Leeds Outer Ring Road

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Paul

Leeds Outer Ring Road

Post by Paul »

Hmm... some observations on the 'missing link':
Leeds (Outer) <font color="#ff7777">A647</font> [[url=http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dl ... Y&Z=3">see map here[/url]). What's frustrating is that it comes so close to the <font color="#7777ff">M1</font>/<font color="#7777ff">M621</font>/<font color="#ff7777">A61</font> junctions. If it was linked up, it could then take the new <font color="#7777ff">M1</font>/<font color="#7777ff">A1(M)</font> link as far as J46 with the <font color="#77ff77">A63</font> near Garforth (hello, Chris), and join the <font color="#77ff77]A6120</font> again, forming a complete, if lengthly loop. But we can all dream I suppose."
Regards,
Paul
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

I have a "histories" section (and a lengthy one at that) for my site on the Ring Road that's half-written and kind of on ice right now, half-researched and totally lacking in photos. Here's something interesting though.
I asked David D Miller (man of a thousand maps) if he would mind seeing if his historic maps could reveal anything interesting. Among the things he turned up was the reason the gap was never filled. Basically, the houses at Middleton back onto open space (well, open until it was filled with motorway!) to the east - this is butted right up against the boundary of what is officially Leeds. There is no way the ring road could be completed through there without Leeds City Council asking whoever runs that patch very nicely if they would mind building a bit of road for them! Apparently the city centre lies very close to the southern boundary of the 'city' which is why most development (suburbs and so on) lies spread out to the north, and why building a complete ring road is damn near impossible!
It would, however, be possible to scrap the Ring Road section through Middleton (useless!) and instead sign the Outer Ring Road from the A6110 onto the M621, then the connecting A639 then onto the M1 at junction 44 to join the A6120 again. Not much of an outer ring in the south, but at least it forms a circuit!
Chris
stu531

Post by stu531 »

Chris's idea is the best.
I travel down the bloody A6120 to work every morning and it is the worst road in Christendom.
I guess it wouldn't make so much difference if the Ring was completed around Leeds - but it shouldn't REALLY be called a Ring if it doesn't go round it, should it!!
It wouldmake my life so much easier (and countless others, I'm sure) if a proper Leeds Ring Road, a la M60, was built. We keep hearing about how Leeds is the fastest growing city in Europe, how it's filthy rich (ahem), and what a great place it is to be in general. Yet the roads suck!
Chris's idea (on his site) of the M65 coming over the top from Lancashire and forming a top part of a ring is a great idea. I'd have a connection from it, near Leeds Bradford airport, to the M621/M62 junction, thereby enclosing the city.
Anyway, rant over!
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

I doodled an idea a while ago that I'll dig up and redraft which was a new northern ring road for Leeds - in this day and age it would, of course, be an A-road so I used the free number A648 and whizzed a new grade-separated dual carriageway around, using the M62 and M1 for the south and east sections. The plan also included dualling the A64 between the A1 and A6120. When it's done I'll post it here.
Chris
stu531

Post by stu531 »

Sounds great Chris.

As you say if one was *ever* going to be built - and knowing Leeds City Council, one never will - it would probably be an A-road which again is a shame; as I've rattled on, Leeds (in any other country in Europe) would qualify for a fully fledged motorway!

Dualling the A64 between Leeds & the A1 is something that is also long overdue. Purely selfishly, I use it for work everyday; this morning a single tractor held up the road on its entire length; what a shambles!

I seem to remember your 'M651' idea on your excellent fantasy motorway program - that sounds the best to me!
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

The long-awaited A648! Apologies for the large file.
From the M62 it begins at j27, giving access to the M621, then borrows the A650 Driglington bypass before striking off on a new line as the A648. Second junction is with the A647, then a tunnel (easiest way through this bit), across the A657 with no junction, then on a viaduct over the Aire valley (steep!). Diamond interchange with the A65, then a new dual-carriageway spur to Leeds/Bradford Airport with free-flow interchange. Junctions then with the A660, A61 and A58. Semi-free flowing arrangement with the A64 (now dualled) and then onward to the fork, where a new motorway spur leads to junction 46A of the M1 and back onto the ring road. The other fork is semi-grade separated and hijacks junction 47 of the M1, part of the A656 and a bit of A63 where the A648 ends, giving access from the A1 in both directions.
Obviously I'd be a fool to ever expect to see this built!
Comments/pedantry etc welcome as ever.
Chris
stu531

Post by stu531 »

Fantastic!

Artwork is really good, and so much of it makes sense: Leeds Bradford airport access, tunnel under Calverley Hill, Spur at M1 46A, and - the best bit - the link to the A1/A63 junction. If only because it gives access to North Leeds from the south, something that is so severely lacking.

<sigh> if only Leeds City Council took notice of stuff like this.
Paul

Post by Paul »

By the way, I'd thought you'd be interested to know that the extent of the current Leeds ORR is still the same as it was in 1962, at the latest. This information was gleaned from an old AA Book of the Road that Viator produced on the Awayday yesterday. So Leeds CC have sat on their collective arses for 40 years!!

Paul
Regards,
Paul