A30 Carland Cross Chiverton Cross

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

RichardEvans67

Re: A30 Carland Cross Chiverton Cross

Post by RichardEvans67 »

RichardLP wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 15:16
Due to the Penycomequick lane closure I have to join the A30 at Carland Cross approaching from the A39. The outside lane now only goes to the services (and a minor road) so both EB and WB A30 traffic use the inside lane. This will be the cause of long delays for WB users as we could previously approach the roundabout on an uncongested inside lane.
I had to think about this, but got what you mean now. As Turo traffic going to A30 EB would previously not have needed to go under the bridge, it would have been in a different lane. That's not possible now. Well hopefully you will only need to put up with that for about 2 months.
Gaz909909

Post by Gaz909909 »

By the sounds of things we are talking six to eight weeks of this configuration. HOWEVER Easter is going to be horrific at this roundabout!!
IAN

Post by IAN »

Gaz909909 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 18:29 By the sounds of things we are talking six to eight weeks of this configuration. HOWEVER Easter is going to be horrific at this roundabout!!
They may be hoping to open the wb off slip before that, which would mean traffic would only have to wait for Truro and services traffic before entering the roundabout rather than the current situation of waiting and hoping that drivers on the roundabout who are heading onto the A30 east of Carland will indicate their intentions in good time.
AKA M5 Driver
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

IAN wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 18:57 They may be hoping to open the wb off slip before that, which would mean traffic would only have to wait for Truro and services traffic before entering the roundabout rather than the current situation of waiting and hoping that drivers on the roundabout who are heading onto the A30 east of Carland will indicate their intentions in good time.
Although Easter starts in about 2 days. Then again, if the previous route is still there, perhaps they could reconfigure it as a very temporary WB off Slip. (signposted Truro and Services.)
Last edited by RichardEvans67 on Wed Mar 27, 2024 19:15, edited 1 time in total.
Gaz909909

Post by Gaz909909 »

They are coming thick and fast now!

Kernowviddy:
https://youtu.be/-A8n7V8iKhc?feature=shared
SteveA30

Post by SteveA30 »

The emphasis on the end of May could be because the Spring half term starts on May 25 until June 2, one of the busiest holiday weeks.
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

Observations of the KV video.

0:20 Previous Carland route.
Cones already removed. So it doesn't look like they plan on using it to ease the Easter congestion.

1:23 A bit west of Carland.
There appears to be a narrow cutting, too narrow for the D2, with a raised shelf on the left. The most likely explanation I can think of here is that they simply haven't finished this bit of cutting. You can just see the route at the western end of the shelf. Presumably for plant to get onto it and keep removing the top until they get it down to the required level.

2:01 Pennycomequick bridge.
The D2 over the bridge seems to be progressing nicely.
No fence so far to stop people falling off the bridge.
No sign of the lane under the bridge yet.
There is also a tall thin column next to the D2 just west of the bridge. A noticeable concrete base next to this. I think perhaps a CCTV tower?

4:42 West of Chybucca
In many places they have taken land from the old A30, for the verge and the Cornish hedge between LAR and D2. They have barely started on the other side, so bits of the LAR currently look very narrow. Presumably it's a much lower priority than the D2. The WB carriageway of the D2 is looking nearly there.

---------
There are plenty of other things, but I didn't spot anything we didn't already know about.
AAndy

Post by AAndy »

Nearside videos from last week: West: https://youtu.be/R-TwzEbJVEc
East (only chiverton to carland roundabouts): https://youtu.be/H23o6Rgc0uA
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

https://www.google.com/maps/@50.350216, ... ?entry=ttu

EB seems to be closed from Carland and Mitchell. Interestingly WB seems to be slowest at Mitchel. Perhaps people looking at whatever has happened at Mitchell :|.
SteveA30

Post by SteveA30 »

More interestingly, something happened nearer to Exeter as well. E/bnd closed from Cheriton to Exeter A377. Queues from Whiddon Down. can't make it but, I have been there 6 times previously......
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

AAndy wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 15:01 Nearside videos from last week: West: https://youtu.be/R-TwzEbJVEc
East (only chiverton to carland roundabouts): https://youtu.be/H23o6Rgc0uA
WB at about 3:40. A section of embankment looks not quite up to the same level as the rest. It's not nearly as smooth as the rest and the hard edge isn't there yet. So looks like that bit of embankment is not quite done yet. Perhaps the wet weather stopped them from finishing it.

EB just before Carland, there is quite a lot of activity near the pond. Also I noticed a bit west of the pond is the end of a small culvert. The plans show the outfall from the pond going through a short pipe and into a ditch. This is probably that. (The ditch carries on NW going down hill until the start of a watercourse).
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

SteveA30 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 15:46 More interestingly, something happened nearer to Exeter as well. E/bnd closed from Cheriton to Exeter A377. Queues from Whiddon Down. can't make it but, I have been there 6 times previously......
Looks like it's a bit of a silly season for traffic.
AAndy

Post by AAndy »

RichardEvans67 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 16:28
SteveA30 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 15:46 More interestingly, something happened nearer to Exeter as well. E/bnd closed from Cheriton to Exeter A377. Queues from Whiddon Down. can't make it but, I have been there 6 times previously......
Looks like it's a bit of a silly season for traffic.
The delays at Mitchell are just because of the awkward roundabout at carland

whiddon is because: "Road closed and queueing traffic due to crash investigation work on A30 Eastbound from (Woodleigh Junction) to (Fingle Glen). Congestion to Whiddon Down. Trapped traffic continues being turned around, road closed around 11:40"
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

AAndy wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 16:52 The delays at Mitchell are just because of the awkward roundabout at carland
It actually shows the A30 closed from Carland to Mitchell. That must be more than just an awkward roundabout. I wonder if somebody EB was so fed up of the congestion, that they did something silly when they got to Mitchell.

Edit:
A thought. I wonder if google is currently still confused by the change of layout. It might be showing road closed, because the previous route is now closed.
AAndy

Post by AAndy »

Ah, yes.... they show the old road as closed....but more so than that the eastbound D2 also closed (which shows up when on overview) but zoom in and the traffic flow is correctly shown (on AA at least).
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

AAndy wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 18:56 Ah, yes.... they show the old road as closed....but more so than that the eastbound D2 also closed (which shows up when on overview) but zoom in and the traffic flow is correctly shown (on AA at least).
I get the EB closed, but the WB open (All on the previous alignment). I figured that if the computer is confused, then who knows what it will do until it sorts itself out.
SteveA30

Post by SteveA30 »

Romanse - Hampshire roads website, show the earlier layout at Carland as still open. The w/bnd old D2 then over the bridge - zoom in and scroll.

It also shows chaos from Andover to Cornwall. Accident closure at Cholderton A338, flood closure from A36 to A350 both ways, accident total closure from Zeals to end of Mere bypass, long queue on Sparkford bypass for the roadworks, still closed on A30 at Cheriton Bishop until after midnight. Anyone setting out tonight to avoid queues tomorrow, has made an unfortunate decision.

Now, the Chicklade flood closure has been extended to the Mere accident closure.......

https://www.romanse.org.uk/
Gaz909909

Post by Gaz909909 »

Google maps now updated at Carnon Cross and Chivvy.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/jAYY7HFUCuqminXS6
Hdeng16

Post by Hdeng16 »

Gaz909909 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 19:37 Google maps now updated at Carnon Cross and Chivvy.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/jAYY7HFUCuqminXS6
Traffic flow is still wrong. Still busy all day through carland
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

Gaz909909 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 19:37 Google maps now updated at Carnon Cross and Chivvy.
I'd noticed they had added the new route to the map, but the Traffic Layer is still on the old route, and still shows up as closed. Google maps seems to take ages to sort itself out properly. I think the Travalso bit took about a month before it started showing correctly.