Crossing Paris

Going on holiday? Just returned with pictures or news? Found an interesting website? Post everything international in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

t1(M)

Crossing Paris

Post by t1(M) »

The "long" sea crossings being fully booked, I have to get myself from Calais to the (French) A20 on a Saturday, returning on a Sunday. Having no experience of doing this, can I ask if anyone has negotiated Paris at those times, and can recommend a route?
s
Study of the map suggets that using the the A26 and A1 is better than the A16, as the latter peters out in the northern suburbs. (Unless you know a go-around western Paris from the A16 to the A10?)

From the A1, the A3, Perepherique, A6, A10, A71 A20 looks best, but again, perhaps you know better?

Or maybe, is it worth avoiding Paris much further west, by using the A28 to Rouen, where I could pick up my usual route from Le Havre, using the N154 through Chartres to meet the A10 at Orleans?

Because of the distance involved, time is more important than Sabristic considerations (such as visiting Millau)! And, for present purposes, tolls are a necessary evil rather than something to be avoided. Another point to bear in mind is that none of my passengers have much interest in intricate navigation, so I must be able to commit the route to memory - no intricate back-doubles please!

Any help gratefully received.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Dependent on how comfortable you feel with Parisian traffic, I'd be more tempted to bypass Paris either via the A86 or the A104/N104 combo. Whilst these are both slightly longer than the Peripherique they both enable you to avoid the worst of central Paris.

The N104 terminates on the A10 north of St Arnoult and the A11, which puts you well on track for points south and Orleans.

Hope this of some use!
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Jam35

Re: Crossing Paris

Post by Jam35 »

t1(M) wrote:Study of the map suggets that using the the A26 and A1 is better than the A16, as the latter peters out in the northern suburbs.
The N1 isn't a bad road beyond the end of the A16 - it's had some significant upgrades. It begins to deteriorate inside the D104 (La Francilienne) though.

The A16 also has the advantage of missing out the second most boring autoroute in France (the A26 - only the A25 is more sleep-inducing IMHO).
(Unless you know a go-around western Paris from the A16 to the A10?)
I wouldn't recommend trying this - you'd probably end up in the middle of St-Germain-en-Laye or Versailles.

If you do try it, A16 - N1 - N184 - N13 (west!) - A13 (east!) - A12 - N10 - N191 - A10 - A71 - A20 is probably the best you can do.
From the A1, the A3, Perepherique, A6, A10, A71 A20 looks best, but again, perhaps you know better?
The Peripherique is horrible because too many people use it. And too many people use it because it's normally the quickest way across the Ile de France. The A86 is almost as bad, especially where the A4 comes along and tries to squeeze the proverbial quart.
Or maybe, is it worth avoiding Paris much further west, by using the A28 to Rouen, where I could pick up my usual route from Le Havre, using the N154 through Chartres to meet the A10 at Orleans?
Ah, the scenic route. :)
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Jam35 wrote:
(Unless you know a go-around western Paris from the A16 to the A10?)
I wouldn't recommend trying this - you'd probably end up in the middle of St-Germain-en-Laye or Versailles.
Indeed, many's the time I've gone round that way and ended up driving literally around the Palace of Versailles. However, it does break the monotony of a 1,000 mile motorway trip!
The Peripherique is horrible because too many people use it. And too many people use it because it's normally the quickest way across the Ile de France. The A86 is almost as bad, especially where the A4 comes along and tries to squeeze the proverbial quart.

The A86 does suffer from a fair bit of congestion, but at least the motorway standard is good - the thing I hate most about the peripherique is the constant junctions with sliproads with no merge length....
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Flashheart

Post by Flashheart »

Had to get on the A20 coming from the north (A2> A1) myself some time ago and took the A3/A86 bypass on both ways. A lot of interchanges along that stretch, though very decently signposted as Lyon/Nantes/Bordeaux all the way from the A1. The interchanges and all the bends just slow you down in case of fluid traffic.
The matrices always seem to give good info on the state of traffic, so if i had to do it again i'd take the A3 and then decide there based on traffic and time of day(rush hour or not) to get on the Péripherique or carry on the A86.
No experience with the western bypass though on the map it looks to me like even interchanges and curves.
t1(M)

Post by t1(M) »

Thanks for all the advice>

A86: both my 2006 maps show the A86 between j18 (Fontenay) and the A4 as under construction - has it been completed?
Jam35 wrote: The N1 ...........begins to deteriorate inside the D104 (La Francilienne) though.
What's the D104 itself like - not as good as the A and N sections of the Francillienne?
Jam35 wrote:A16 - N1 - N184 - N13 (west!) - A13 (east!) - A12 - N10 - N191 - A10
That's a big detour - I take it then that the A13 (east) and N186 short cut visible on the map through St-Germain-en-Laye is not recommended for some reason?

I've used the Perepherique on a Sunday morning without problems - is Saturday very different?
Flashheart

Post by Flashheart »

t1(M) wrote:
I've used the Perepherique on a Sunday morning without problems - is Saturday very different?
There are lots of sites that give real time information on the traffic situation of the ile de france region. Maybe you can go take a look at one at the similar moments of the week you're going to pass Paris and see where there's trouble on those moments.
The first site that popped up when i googled for it was:
http://www.sytadin.tm.fr/
but perhaps there are better sites available.
Oh yeah, just remember when looking at those maps, since we drive on the right hand side here, traffic jams are on the right hand side as well ;-)
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

AIUI the entire A86 is open apart from the Tunnel on the western flank. The section between the A3 and A4 has been around for about 15 years now.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Jam35

Post by Jam35 »

t1(M) wrote:
Jam35 wrote: The N1 ...........begins to deteriorate inside the D104 (La Francilienne) though.
What's the D104 itself like - not as good as the A and N sections of the Francillienne?
Like this:

It's effectively a Bx(M)!
Jam35 wrote:A16 - N1 - N184 - N13 (west!) - A13 (east!) - A12 - N10 - N191 - A10
That's a big detour - I take it then that the A13 (east) and N186 short cut visible on the map through St-Germain-en-Laye is not recommended for some reason?
Actually, it's probably fine (St-Germain-en-Laye will probably be slow, but you'll only skirt the town* and you'll go past M Dumas' little country pile). Just don't miss the A12/A13 turning (it's a parclo combined with a semi-directional-T!), or you'll have a very scenic tour of Versailles. Alternatively, don't be in a hurry and enjoy Versailles.

You could also use the D386 to lop off one of the big bends on the N186.

* incidentally, this is the same St-Germain as in "the Treaty of", signed in the pretty impressive Ch?teau, which now houses the Mus?e des Antiquit?s Nationales, which is well worth a visit. For railway geeks, the first railway in France serves the town, but the station is now modern and underground.
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Jam35 wrote:* incidentally, this is the same St-Germain as in "the Treaty of", signed in the pretty impressive Château, which now houses the Musée des Antiquités Nationales, which is well worth a visit. For railway geeks, the first railway in France serves the town, but the station is now modern and underground.
... and was the birthplace of Claude Debussy.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
m11ldncam

Post by m11ldncam »

I regularly use the A28 through Rouen and in a few weeks wil be using the new section of the A28 south or Rouen which goes past Alencon & Le mans and joins in with the A10 near Tours. I then stay on this to Bordeaux.

However for yourself from there you could use the N76 then A885 to join the A71 just nort of Vierzon for the A20 junction.

I had enough of getting stuck on the singlw carriageway section between Chartres & the A10. I know that the N154 from Everux / Dreux is much improved with new D2 sections.
luchar

Post by luchar »

The D104 is a 1999 or so section of motorway. It has recently been reclassified as N104, but still doesn't appear on signs or maps.
The A86 is completed, but is to be avoided! The A86/A4 section is one of the worst roads, so it is better to take the A104-N104 to the A10, which is a bit longer but avoids congestions... or most of them. You may experience difficulties around Corbeil Essonne and further on to the A10 if you drive there on WE, because of the La Croix Blanche interchange (commercial center often congested). On the A10, you may also experience some congestions on the St Arnoult toll plaza. Try listening to 107.7 FM once on the motorway, it is the info traffic radio. There should be reports in English.