Sedgley - unnoted B-road

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Paul

Sedgley - unnoted B-road

Post by Paul »

Here's a little B-road in Sedgley near Dudley (I expect some West Midlanders will be able to help; Steven?): http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dl ... 95&A=Y&Z=1

Seems to be called Victoria Street, and called the B45xx. Can't find any mention on Roads List Pages. Has it been catalogued?

Paul
Regards,
Paul
Paul

Post by Paul »

Tell a lie: Vicar Street.
Regards,
Paul
Paul

Post by Paul »

Nothing short of a West Mids A-Z is going to solve this one...
But if you do get it before I do, Imageawaits you.
Regards,
Paul
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

Paul,

Vicar Street is marked on the A-Z, but it's too short to have any number on it! It is marked in yellow, though, so it appears to be a B-road.

Mind you, I don't think I've ever noticed its existence before, so I guess a field trip might be in order on Saturday.

Steven
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

DavidB

Post by DavidB »

No need for a field trip, see the attached map which I've grabbed from eMapSite...
Regards
DavidB
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

Thanks for that David, surely a contender for "shortest B-road" there! I may well still pop down there just to see if it is signed as such....

Steven
Steven
Motorway Historian

Paul

Post by Paul »

David B wins the pint!
B4563 now added to Roads List Pages...
Paul
Regards,
Paul
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

Well, my field trip went ahead today, and I'm hardly surprised I've never noticed it before.

Vicar Streethas the grand total of zero signposts pointing along it, and is very much a small "back of a town centre" kind of road.

If the A6144(M) is the most pathetic motorway, then this has to be a contender for "Most pathetic B-road" status

Steven
Steven
Motorway Historian

DavidB

Post by DavidB »

My vote for the "Most Pathetic B-Road" would go to the B5221 in Salford. I've never visited it, but I fully intend to the next time I'm in the Manchester area!
Hereis the link to it on Streetmap.co.uk. It's the dead-end road "B5.St.St"just below the name of Salford Central rail station. As you can seethey can't even fit in the whole road number! (And eMapSite can't even fit it in the numberat all!)
So how doI know it's the B5221? Because in my map collection I have a copy of OS 1:10,000 sheet SJ 89 NW which shows the full number of the road. I'm attaching below a scan of the relevant partof it.
So, are there any more pathetic ones to be found? Image
Regards
DavidB
A68Nick
Account deactivated at user request

Post by A68Nick »

David B <<B5221>>

Okay, the simple question is WHY??? I struggle greatly to come up with a sensible reason for numbering the road asa B-road. The only reason I can come up with is that someone important lived there and felt like a B-road to his or her front door. Initially I put it down to a mapping anomaly, but it's there, on all OS mapping...

Cheers,

Nick <HR>
N i c h o l a s A l l a n

www.allan-online.co.uk
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

David / Nick <<Why B5221>>

Well, I thinkI can see the reason from the scan, and knowing that part of Salford/Manchester. There's been quite a lot of redevelopment in the area,and so if you look carefully on the scan (and on the map), then Stanley Street extends along the bank of the Irwell, and disappears off the scan to the left, therefore being a more important road than its current form.

There also seems to be a bridge under the railway, and there's evidence ofthe continuationof Stanley Street (albeit in emasculated form).

Therefore, I would suggest that it used to be worthy of B-road status, but somewhere along the line Salford City Council have failed to remove that status for some reason. Presumably, the other sections of Stanley Street are also still numbered B5221?

There's quite a lot of roads across the river in Manchester that were once far more important than their current forms, for example York Street, which nowadays has the BBC, the Mancunian Way ( A57(M) ), a UMIST hall of residence, and the swimming pool for the Commonwealth Games on top of various sections of it.....

Steven
Steven
Motorway Historian

Paul

Post by Paul »

How about this road, that changes from and A to a C-road under the railway bridge?
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dl ... 35&A=Y&Z=3
Paul
Regards,
Paul
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

Paul: <<How about this road, that changes from and A to a C-road under the railway bridge?>>

Sorry, Paul, but I'm pretty sure that's a mapping error (zoom the map in!) . I've seen some maps that claim the A6010 continues along this road, and turns left along Northmoor Road, and then along its former route to Belle Vue along Kirkmanshulme Lane.

In fact, this section of the road has always (as far as I'm aware) gone under the railway bridge on Kirkmanshulme Lane.

Steven
Steven
Motorway Historian

stu531

Post by stu531 »

Not the shortest B-road, but I quite like the B1227 in York. This goes from Micklegate Bar (nr the train station) over to Clifford's tower. No mention whatsoever of the road on any signposts about the city, but it's all there.
Here's the link on multimap. Note that it's not even marked on 1:50000 maps, but it is on OS 1:25000 maps (the orange fronted ones) - so you'll just have tobelieve me that it's the correct number!
Stu