Clydeside Expressway

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Glenn A

Clydeside Expressway

Post by Glenn A »

Not as well known as the Glasgow Urban Motorway( M8), and built by Glasgow Corporation as the A814 is non primary, the Expressway forms part of the bold post war road plan for Glasgow that saw major improvements to the city's roads in the sixties and seventies. The road has acted as a D2 by pass of the West End and acts a fast link from the city centre to the Clyde Tunnel and has shortened journeys to Clydebank and into central Glasgow, and is quite an achievement and very much of its time with its concrete overpasses.
https://www.scottishroadsarchive.org/cl ... expressway
jackal

Re: Clydeside Expressway

Post by jackal »

It's a great road. A curiosity is that the grade separation was only completed 15 years ago. The freeflow junctions at either end suggest this was intended sooner!

A bugbear of mine at the otherwise magnificent A739/A814 junction is that there's briefly a solid line between the eastbound A814 "mainline" (actually a single lane slalom course) and the A739nb to A814eb turn but it becomes dashed just before the diverge for the A739sb, creating an extremely tight weaving space. A lick of paint would make this junction weaving free despite its eccentric design (except some weaving for the adjoining GSJ).

It's also frustrating that the M74 completion doesn't properly tie into the expressway freeflow ramps, pushing traffic onto city streets or the M8 through the city centre.
A303Chris
Gallery Curator

Post by A303Chris »

Just drove that on Google, looks like I may well be playing that a visit when I'm in Glasgow later this year.

I like the fact it has what i call Glasgow style motorway signs as well, complete with traditional warning signs.
The M25 - The road to nowhere
wallmeerkat

Post by wallmeerkat »

I recall the M8 onslip being very short - basically a dotted line, get on the expressway and hope someone lets you merge! Scottish road builders are fond of this - I remember Kingsway Dundee being the same.
Glenn A

Post by Glenn A »

The Clydeside Expressway was part of Glasgow's road improvement plan in the sixties and seventies and certainly sped up journey times from central Glasgow to the M8, Clyde Tunnel and Clydebank.