South London to Madesimo (Italy)

Going on holiday? Just returned with pictures or news? Found an interesting website? Post everything international in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

multiraider2

South London to Madesimo (Italy)

Post by multiraider2 »

I will be doing this in early August.

Michelin's recommended route from Dunkerque is:-

N225/A25 to Lille
A27 to Belgium
A8/A16/A7 to Mons
A15 to Charleroi
A4 to Luxembourg
A6/A3 back into France
A31 to Metz
A4 to Strasbourg
N422/A35/N83 to Colmar
A35 to Basel
A3 to Zurich
A3/A13 to Spluggen
Spluggen Pass

I've done some of this route before, but then had more time and used mainly S2 routes from Lille to Basel.

Does anyone know if this is a reasonable suggestion? I shall be landing in the early morning, so traffic should be light to start.
Brenley Corner

Post by Brenley Corner »

The only comment I would make is that the Splugen Pass used to be pretty narrow and dangerous on the Italian side (at least that was the case in the late 1980's). It is not a major European route and hence little money had been spent on it - especially by the Italians. Of course, things may have changed completely by now.

Tony
Brenley Corner: congesting traffic since 1963; discussing roads since 2002
Jam35

Post by Jam35 »

I'd go down the German side of the Rhine, but otherwise the route looks exactly what I'd think up.
bob@romiley1

Post by bob@romiley1 »

Jam35 wrote:I'd go down the German side of the Rhine, but otherwise the route looks exactly what I'd think up.
I went down the German side as far as Basel last year. The traffic levels were far increased from the French side. I came back via France!
Bob
luchar

Post by luchar »

Brenley Corner wrote:The only comment I would make is that the Splugen Pass used to be pretty narrow and dangerous on the Italian side (at least that was the case in the late 1980's). It is not a major European route and hence little money had been spent on it - especially by the Italians. Of course, things may have changed completely by now.

Tony
Actually it is still pretty narrow, but you quickly catch up the expressway on the Italian side.

:arrow: Map click here
multiraider2

Post by multiraider2 »

Thanks for the advice guys; I had wondered about the German side of the Rhine and will have a look at a connecting route for that.

As for Splugen; Madesimo is only just over the border, so it's an obvious choice and no Italian expressways required. The diversions via either the Julierpass or the San Bernardino pass (in particular) are much longer.