Speed limit Raised to 160 km/h

Going on holiday? Just returned with pictures or news? Found an interesting website? Post everything international in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

AAndy

Speed limit Raised to 160 km/h

Post by AAndy »

Austria is trialing an increase to its motorway speed limit, upping it from 130km/h to 160 km/h........for, initially 2 weeks I think just on a 12 km section. But if its succesful then it may become more widespread.
The goverment have set-up weather stations as the 160 limit is only applicable in good conditions.

Wow...though, this is very interesting news I think!!

( just seen a report on bbc bews 24 )
jamesd

Post by jamesd »

More information can be found at this website: http://www.tempo160.at/. It's got maps of the stretch, pictures of the stretch, and also AADT figures.

Should be going through there on the 21st of May, so I'll post some feedback. According the website above it's for 2 months, so hopefully it'll be sunny :)

It's a fairly easy stretch of motorway, reasonably flat and straight, which is surprising given the more northerly landscape, and seems deserted when I've been down it before; although I understand on the first saturday of the summer holidays it's jam-packed with all the germans heading down to the Adriatic.
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

We need to have a trial 100mph limit of our own, maybe on the M45 :shoot: :cop:

But that's still 60mph short of what my bike's capable of :cry:
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Not convinced by a fixed 160km/h limit.

People will treat that as a target not a limit, whereas if there was no speed limit at all (although, say, a recommended 150km/h) there might be more sensible driving displayed?
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
wibble

Post by wibble »

jamesd wrote:More information can be found at this website: http://www.tempo160.at/. It's got maps of the stretch, pictures of the stretch, and also AADT figures.

It's a fairly easy stretch of motorway, reasonably flat and straight, which is surprising given the more northerly landscape, and seems deserted when I've been down it before;
It looks like any rural German autobahn where the regular speed limit would be derestricted. What I find interesting is the scientific approach that they are taking - 4 levels of wetness, windspeed, and temperature are all taken into account when setting the speedlimit!

jamesd wrote: although I understand on the first saturday of the summer holidays it's jam-packed with all the germans heading down to the Adriatic.
And in this case you'd be lucky to move, let alone manage 160km/h!

If anyone needs a translation of any of the site, let me know, and I'll see what I can do.
paully

Post by paully »

wibble wrote:What I find interesting is the scientific approach that they are taking - 4 levels of wetness, windspeed, and temperature are all taken into account when setting the speedlimit!
What about fog?
wibble

Post by wibble »

paully wrote:What about fog?
Humm, I was going to say that was part of the "wetness" tests, but the website actually says
Folgende sicherheitstechnische Parameter dienen zur Steuerung des Verkehrstelematiksystems
Nass-Trocken Verhältnis
Nebel
Lichtverhältnisse
Fahrbahn-Mindesttemperatur
Zeitliche Beschränkung (Lärmschutz)
Geschwindigkeitssteuerung
<loosely_translated>
The following safety parameters are used to control the use of the traffic telematic systems.
Wetness / Dryness state
Minimum visibility in fog
Light levels
Minimum temperature of the road surface
Time limits (noise limitation)
Speed determined
<translation_end>

The time limit parameter is an interesting one - this is often used on German motorways to allow different speed limits at different times of the day (e.g. overnight). This can either slow down the traffic (e.g. to reduce road noise, to allow people to sleep in local housing!), or to increase speeds from lower daytime (heavy traffic) limits.

I think the "speed deteremined" parameter means that the automatic speed control takes into account of the traffic when setting the speed limit. Obviously if the traffic is going slowly, there is no point in signing 160 km/h!
Richard Walker

Post by Richard Walker »

From what I gather, mist Australian cars are built for torque, not speed, so you probably wouldn't get that many people driving right up to the limit. It is worth baring in mind the roads in the NT are already derestricted, even if they are not of a very high standard.
I will not sing the chain-gang song, I will not walk the line.
bob@romiley1

Post by bob@romiley1 »

Richard Walker wrote:From what I gather, mist Australian cars are built for torque, not speed, so you probably wouldn't get that many people driving right up to the limit. It is worth baring in mind the roads in the NT are already derestricted, even if they are not of a very high standard.
Um. This thread is about Austria not Australia.
Bob
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

bob@romiley1 wrote:Um. This thread is about Austria not Australia.
Hehe (o;
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
wibble

Post by wibble »

bob@romiley1 wrote: Um. This thread is about Austria not Australia.
Reminds me of a t-shirt I saw in a shop in Salzburg (or was it Innsbruck?) once - the logo read something like
"Austria - There ain't no Kangeroos here" :lol:
M1

Post by M1 »

wibble wrote:
bob@romiley1 wrote: Um. This thread is about Austria not Australia.
Reminds me of a t-shirt I saw in a shop in Salzburg (or was it Innsbruck?) once - the logo read something like
"Austria - There ain't no Kangeroos here" :lol:
My friend has that shirt: It has a yellow diamond saying 'No kangarros in Austria' in it, along with the kangarro symbol apparantly seen on signs there...
Richard Walker

Post by Richard Walker »

bob@romiley1 wrote:
Richard Walker wrote:From what I gather, mist Australian cars are built for torque, not speed, so you probably wouldn't get that many people driving right up to the limit. It is worth baring in mind the roads in the NT are already derestricted, even if they are not of a very high standard.
Um. This thread is about Austria not Australia.
:oops: :oops: :oops:
That'll teach me to skim-read!
I will not sing the chain-gang song, I will not walk the line.