New Motorway Signal Mk 4 signalling

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Matt_EA_A14

New Motorway Signal Mk 4 signalling

Post by Matt_EA_A14 »

Has anyone come across this document on the Highways Agency website? http://www.highways.gov.uk/roads/projects/ms4/index.htmIt contains details of a new motorway VMS system, intended to increase legibility by providing warning pictograms as well as text.
In my opinion the new system seems to be a vast improvement on current motorway variable message signing - it's clear, uses acknowledged signing conventions, and is even capable of displaying messages in the Transport font (major plus)!
What do others think of theMS4?
Matt
Mediaman_12

Post by Mediaman_12 »

At last. Why are we always ages behind everybody else, they seam to have had these sort of 'high tec' signs in Germany for ages http://home.att.net/~texhwyman/elec.htm.
But where are these going to be used? Most of the major motorway network already has the older type huge single colour dot matrix signs. I can see the HA starting replacing the older ones, so are these new clearer & better ones going to end up on less important sections?
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Matt: <<Has anyone come across this document on the Highways Agency website?>>
Yes, it's been online for about a year or more now. I thought everyone had seen it or I'd mentioned or something, apparently not!
mediaman_12: <<At last. Why are we always ages behind everybody else, they seam to have had these sort of 'high tec' signs in Germany for ages >>

I think that's a rather sweeping generalisation!

The German signs are way behind the MS4 in terms of technology, and indeed behind what we've had for many years. Variable speed limits are a feature of the M25 already, computer controlled as the German ones are. Many of the functions of these German VMS are already carried out by our older signals too - changes in speed limit, even lane closures and fog warnings. Besides, are there any countries other than Germany with such an advanced system?

Ages behind is a bit wrong as well - the small signals found in the central reservation of motorways (MS1) have been around since the late 1960's, which is probably decades longer than any other country's system. Other big driving countries have nothing to match them yet. Italy has textual VMS, but they're only placed before major exits and not regularly. Most of their roads don't have them at all. In the US you can't even expect emergency phones anywhere, let alone computer operated signals by the roadside.

<<But where are these going to be used? Most of the major motorway network already has the older type huge single colour dot matrix signs. I can see the HA starting replacing the older ones, so are these new clearer & better ones going to end up on less important sections?>>

I don't think so. The MS4 are being tested on the M4 somewhere around Reading and Hungerford I think (or they will be soon). Widespread installation will apparently begin in 2003 and roads like the M45 will certainly not be the first to get them! Places with the MS3 (big text VMS) won't be first to get replaced though. I was banging my head on the dashboard when i realised the HA are currently fitting MS3's all the way up the M1 - surely this should be first in line for new signals if its current ones are in need of replacement and an extra year wouldn't have mattered!

Finally, as an Englishman I'd like to blow a raspberry to Scotland and Wales since this is a Highways Agency thing and it'll only be appearing in England!

Chris
crobzub

Post by crobzub »

I reckon they should be placed in the central reservation - you only need half the poles to raise them up, if two (in opposite direction, of course) share a pole.
PeterA5145

Post by PeterA5145 »

<<I reckon they should be placed in the central reservation - you only need half the poles to raise them up, if two (in opposite direction, of course) share a pole.>>

Would make maintenance more difficult - also there may not be room for the foundations in the central reservation.

Drivers also tend to look for signs on the left of the carriageway, not the right.

I don't think shortage of space for roadside gantry poles is a major problem on the motorway network.

Regards,

Peter
“The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” – Robert A. Heinlein
ndp

Post by ndp »

Sorry to burst your bubble, but they'll have them on the M4 is South Wales before thet're rolled out in England:
http://www.traffic-wales.com/links/messagesigns.htm
Steve Howarth

Post by Steve Howarth »

Will these new signs also display the message "END" after 30 miles of uninterrupted, incident-free motorway driving?
Steve Howarth
Grantster

Post by Grantster »

> Finally, as an Englishman I'd like to blow a raspberry to Scotland and Wales since this is a Highways Agency thing and it'll only be appearing in England!

We haven't even got MS1 here in Scotland, they're still not "legal tender". Hence the new A74(M) bits have had the old two lamp warning signals installed!
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Surely they'll need to be twice the size in Wales to do everything in both languages ;-)
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
IJP1

Post by IJP1 »

Wisely you didn't mention NI there, Chris, since we're also getting them!
I.
-------------------------
Ian P. (IJP1)
M4Simon

Post by M4Simon »

Chris Bertram: <<Surely they'll need to be twice the size in Wales to do everything in both languages ;-) >>
Quite right, too :-)
Welcome back, Chris, it's good to see you posting again !
Simon
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

Please contact me if you want to know more