Metalling of Roads

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Paul

Metalling of Roads

Post by Paul »

I've often wondered exactly what 'metalled road' means. This morning I spied a tipper truck with the words "Steel Slag For Safer Roads" across it. Does waste metal form part of the roadbed or is it part of the tarmac?
Someone in the construction industry please educate us laymen!
Paul
Regards,
Paul
biffvernon

Post by biffvernon »

Can't think how steel slag improves road safety but the word 'metal' in 'road metal' comes from Latin via Old French and Middle English. "Metallum" mean mine or quarry so road metal was is anything mined or quarried that is laid on the road. The bits don't have to be stuck together with tar - that's a 20th century development.
Biff
Paul

Post by Paul »

Just did a search on the slogan, and it comes up with this:
http://www.parliament.the-stationery-of ... 381m19.htm
which explainsthatblast furnance slag can be added to the mix for laying anti-skid treatments on road surfaces.
Paul
Regards,
Paul