Short lived railway bridge over the east cross route

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

philnic

Short lived railway bridge over the east cross route

Post by philnic »

Just to satisfy my curiousity, I am after a picture of said bridge. I have often looked at the ski jump before heading into the underpass on the A12, almost obscured now by undergrowth, and wondered what it looked like when the bridge was there, presumably crossing the east cross route at quite an angle and landing at the back of Cadogan Terrace. It must have had a pretty short life, I wonder if many railway bridges lasted a shorter time, and despite searching have never found a picture.
Herned

Re: Short lived railway bridge over the east cross route

Post by Herned »

philnic wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:32 Just to satisfy my curiousity, I am after a picture of said bridge. I have often looked at the ski jump before heading into the underpass on the A12, almost obscured now by undergrowth, and wondered what it looked like when the bridge was there, presumably crossing the east cross route at quite an angle and landing at the back of Cadogan Terrace. It must have had a pretty short life, I wonder if many railway bridges lasted a shorter time, and despite searching have never found a picture.
There's one at the bottom of this page:
http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/v/vi ... ndex.shtml
philnic

Post by philnic »

Lovely thanks. It looks pretty impressive there. Am now hunting for one from the roadway as it must have seemed huge from there. Can also see why the junction has high walls as support for those massive beams Seems it was opened in '72 and the tracks lifted by '83.
Brenley Corner

Post by Brenley Corner »

Looking back to 2008 on Streetview you can see that the lighting columns (no longer present today) were much shorter where the bridge would have crossed on the skew than those either side. Sadly in the last 10 years all the lighting columns have been chopped and building work has taken place on the Cadogan Terrace side of the bridge where the track would have landed effectively airbrushing its existence even more.
Brenley Corner: congesting traffic since 1963; discussing roads since 2002
WHBM

Post by WHBM »

Close to home

This was the old North London Railway, which branched off just north of the East Cross Route and ran pretty parallel down to Poplar and the West India docks. The north end junction was just by the A12 bridge described, about a mile south, just at the Liverpool Street railway bridge, the DLR from Stratford picks up the alignment down to Poplar. The intervening track bed now has houses built on it.

Some time in 1983-84 I can remember driving north up the East Cross Route, and there was a locomotive standing on the alignment close to the road. I never saw another one, the goods depot at Poplar, and the docks, closed soon afterwards. Imported timber from the Baltic was a principal last freight for these docks and this railway.

The brutalist supports of the bridge were a distinctive feature, one still remains where the railway to Stratford crosses the southbound A12 here.
philnic

Post by philnic »

It was that massive support which first piqued my interest, and am fascinated to see what the others looked like! I am still hunting for road level footage or pictures.