A19

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

owen b

Re: A19

Post by owen b »

varga wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 17:25
Glenn A wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 13:41 Then there is the A19 south of Thirsk which is S2 and still goes through York as a non primary route. It's like a completely different road to the section from Thirsk to Seaton Burn, but has a much lower volume of traffic. Easingwold being by passed was a big improvement, though.
growing up in Durham, A1 and A59 was the usual route for York... I knew A19 was all dual north of Boro and south of the Tyne, so what I assumed was that the whole lot of that road was dual! so getting driven onto that road south of thirsk for the first time was... interesting
its what I imagine the whole route looked like pre the 1960s
This brings back memories of a school trip back in the 1980s. We had to get from Durham to York. The coach driver decided to go from Durham across to the A19 (I can't remember whether we got there via the A181 or A689) which surprised me, as I assumed we would go A1 / A59, which was the obvious route in my mind. It was interesting for me though, as I wasn't very familiar with the A19. What the clueless coach driver hadn't realised was that the A19 TOTSOs at Thirsk, and in those pre-sat nav days he didn't have any help and if there was a turn off sign for York at Thirsk he missed it. We ended up back on the A1 at Dishforth. We got to York eventually.
Owen