Peterborough Streetlighting

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Gram587

Re: Peterborough Streetlighting

Post by Gram587 »

sheffieldposh wrote: I know that SOX bulbs can last a long time but what else are in there defence compared with a SON bulb ?
Much more energy efficient. You get the same light from a 180w SOX lamp as a 250w SON lamp. The light is spread more evenly and is less pin-pointy. With SON lanterns you get an intense (overbearing in residential streets) light around the lantern whereas SOX lanterns throw the light out across the road. This is also because preventing light pollution is seen as more important than lighting roads well these days :roll:
Gram587- The stink of excellence in a world gone t*ts up
sheffieldposh

Post by sheffieldposh »

Gram587 wrote:
sheffieldposh wrote: I know that SOX bulbs can last a long time but what else are in there defence compared with a SON bulb ?
Much more energy efficient. You get the same light from a 180w SOX lamp as a 250w SON lamp. The light is spread more evenly and is less pin-pointy. With SON lanterns you get an intense (overbearing in residential streets) light around the lantern whereas SOX lanterns throw the light out across the road. This is also because preventing light pollution is seen as more important than lighting roads well these days :roll:
Hmmmmmmmmm :?

I have to say that for residential areas 35 or 55w SOX lights are poor to say the least in lighting a road up which is why im delighted Sheffield City Council took the view in the mid 1990's to replace the SOX's with SON's , A Beta 79 fitting gives a much better light :D
Gram587

Post by Gram587 »

sheffieldposh wrote:

I have to say that for residential areas 35 or 55w SOX lights are poor to say the least in lighting a road up which is why im delighted Sheffield City Council took the view in the mid 1990's to replace the SOX's with SON's , A Beta 79 fitting gives a much better light :D
You really think so? I think SON is too powerful for residential areas, although I agree that SOX is not suitable for all areas especially those with bad crime rates etc. Imo, it is better to use CFL in residential streets which uses even less power than SOX, gives out a better quality light and throws the light around better than SON. However I still think SOX is better than SON, especially for main roads and motorways.
Gram587- The stink of excellence in a world gone t*ts up
True Yorkie
Banned

Post by True Yorkie »

To be honest, SON is only used now because the lamps last a long time...
In this way you can tell the cheapskate councils, because they'll install a cheap lantern and then have it running a SON lamp (tameside and ryedale councils are like this, SON Opalo's). It's a bad sense of economy though, because the CFL lamp may not last as long as a SON lamp, but a CFL lamp is cheaper to buy in the first place and uses less energy but gives out a better light - and a CFL version of a lantern is cheaper than a SON version. I think there is a difference of about £20 between SON and CFL in the Opalo, but the differential goes up the more expensive the lantern is in the first place.
"God was probably very proud of Yorkshire when he had finished with it"
- Jeremy Clarkson
--
sheffieldposh

Post by sheffieldposh »

Gram587 wrote:
sheffieldposh wrote:

You really think so? I think SON is too powerful for residential areas, although I agree that SOX is not suitable for all areas especially those with bad crime rates etc. Imo, it is better to use CFL in residential streets which uses even less power than SOX, gives out a better quality light and throws the light around better than SON. However I still think SOX is better than SON, especially for main roads and motorways.
Im still sticking with my SON type bulb , the reason why is in poor weather the lighing is much better , was driving down the A621 in Sheffield , some have been converted to SON fittings and the road was much clearer in the rain than the section that had SOX bulbs , sorry to say but in places like Sheffield SOX fittings are on borrowed time
True Yorkie
Banned

Post by True Yorkie »

In quite a few places, it is the SON lanterns that are on borrowed time. Lighting technology has moved on, and now we have white lighting sources that can run on wattages not too dissimilar from SOX but appear brighter than the equivalent SON lamp (55w PL-L or 57W PL-T fluorescent uses nearly the same energy as a 55w SOX, but is brighter to the human eye than a 70w SON; likewise with 45w Cosmo lamps). As things are now, in my eyes SON no longer has a place on residential streets - it can be used on major roads simply because the white light sources haven't caught up with the higher wattage SON just yet, but on normal road where columns are no more than 8m tall, SON should not be used.
- Jeremy Clarkson
--
sheffieldposh

Post by sheffieldposh »

True Yorkie wrote:In quite a few places, it is the SON lanterns that are on borrowed time. Lighting technology has moved on, and now we have white lighting sources that can run on wattages not too dissimilar from SOX but appear brighter than the equivalent SON lamp (55w PL-L or 57W PL-T fluorescent uses nearly the same energy as a 55w SOX, but is brighter to the human eye than a 70w SON; likewise with 45w Cosmo lamps). As things are now, in my eyes SON no longer has a place on residential streets - it can be used on major roads simply because the white light sources haven't caught up with the higher wattage SON just yet, but on normal road where columns are no more than 8m tall, SON should not be used.
What is the price diffrence from a 50w SON fitting to a 55w PL-L fitting / 57W PL-T fitting ) ?
True Yorkie
Banned

Post by True Yorkie »

Off the top of my head I don't know - BUT a 42w PL-T Urbis Opalo is £60, and the equivalent CFL Thorn Jet is cheaper than that. a 70w SON Holophane QSS was £150 each last time I checked.
- Jeremy Clarkson
--
sheffieldposh

Post by sheffieldposh »

True Yorkie wrote:Off the top of my head I don't know - BUT a 42w PL-T Urbis Opalo is £60, and the equivalent CFL Thorn Jet is cheaper than that. a 70w SON Holophane QSS was £150 each last time I checked.
So if a Urbis Opalo is cheaper why do councils buy SON fitting , Sheffield is a mecca for Beta 79's
True Yorkie
Banned

Post by True Yorkie »

Simple answer: because they're idiots!
- Jeremy Clarkson
--
sheffieldposh

Post by sheffieldposh »

True Yorkie wrote:Simple answer: because they're idiots!
But councils might buy say a SON fitting as this lights the road better than say a
42w PL-T Urbis Opalo
True Yorkie
Banned

Post by True Yorkie »

Ah but does it?
Remember that LUX meters only read the amount of light from a lamp, not the amount of useable light that is perceiveable to the human eye. You could have a 1,000W lamp that gives out red light, but a 200W pure white light will look just as bright at night.

Likewise, SON is a yellow/orange colour, and contains more red light than a CFL. Red light induces tiredness in humans too, so the less red light the better. CFL is more of a pure white, and so will appear of equal/greater brightness than a higher watage SON lamp.
- Jeremy Clarkson
--
sheffieldposh

Post by sheffieldposh »

True Yorkie wrote:Ah but does it?
Remember that LUX meters only read the amount of light from a lamp, not the amount of useable light that is perceiveable to the human eye. You could have a 1,000W lamp that gives out red light, but a 200W pure white light will look just as bright at night.

Likewise, SON is a yellow/orange colour, and contains more red light than a CFL. Red light induces tiredness in humans too, so the less red light the better. CFL is more of a pure white, and so will appear of equal/greater brightness than a higher watage SON lamp.
I dont think Sheffield has any 42w PL-T Urbis Opalo's , I think Rotherham has some on there council estate's

Would be nice to see a picture of them both to see the diffrence
True Yorkie
Banned

Post by True Yorkie »

The Tameside areas of Manchester have used SON Opalo's (such as Ashton and Hyde), which can be compared to York's CFL Opalo's (remember too that on paper, 42w CFL is a replacement for 50w SON, but you can just about get away with it replacing 70w SON too, as recent replacements in York have shown)
- Jeremy Clarkson
--
sheffieldposh

Post by sheffieldposh »

sheffieldposh

Post by sheffieldposh »

A picture of Nene Parkway where over 125 streetlights are out in a 2 mile section , this is one of the main gateways into Peterborough :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Attachments
Image0141.jpg
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

sheffieldposh wrote:A picture of Nene Parkway where over 125 streetlights are out in a 2 mile section , this is one of the main gateways into Peterborough :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
I wonder if it means the imminent demise of the Eleco's? It's not a good sight when a whole series of classic lighting isn't working.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
autosignguy
Account deactivated at user request

Post by autosignguy »

Urbis Opalos - they certainly look good, wouldn't be bad on Wigan's swan-necks!
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... _w&split=0

Also, the WRTL 2600 post-top seems incredibly common in Peterborough... is the Delta not used there?
Over here in the North West, our WRTL 2600s are post-tops, usually with a Nema socket photocell.
sheffieldposh

Post by sheffieldposh »

Truvelo wrote:
sheffieldposh wrote:A picture of Nene Parkway where over 125 streetlights are out in a 2 mile section , this is one of the main gateways into Peterborough :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
I wonder if it means the imminent demise of the Eleco's? It's not a good sight when a whole series of classic lighting isn't working.
Here is the same location in the daytime

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... 34.48,,0,5