M25 junction 28 improvements

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Fluid Dynamics

Re: M25 junction 28 improvements

Post by Fluid Dynamics »

My aim was to show how an option building the same number of structures could have taken considerable strain off the roundabout. I wish I had responded at the time as I did wonder why HA didn’t consider such a design, considering the preferred option.
Runwell

Re: M25 junction 28 improvements

Post by Runwell »

Bryn666 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:21
SouthWest Philip wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:20
jackal wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:07 One of the rejected options was similar to the nice idea above, though with excess structures.
Another option would have been to sacrifice the free flow for the A12 to the west and run it up to the roundabout on the line of the westbound on-slip. No need then for bridges to cross the M25 on-slip or eastbound A12.

Such an arrangement would send the message the through traffic on the A12 into London is discouraged. For central London, M25/M11 is quicker to Redbridge than the A12 anyway. Perhaps make the A12 west an extension of the A118 and extend thd A127 to Redbridge?
This would make sense as well - especially given it won't be long before Gallows Corner falls apart and is likely replaced with an at-grade junction anyway.
Plans are in place for a replacement flyover at Gallows Corner. The existing structure is already down to 20mph and restricted to lighter vehicles, so there's clearly not much life left in the current flyover.