New Motorways (well partly)

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Fluid Dynamics

Post by Fluid Dynamics »

The M275 into Portsmouth also has narrower lanes than is standard fromits junction withM27, across its causeway to its terminus near the city centre - 70mph still though!
Switch Island

Post by Switch Island »

Quote>> How about the M8 in Glasgow? (Limited shoulders, mad junctions?and 50/60 mph speed limits)<< from Mistral.

I forgot about that one - I was always of the impression the M8 through Glasgow was like a LA freeway - with ridiculous duplicated exits, spaghetti-like expanses of carriageways side by side (the width of the stretch between junctions 20/21/22 where the M77 branches off is just crazy!) and junctions about 300 yards apart in places.

Oh yeah Paul - the M41 too (now a renumbered A-route isn't it?).....

Apologies for the confused syntax of my last but one post - I used the phrase "the point I was making" twice in the same paragraph! Doh!!!
t1(M)

Post by t1(M) »

The M5 and M6 in Birmingham seem to have tighter bends than normal for a motorway, and are definitely in an urban area.An area I try to avoid, so I can't recall the hard shoulder situation