The Speed Camera Van on the A92

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

ncc17600

The Speed Camera Van on the A92

Post by ncc17600 »

Today, coming home from work, I think I probably have been caught speeding by the mobile Camera van. I think it is just stupid where it was parked though.
It was positioned about 200m from the end of the 50mph section, just where the A92 (finally) goes back to a short section of dual carridgeway. After the alterations to Balfarg junction, the A92 has been singled until after the junction and traffic coming onto the A92 from Western Avenue go straight onto the road, in what becomes the inside lane. Traffic already on the A92 find themselves in the outside lane.
So vehicles have to accelerate past the accelerating Western Avenue traffic in order to merge back into the inside lane. Also traffic on the A92 which has been held up by a lorry or a tractor in the single carridgeway section has to accelerate and overtake.
But the 50mph restriction carries on for a good 700m or so past the juction.
This is what happened to me, I was held up by a lorry and it speeded up to overtake traffic coming onto the main road from Western Avenue, so I had to speed up further to overtake the lorry and because of the lorry, I didn't see the bloody van until I was doing about 56mph and then the camera was pointing straight at me.
I think it is rediculous that they put the van where they do. Its plain to see that it is only there to generate revenue not to stop dangerous speeding. It would be better placed in Falkland, where I live, cos you get idiots doing well over 30mph through the village.
Rant over!
BobSykes

Post by BobSykes »

<I didn't see the bloody van until I was doing about 56mph and then the camera was pointing straight at me.>

You might get away with it. If your speedo showed 56, then in reality you were probably doing no more than 53/54mph, as all car speedos display more than the actual speed being travelled. Unless you get caughtby the good souls atLancashire Constabulary, who will pull you over and do you for the heinous crime of 32mph in a 30 zone, you are unlikely toget done for doing 53/54mph.
ncc17600

Post by ncc17600 »

<You might get away with it. If your speedo showed 56, then in reality you were probably doing no more than 53/54mph, as all car speedos display more than the actual speed being travelled>
I hope so as if I do get a fine and penalty points, my insurance will go through the roof. I'm 22 so I'm classed as a boy racer. Hmmm.. boy racer in a clapped out Peugeot 309... yeah... :o/
<Unless you get caughtby the good souls atLancashire Constabulary, who will pull you over and do you for the heinous crime of 32mph in a 30 zone>
I know what you mean. A friend was done for doing 31mph through Auchtermuchty a few years back I seem to remember.
ncc17600

Post by ncc17600 »

The damned thing was there again today. I saw it this time though.
The way it was parked, along side the northbound carrigeway in a service road for some houses, you can only see the rear of the van. The only markings from this view is a small black camera symbol that you don't fully see until it is too late.
You cant even see the police markings with the way it is positioned. To any unwary motorist it just looks like an ordinary van unloading stuff.
They must be raking it in there cos at least 5 cars over took me at well over 50mph.
Sneaky buggers! >:o(
M4Simon

Post by M4Simon »

There was a speed enforcement vehicle (camera van) sitting on the brodge at M6 junction 4 last Sunday - presumably enforcing the temporary 50mph limit for the M6 Toll works. I guess it does the rounds of the various construction sites in the West Midlands.
Simon
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

Please contact me if you want to know more