Another bridge strike

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Vierwielen

Re: Another bridge strike

Post by Vierwielen »

Truvelo wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 19:37 One of our trailers was involved in a bridge strike yesterday. An agency driver tried to negotiate a 13' bridge even though the trailer is 4.2m tall. The damage seems confined to the roof so as long as the frame isn't twisted it should be repairable.
You quoted the height of the trailer in metres and the bridge clearance in feet. Was the bridge clearance quoted in both feet and metres? I know that when new signs are erected, they must have both.
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

Vierwielen wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 18:13
Truvelo wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 19:37 One of our trailers was involved in a bridge strike yesterday. An agency driver tried to negotiate a 13' bridge even though the trailer is 4.2m tall. The damage seems confined to the roof so as long as the frame isn't twisted it should be repairable.
You quoted the height of the trailer in metres and the bridge clearance in feet. Was the bridge clearance quoted in both feet and metres? I know that when new signs are erected, they must have both.
The trailer struck this bridge which has three warning signs on each side. The height is shown in feet and metres. Although the trailers height is declared as 14' or 4.2m they are actually only 13'8", but even so they would have hit the bridge anyway.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

Truvelo wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 20:58
Vierwielen wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 18:13
The trailer struck this bridge which has three warning signs on each side. The height is shown in feet and metres. Although the trailers height is declared as 14' or 4.2m they are actually only 13'8", but even so they would have hit the bridge anyway.
Did the driver set his height indicator in the cab to the corect value?
Was the driver following satnav and if so, didit give warnings of low bridges?

Looking at the pictures of the bridges, I noticed a lot of rust which tended to hide the signs. Maybe the signs needed to have a yellow background.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

The DfT have vehemently denied that they have purposefully relaxed driving standards for HGVs because of Brexit, but seeing some of the absolutely scandalous HGV driving quality recently it rings somewhat hollow to say they have improved standards.

My grandfather would spin if he saw what truckers are like these days.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
rhyds

Post by rhyds »

Bryn666 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 09:42 The DfT have vehemently denied that they have purposefully relaxed driving standards for HGVs because of Brexit, but seeing some of the absolutely scandalous HGV driving quality recently it rings somewhat hollow to say they have improved standards.

Speaking to a friend who does HGV deliveries for a major supermarket's contractor the issue isn't the DfT, but rather HMRC. Brexit had an impact on getting new EU drivers in, however IR35 taxation reforms pushed a lot of EU drivers to relocate, most of those being the experienced, hard working, easy to find other work drivers.
Built for comfort, not speed.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

rhyds wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:00
Bryn666 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 09:42 The DfT have vehemently denied that they have purposefully relaxed driving standards for HGVs because of Brexit, but seeing some of the absolutely scandalous HGV driving quality recently it rings somewhat hollow to say they have improved standards.

Speaking to a friend who does HGV deliveries for a major supermarket's contractor the issue isn't the DfT, but rather HMRC. Brexit had an impact on getting new EU drivers in, however IR35 taxation reforms pushed a lot of EU drivers to relocate, most of those being the experienced, hard working, easy to find other work drivers.
That definitely won't have helped. Not that I am advocating for the return of a monolithic state bureaucracy but if only there was some organisation dealing with logistics and distribution that was not reliant on self-employed people who will up sticks very easily if provoked.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
B1040

Post by B1040 »

Went to Ely yesterday. Didn't really look at "the" bridge, but went past it.
It looks as if there are traffic lights controlling the bridge, I don't know whether they're linked to a height detection system.
Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

Bryn666 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:06
rhyds wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:00

That definitely won't have helped. Not that I am advocating for the return of a monolithic state bureaucracy but if only there was some organisation dealing with logistics and distribution that was not reliant on self-employed people who will up sticks very easily if provoked.
Having self-employed drivers (or agencies that provide an vehicle through which contractors can work) allows companies to call on drivers when they are needed and not have then sitting idle during slack periods. The premium that such contractors earn compensates for the ups and downs of the market. IR35 is the result of HMRC trying to take more than their fair share of tacation.