More Ring Roads

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

More Ring Roads

Post by Steven »

I was driving along near to my in-laws today, when I discovered a whole new Ring Road for Paul's list:

Here's the location on Streetmap, in Burntwood, Staffordshire.

Any more like this?

Steven
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Not quite like that one... but I notice the list doesn't include Watford's ring road (the A411)
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x ... search.srf
Of course it's more a glorified gyratory sysem, but as it encompasses the entire town centre perhaps it should be included...
Chris.
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
PeterA5145

Post by PeterA5145 »

<<was driving along near to my in-laws today, when I discovered a whole new Ring Road for Paul's list. Any more like this?>>

Not quite the same thing, but this area on Streetmap shows the two separate sections of Manchester's "Eastern Bypass" in run-down Clayton and Openshaw:

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dl ... 50&A=Y&Z=1

One is in the bottom centre square, named as "Easter By-P", the other in the top left square, named simply as "E. B."

I believe these were originally part of an aborted inter-wars scheme for a genuine Eastern By-Pass.

Regards,

Peter
“The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” – Robert A. Heinlein
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

c2R <<Of course it's more a glorified gyratory sysem, but as it encompasses the entire town centre perhaps it should be included...>>

Hmm, maybe West Bromwich's Ringway ought to get included then. It's unclassified, but does go round the town centre in a clockwise-only loop.

Steven
Steven
Motorway Historian

Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

Of course, there's also a (very!) imperfect ring in Telford in too, with its Central road. Again, unclassified. Again, clockwise only. It does circle the town centre though! (But then being as the town centre consists merely of a shopping centre......)

Steven

PS - Look Guy, Telford Central Station! (warning - in-joke alert!)
Steven
Motorway Historian

Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

Gosh,on a rollnow:

Newcastle under Lyme (A34/A52/A527)

Steven
Steven
Motorway Historian

Guy-Barry
Banned

Post by Guy-Barry »

Steven: << PS - Look Guy, Telford Central Station! (warning - in-joke alert!) >>

Careful, or I'll start telling you about the Bath ring road...

Guy
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

<<Hmm, maybe West Bromwich's Ringway ought to get included then. It's unclassified, but does go round the town centre in a clockwise-only loop.>>

It has recently been made two way and traffic lights have been installed at every junction. It used to take less than 2 minutes to do a complete lap but now takes at least twice that.

But hang on, you can no longer do a complete lap because part of it is now buses only.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
Pete A259

Post by Pete A259 »

from my own experience...the Watford ringroad is a very exciting road.....its also quite bizarre, it forms a roundabout around the Harlequin shopping centre and its very difficult to find where you should catch the bus from also.....it has about 7 lanes at one point too!
M4Simon

Post by M4Simon »

PeteA259: <<the Watford ringroad is a very exciting road.....its also quite bizarre>>
You're not wrong there, but were you aware that around ten years ago the idea of reversing the flow was being discussed. This would have meant that the Harlequin car parks would have been left in-left out. Unfortunately, I cannot recall how the links to the A411 north would have worked, and I think this predates the eventual construction of the Watford - M1 link road.
It's a while since I've been there, but the Harlequin car parks are not particularly well designed. Once you pass a floor on the car park it is impossible to return to a lower floor if there are no spaces higher up. As a consequence, people tend to hang about on the lower floors waiting for spaces to empty. This eventually backs out onto the ring road causing congestion. (Deliberate understatement there...) On the other hand, when people leave the car park they have to take their chance of merging in with ring road traffic - not all the exits are signal controlled. You also need to watch for the conflict with the bus lanes (as posted earlier). Coupled with Bushey Arches, it doesn't take much to bring Watford to a halt on a busy Saturday before Christmas.
The County Council have never taken seriously my proposal to resolve Watford's traffic problems once and for all by building a 10 foot high wall around the place.
Simon
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?

Please contact me if you want to know more
Pete A259

Post by Pete A259 »

haha! i wouldnt be able to get my shopping done if they did that! turning the traffic the other way would be a disaster! the Harlequin car parks can be fun......especially when twisting round though my friend sitting in the back seat who had just had a strawberry milkshake wasnt having much fun!