Botched Roadsigns

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Conekicker

Re: Botched Roadsigns

Post by Conekicker »

OliverH wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 10:17
Conekicker wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 21:24
OliverH wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 19:43

And to Give way in Like 100 yards when it's a stop line.

https://www.google.com/maps/@55.0376445 ... ?entry=ttu

that plate should display the words stop above the distance to the stop line, shouldn't it?
The triangle is correct. It's the supplementary plate that is wrong. It should say "STOP 100 yds".
TSRGD Diagram 501, S2-6-1.
and just a tiny bit behind is another one that says 150 Yards.
To be sure presumably?
Patience is not a virtue - it's a concept invented by the dozy beggars who are unable to think quickly enough.
Nathan_A_RF

Post by Nathan_A_RF »

MotorwayGuy wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 12:18 There is also this thing?
The one on the other side is better. Almost.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.36953 ... ?entry=ttu
EthanL13

Post by EthanL13 »

vlad

Post by vlad »

I assume this one is on private land but that's no excuse for it to look the way it does. I have been wondering if the sign has some meaning that isn't immediately obvious but I think it's basically telling traffic to turn right in the same way as you would at any other roundabout.
"If you expect nothing from somebody you are never disappointed." - Sylvia Plath
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

Surely this one is wrong as Andorra isn't an EU member.
Attachments
andorra.jpg
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
SteelCamel

Post by SteelCamel »

Truvelo wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 19:22 Surely this one is wrong as Andorra isn't an EU member.
The twelve-starred flag isn't the flag of the EU, despite them being the main users. It's the flag of Europe, designed by the Council of Europe - and Andorra is a member of the Council of Europe.

The EU has never officially adopted a flag - though neither has the UK for that matter.
SteelCamel

Post by SteelCamel »

vlad wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 20:49 I assume this one is on private land but that's no excuse for it to look the way it does. I have been wondering if the sign has some meaning that isn't immediately obvious but I think it's basically telling traffic to turn right in the same way as you would at any other roundabout.
I'm assuming that it's aimed at foreign drivers, and is emphasising that they need to go around the roundabout clockwise not anticlockwise - in the same way as the "drive on the left" signs installed around ports.
tom66

Post by tom66 »

SteelCamel wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 19:56
Truvelo wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 19:22 Surely this one is wrong as Andorra isn't an EU member.
The twelve-starred flag isn't the flag of the EU, despite them being the main users. It's the flag of Europe, designed by the Council of Europe - and Andorra is a member of the Council of Europe.

The EU has never officially adopted a flag - though neither has the UK for that matter.
How official do you want? The EU says it's their flag:
https://european-union.europa.eu/princi ... an-flag_en
In 1983, the European Parliament decided that the Communities’ flag should be that used by the Council of Europe. In 1985, it was adopted by all EU leaders as the official emblem of the European Communities, later to become the European Union. In addition, all European institutions now have their own emblems.
Having said that, it can be used for non-EU institutions too. So I think the use for Andorra here is legitimate, as they are a member of the Council for Europe. They also have a very close relationship with the EU, and most of their foreign policy is supported by EU nations France and Spain.
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

This no u-turn sign looks dodgy
Attachments
uturn.jpg
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
Dougman

Post by Dougman »

Truvelo wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 21:13 This no u-turn sign looks dodgy
At least they managed to get the mini roundabout sign the correct way up (massive annoyance of mine when they aren't)
lose: (v): to suffer the deprivation of - to lose one's job; to lose one's life.

loose: (a): free or released from fastening or attachment - a loose end.
EthanL13

Post by EthanL13 »

Erm...
What is the exactly purpose of this sign?
And this sign has had its bottom part missing for over a decade, despite even being dismantled in 2019 when the road was widened.
jnty

Post by jnty »

EthanL13 wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 19:17 Erm...
What is the exactly purpose of this sign?
And this sign has had its bottom part missing for over a decade, despite even being dismantled in 2019 when the road was widened.
Reminds me of this faded project sign I spotted recently. It says "new traffic signals". I think the signals were probably installed around 2005 and have since been renewed.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

A small T-junction in Surrey where every sign gets the bracketing and patching wrong for the destinations associated with motorways: 1, 2, 3.

None of London, Basingstoke, M3 or M25 are mentioned on signs anywhere else on this road in either direction, so they shouldn't even be there in the first place.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Chris5156 wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 20:38 A small T-junction in Surrey where every sign gets the bracketing and patching wrong for the destinations associated with motorways: 1, 2, 3.

None of London, Basingstoke, M3 or M25 are mentioned on signs anywhere else on this road in either direction, so they shouldn't even be there in the first place.
Someone's been to France it seems as these seem to very badly copying these: https://maps.app.goo.gl/pvvvjHn8Rt6P1tvXA
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
BlueSky - https://bsky.app/profile/showmeasignbryn.bsky.social
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Komi san

Post by Komi san »

Weird looking M42 chopstick
https://maps.app.goo.gl/BDN8wjTA215nSypm9
JohnnyMo

Post by JohnnyMo »

This sign, my Sat Nav way saying turn left and I had no idea what the sign meant or if I was allowed to turn left ( Saturday Evening) Restrictions are applied at those times, or relaxed to allow additional traffic at those times?
“The simple step of a courageous individual is not to take part in the lie" - Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn
Johnny Mo
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

JohnnyMo wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 22:03 This sign, my Sat Nav way saying turn left and I had no idea what the sign meant or if I was allowed to turn left ( Saturday Evening) Restrictions are applied at those times, or relaxed to allow additional traffic at those times?
A blue circle means only the vehicles indicated within are permitted. The plate below tells you the times at which that restriction applies. So if it was between 3 and 7pm, and you were not driving a tram, bus, taxi or authorised vehicle, or riding a bicycle, then you were not allowed to turn left.
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
SteelCamel

Post by SteelCamel »

Chris5156 wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 22:10
JohnnyMo wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 22:03 This sign, my Sat Nav way saying turn left and I had no idea what the sign meant or if I was allowed to turn left ( Saturday Evening) Restrictions are applied at those times, or relaxed to allow additional traffic at those times?
A blue circle means only the vehicles indicated within are permitted. The plate below tells you the times at which that restriction applies. So if it was between 3 and 7pm, and you were not driving a tram, bus, taxi or authorised vehicle, or riding a bicycle, then you were not allowed to turn left.
However, if you're driving an HGV, you're not allowed to turn left even outside those times - which is not indicated in any way on this sign.
Jonathan24

Post by Jonathan24 »

Big L wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 18:01 Nearly, but not quite.
If you load at 4.30pm on a Wednesday, you'll get tasered? Seems harsh.