A30 Carland Cross Chiverton Cross

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Gaz909909

Re: A30 Carland Cross Chiverton Cross

Post by Gaz909909 »

Now I get why they wanted a contraflow on the Westbound carriageway. The central res has been completed. Got it!
Gaz909909

Post by Gaz909909 »

Also:

Google Maps currently making a complete hash of the current layout, stating that the old A30 is closed east of Chybucca (true) but without actually showing the new layout.

Also, traffic at Chivvy and Carland Cross (I finally worked out how to spell it!!) looks horrific right now.
RichardLP

Post by RichardLP »

Gaz909909 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 17:25 Also, traffic at Chivvy and Carland Cross (I finally worked out how to spell it!!) looks horrific right now.
The original Carland Cross roundabout only now serves northbound A39 traffic and the local road to Ladock with the services.

The new roundabout, which will carry A30 traffic until the flyover is completed, has only by a single lane in all directions and will prove a greater bottleneck than the original.
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

Gaz909909 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 17:25 Also:

Google Maps currently making a complete hash of the current layout, stating that the old A30 is closed east of Chybucca (true) but without actually showing the new layout.
About normal for them. It seems to take several weeks for them to get it right. I suspect computer programs have to notice that the GPS traces have changed, which probably takes time. It's only in the last few days that they have got the current Carland layout about right.

Last time I looked, I also saw the old A30 east of Chybucca shown as closed. Well it is sort of closed. I expect it will be several weeks before they start showing the new A30 route as open. Further east near Zelah, there wasn't any change shown last time I looked.
Last edited by RichardEvans67 on Tue Apr 16, 2024 04:07, edited 1 time in total.
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

Articles are starting to appear about the Criverton WCH bridge. Such as this one:
https://www.cornwall.gov.uk/council-new ... chiverton/

I haven't read much of it, but others may be interested.
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

Gaz909909 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 17:22 Now I get why they wanted a contraflow on the Westbound carriageway. The central res has been completed. Got it!
I think it's actually on the east bound carriageway. I also seem to have the same problem. I frequently seem to get east and west mixed up, and frequently have to edit my posts. Usually I at least spot the errors before I post them. (but not always).
Ruperts Trooper

Post by Ruperts Trooper »

RichardEvans67 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 04:13
Gaz909909 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 17:22 Now I get why they wanted a contraflow on the Westbound carriageway. The central res has been completed. Got it!
I think it's actually on the east bound carriageway. I also seem to have the same problem. I frequently seem to get east and west mixed up, and frequently have to edit my posts. Usually I at least spot the errors before I post them. (but not always).
Is that a form of dyslexia? I have a friend who sometimes navigates on days out, I have to watch his hand signals and ignore his verbal instructions as they're often contradictory - he also has number dyslexia yet he was a quantity surveyor - none of this was diagnosed until he was in his 60s.
Lifelong motorhead
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

Ruperts Trooper wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 08:24
Is that a form of dyslexia? I have a friend who sometimes navigates on days out, I have to watch his hand signals and ignore his verbal instructions as they're often contradictory - he also has number dyslexia yet he was a quantity surveyor - none of this was diagnosed until he was in his 60s.
That is a thought. I've never been tested for dyslexia, but I've always been poor at spelling. So I might be to some extent. Anyway, I frequently find that when I have to post about east or west, and then read what I have typed, I realise I have got it wrong. Although I never seem to have any problem with north or south.

Also I've never had any problem with giving directions. Although that doesn't usually involve telling people to turn east or west.
Paul237

Post by Paul237 »

I sometimes mix up east and west with the A30 in Cornwall. I think because - in my mind - the further you go into Cornwall, the further south you go. Plus much of the A30 there runs NE to SW.

I get why they use east and west for the A30, but I think that's why I sometimes confuse them. In my mind, when I drive to Cornwall I think I'm going to the west country and that helps me remember. :)
Gaz909909

Post by Gaz909909 »

I just wasn't concentrating!!
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

Paul237 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:33 I sometimes mix up east and west with the A30 in Cornwall. I think because - in my mind - the further you go into Cornwall, the further south you go. Plus much of the A30 there runs NE to SW.
For me it's no just roads. I once talked about the international space station, appearing over the eastern horizon and going across the sky to the west. Oops.
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

Gaz909909 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:42 I just wasn't concentrating!!
I just didn't want to sound too critical when I pointed out your mistake. After that it must have snowballed a bit.
Paul237

Post by Paul237 »

RichardEvans67 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:55
Paul237 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:33 I sometimes mix up east and west with the A30 in Cornwall. I think because - in my mind - the further you go into Cornwall, the further south you go. Plus much of the A30 there runs NE to SW.
For me it's no just roads. I once talked about the international space station, appearing over the eastern horizon and going across the sky to the west. Oops.
I hear you! I find it can be exacerbated with roads when I'm driving and I approach unfamiliar busy roundabouts or junctions and I see signs that only give the road name and direction, rather than any destinations. I find myself thinking "is [place name] east or west from here?!" while I decide what lane to be in.

Sorry I'm going a bit off topic, so to bring it back, I've been following the A30 dualling mostly from a selfish point of view because I'm driving down to west Cornwall in June. I had been hoping it'd all be finished by then, but that's looking increasingly unlikely. I'll be travelling on a Friday which is busy at the best of times. I've resigned myself to the fact I'll be sitting in traffic. But then I suppose if this dualling was done I'd be sitting in traffic at Loggans Moor roundabout (unless I took the old A30 through Connor Downs).
RichardLP

Post by RichardLP »

I've driven down the new section and it would now appear that it is not possible to leave the A30 between Boxheater and the new Chiverton roundabout? I've got some very shaky dashcam footage that would seem to confirm this.
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

RichardLP wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 15:40 I've driven down the new section and it would now appear that it is not possible to leave the A30 between Boxheater and the new Chiverton roundabout?
I think that'll be because Chybucca only has west facing slip roads.
Keiji

Post by Keiji »

Paul237 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 14:41 Sorry I'm going a bit off topic, so to bring it back, I've been following the A30 dualling mostly from a selfish point of view because I'm driving down to west Cornwall in June. I had been hoping it'd all be finished by then, but that's looking increasingly unlikely. I'll be travelling on a Friday which is busy at the best of times. I've resigned myself to the fact I'll be sitting in traffic. But then I suppose if this dualling was done I'd be sitting in traffic at Loggans Moor roundabout (unless I took the old A30 through Connor Downs).
Similarly, I'm going to be driving to Redruth in June - but in my case I'm heading down very early on a Sunday morning and returning in the afternoon/evening.

I'm going to assume that there'll be a weekend closure on at the time, but I don't suppose there'll be much traffic on a Sunday. Is anyone familiar with how much longer the usual official diversion route takes compared to going through the roadworks, when there isn't traffic? (Or are Sundays actually a lot busier than I'm imagining?)

I was planning on allowing an extra half hour for it each way.
Gaz909909

Post by Gaz909909 »

From what I understand it should be open from sometime in June. You might be lucky.
Sam S

Post by Sam S »

Yep to confirm it's the eastbound carriageway (which will be for traffic from Chiverton to Carland) that the contraflow is on.
RichardLP wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 15:40 I've driven down the new section and it would now appear that it is not possible to leave the A30 between Boxheater and the new Chiverton roundabout? I've got some very shaky dashcam footage that would seem to confirm this.
That's what I saw too. As there is a no right turn to Henver lane.
Keiji wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 16:52
Paul237 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 14:41 Sorry I'm going a bit off topic, so to bring it back, I've been following the A30 dualling mostly from a selfish point of view because I'm driving down to west Cornwall in June. I had been hoping it'd all be finished by then, but that's looking increasingly unlikely. I'll be travelling on a Friday which is busy at the best of times. I've resigned myself to the fact I'll be sitting in traffic. But then I suppose if this dualling was done I'd be sitting in traffic at Loggans Moor roundabout (unless I took the old A30 through Connor Downs).
I'm going to assume that there'll be a weekend closure on at the time, but I don't suppose there'll be much traffic on a Sunday. Is anyone familiar with how much longer the usual official diversion route takes compared to going through the roadworks, when there isn't traffic? (Or are Sundays actually a lot busier than I'm imagining?)
The closures from Chiverton to Boxheater are usually fine in the westbound (Chiverton / Redruth direction) with the road being busy but moving. However eastbound (Carland / Bodmin direction) queues can develop from the double mini roundabouts at Goonhavern all the way back to the cider farm / Callestick turning on the A3075 on a busy day. Although most of the time it's fine. If the closures are to Scorrier or Mitchell this usually causes more significant delays, particularly around Newquay and Scorrier, and is much longer for Westbound HGVs due to the low railway bridge.
Sam S

Post by Sam S »

According to OneNetwork, the remaining weekend closures are:

26 Apr 21:00 - 29 Apr 07:00 - Eastbound Scorrier to Boxheater and Westbound Boxheater to Chiverton. Presumably due to the low bridge Westbound and the A39 being in bad condition for the HGV route (Cornwall Council had to undertake emergency repairs). Wonder if this could be removing the reduction to one lane before Chiverton? Preceded by weeknight closures.

10 May 21:00 - 13 May 07:00 - Both directions Chiverton to Boxheater. Preceded by weeknight closures but with the closure starting from Scorrier Eastbound for these.

17 May 21:00 - 20 May 07:00 - Both directions Chiverton to Boxheater. No preceding weeknight closures. Seems to be the week after previous closure due to half term.

7 Jun 21:00 - 10 Jun 07:00 - Both directions Chiverton to Mitchell. Preceding weeknight closures. Could be the new road opening in full on Monday 10th June as this is the only set of closures including Carland and the final set currently online.
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

Gaz909909 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 18:18 From what I understand it should be open from sometime in June. You might be lucky.
That's if things go to plan. But so far the weather doesn't seem to be cooperating.