Old Signs

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Truvelo

Old Signs

Post by Truvelo »

If anyone isn't aware of it yet, I have taken pictures of old signs whenever I see them. I now have quite a collection of pictures here. There are particularly large numbers of them in South West Scotland.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

That's quite a collection you've got there :o)
You're welcome to add this one (a pre-Warboys T-Junction sign)- crop it all you want. It's in my (adopted) home town of Hertford.
http://groups.msn.com/TheSABRERoadsWebs ... hotoID=770
Regards,
Chris.
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
NEV

Post by NEV »

Lovely collection of photos of pre-Warboys. Keep up the good work!
NEV

biffvernon

Post by biffvernon »

Truvelo. Nice signs. I'm interested in the one pointing to Prestonpans. Is it at GR NT392738? And did the road numbering change when the A1 bypass north of Tranent opened? And do you know when this was?
Here's an old Lincolnshire sign for your collection:
http://mysite.freeserve.com/greatnorthr ... 100380.jpg
Cheers, Biff
NEV

Post by NEV »

Pre Warboys Signs
Does anyone know of a place to buy old road signs? I saw a pre-Worboys level crossing sign (complete wi\th red triangle) in a railway auction recently - but wasn't lucky enough to get it.
NEV
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

<<<Truvelo. Nice signs. I'm interested in the one pointing to Prestonpans. Is it at GR NT392738? And did the road numbering change when the A1 bypass north of Tranent opened? And do you know when this was?>>>
Yes the location is correct, although the road layout has changed from a crossroads to a staggered junction.
I believe the road numbering was changed with the opening of the A1 bypass. The new A1 looks pretty newish so I guess mid 90's.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.