M60 Junction 18 Simister Island Interchange

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

jackal

Re: M60 Junction 18 Simister Island Interchange

Post by jackal »

M64 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 15:49
  • The M60 c/w right turn (using the loop) is the first exit, the left turn to M66 is the second exit, this seems quite unusual and somewhat counter-intuitive, I can't think of another free-flow interchange in the UK where the right turn turn is on the left (first exit)? (No doubt others will think of some now I've written this)
It doesn't strike me as too unusual, e.g., A2wb at M25/A2, M3sb at M3/M27. Some foreign stacks are laid out with all the turns like this to save space - there are many around Dallas (e.g., https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@32.64795 ... ?entry=ttu).

You do make some good observations though.
AnOrdinarySABREUser

Re: M60 Junction 18 Simister Island Interchange

Post by AnOrdinarySABREUser »

I've added the scheme to OSM - please note that the links will not render for the time being as they're not yet under construction.
OpenStreetMap link
To see the links, you can zoom into the junction, click on the three tiles (bars) on your screen and then map data. This can lag your PC/phone so take caution.

Happy roadgeeking! :wink:
AOSU
Mapping roads and schemes on OpenStreetMap!