"52" Registrations

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

pjkh

Post by pjkh »

>>I have all the fun of reading the map, studying the signs, looking at the shape of the junctions and other Sabristic pleasures! Try doing all that when you're driving...

Oh f*&*&*& cheers Guy. Last time I take your advice. I tried it and nearly killed myself.

(I didn't really of course ;-)
Guy-Barry
Banned

Post by Guy-Barry »

Guy: <<I have all the fun of reading the map, studying the signs, looking at the shape of the junctions and other Sabristic pleasures! Try doing all that when you're driving...>>

pjkh: << Oh f*&*&*& cheers Guy. Last time I take your advice. I tried it and nearly killed myself.

(I didn't really of course ;-) >>
Sarcasm is clearly not dead...
But seriously - I find that when I'm a passenger in a car my entire attention is taken up with studying the road and the map. How do any of you Sabristi drivers manage to combine the two? I've always found that the driver is far too busy watching the rest of the traffic to pay much attention to the finer details of the road.
Guy
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

<<But seriously - I find that when I'm a passenger in a car my entire attention is taken up with studying the road and the map. How do any of you Sabristi drivers manage to combine the two? I've always found that the driver is far too busy watching the rest of the traffic to pay much attention to the finer details of the road.>>
I used to look at the maps and study the route before setting out (even as a kid). I've now driven so many miles on motorways andmajor roads,I've got an inbuilt map in my head. Seriously though, it's like association - you recognise the stretches of road, and know what's coming up next, how long the routes are likely to take, where the services are, favourite police hiding spots,short-cuts, rat-runs, and what new road projects are being built.
Chris.
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
mnb20

Post by mnb20 »

<< But seriously - I find that when I'm a passenger in a car my entire attention is taken up with studying the road and the map. How do any of you Sabristi drivers manage to combine the two? I've always found that the driver is far too busy watching the rest of the traffic to pay much attention to the finer details of the road. >>

Well obviously I wouldn't study a map while driving (though I've seen some idiots try). But you can't help notice things like the quality of the road - that's something you use to judge what speed is safe, when it's safe to overtake, etc. And you have to read road signs, so if you're doing that and you've got a mind like the average sabristi you won't be able to avoid noticing all the anomalies in the signs and the road numbering.

And while I'd be worried if I was a passenger in a car and the driver pointed out something to me off at 90 degrees to the direction of travel, if he pointed out something not far off straight ahead I'd be reassured. He's supposed to be looking for potential hazards near the road, and that inevitably means he'll spot other interesting things there.

What you can't easily do when driving, of course, is note down the interesting things you spot so you can remember to mention them here later.
PeterA5145

Post by PeterA5145 »

<<Guy: But seriously - I find that when I'm a passenger in a car my entire attention is taken up with studying the road and the map. How do any of you Sabristi drivers manage to combine the two? I've always found that the driver is far too busy watching the rest of the traffic to pay much attention to the finer details of the road.>>
<< Chris: I used to look at the maps and study the route before setting out (even as a kid). I've now driven so many miles on motorways and major roads, I've got an inbuilt map in my head. Seriously though, it's like association - you recognise the stretches of road, and know what's coming up next, how long the routes are likely to take, where the services are, favourite police hiding spots, short-cuts, rat-runs, and what new road projects are being built.>>
Quite right - most of the time you're not driving along roads for the first time, and you get to learn them and spot the subtle variations over time.
On the other hand, driving along a road for the first time is a journey of discovery, especially on those occasions when a superb stretch of road and a magnificent view open out in front of you at the same time :o))
Since drivers are by definition keeping their eyes peeled, in practice they often spot things within their field of view and point them out to passengers who may be reading the map or looking out of the side window.
I think also many non-drivers exaggerate the difficulty of the driving task and think that the driver must be in a constant state of near-panic with all those cars and lorries coming from all directions. Indeed some drivers never get out of that stage, and you see them creeping along, holding the steering wheel tight, gripped by fear.
But it's a learning process, and over time you develop the ability to assimilate all that information much more quickly and separate what's important and what's not. A sign of a capable, experienced driver is that in normal situations they seem to have plenty of time to spare.
Which of course gives them the opportunity to appreciate the subtleties of signing and road design.
Regards,
Peter
“The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” – Robert A. Heinlein
BobSykes

Post by BobSykes »

returning to the original thrust of the discussion, i've also seen surprisingly few 52s - i wonder though whether this is because with the new plates, the number isn't that obvious, particularly 51/52, rather than 01/02, which seems more noticeable. The 51/52s just look like numbers under the old plate system - hence, less noticeable. i read in the paper that registrations are running at near records levels, so there must be plenty of them about.
what i have seen very, very few of over recent weeks is the new shape vectra - to say it is one of the most popular cars on the road (or was), i expected to have seen loads of them, but have probably seen no more than 5 or 6 - and i drive a 50 mile round trip every day of the week.
IJP1

Post by IJP1 »

Bob,
Ooooh, now I have to say I share your interest in general motoring and cars, but if I can respectfully say so as a mere fellow member, I think you've sailed a little close to the wind on that one. This is a *roads* forum and that last comment was blatantly about *cars*.
I think we should change subject sharp-ish.
(And I hope I have spared you some of Guy's wrath!)
Ian P.
-------------------------
Ian P. (IJP1)
BobSykes

Post by BobSykes »

not wishing to get too deeply drawn into an academic debate about what can/can't appear on the site, i do feel that with 20 million plus cars on Britain's roads, the two are inextricably linked, so observations about what appears on the roads is fair game. a lengthy debate about the merits of the new vectra would be overstepping the mark, but that wasn't what i was getting at
Guy-Barry
Banned

Post by Guy-Barry »

Ian P: <<Ooooh, now I have to say I share your interest in general motoring and cars, but if I can respectfully say so as a mere fellow member, I think you've sailed a little close to the wind on that one. This is a *roads* forum and that last comment was blatantly about *cars*.>>
Maybe we should ask Paul to adjudicate...
<<I think we should change subject sharp-ish.>>
Yeah - let's get back to discussing whether Germany should revert to its pre-war boundaries :-)
<<(And I hope I have spared you some of Guy's wrath!)>>
Me? Wrathful?
Guy (also a mere fellow member)
IJP1

Post by IJP1 »

Bob,
It was really only because I was about to reply to you agreeing that I've only seen one (and it was already severely dented, bizarrely), until I remembered which list I was on!
Guy,
I thought I'd very cunningly taken the subject back to roads on that thread, actually!!
Regards,
Ian P.
-------------------------
Ian P. (IJP1)
t1(M)

Post by t1(M) »

Having started this thread, perhaps I can conclude it by responding to Bob Sykes by reportingthat there are now two "52s" in our street - and they are both new-shape Vectras!
Paul

Post by Paul »

<Maybe we should ask Paul to adjudicate...>

I already have and I'm not going to spare any more time for this thread.

<the two are inextricably linked>

Not inextricably. There is a significant overlap, I concede, but they are not synonymous.

<there are now two "52s" in our street>

I've seen 7 brand spanking new buses in Sheffield over the weekend. All 52s (no, that's not the route number, though coincidentally there IS a new 52 as well!)

Paul
Regards,
Paul