in for the ferries is 25.4 miles and as for the Channel Tunnel, you should have gone on that other motorway. If you are now on this route, I don't know if they are intending for you to go via the A2, A260 and A20 but if so that is 28.2 miles. You can get 27.5 miles by going via the A2 and B2068.

Still it's a neat sign.

There is also the RCS sign approaching the tunnel to Ramsgate Port which still shows a ferry service, but I've banged on about that one elsewhere.
Approaching the Ramsgate roundabout theres a big closed shutter that until 2021 GSV showed Ferry terminal

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.3352057 ... ?entry=ttu
multiraider2

Post by multiraider2 »

wallmeerkat wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 15:10
multiraider2 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:44 We have had this sign posted in other contexts, but it is also out of date, given the Ramsgate Port ferry service closure. The mileages all nicely shown as the same are also not quite right. The route to Ramsgate would have been extended by the new A299 section which passes (what is now) Thanet Parkway Station. Despite this, Google maps makes it only 25.7 miles. Dover Port check in for the ferries is 25.4 miles and as for the Channel Tunnel, you should have gone on that other motorway. If you are now on this route, I don't know if they are intending for you to go via the A2, A260 and A20 but if so that is 28.2 miles. You can get 27.5 miles by going via the A2 and B2068.

Still it's a neat sign.

Approaching the Ramsgate roundabout theres a big closed shutter that until 2021 GSV showed Ferry terminal

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.3352057 ... ?entry=ttu
Noted, thanks. That, at least, is half the battle. For the purpose of this thread here's the still extant (2023) RCS. Can just be scrapped.
Rillington

Post by Rillington »

Thank you for those postings, and I agree that the all ports 27 miles away sign is a cool RCS, not east because all three ports are seen as being 27 miles away.