South Africa - Minimum speed limits

Going on holiday? Just returned with pictures or news? Found an interesting website? Post everything international in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

SubaruImprezaWRX

South Africa - Minimum speed limits

Post by SubaruImprezaWRX »

A friend of a friend told me there is a minimum speed limit of 120kph on some South African m/ways. Is this true? Sounds like madness to me.
scynthius726

Post by scynthius726 »

Could do with one of those on the A82!

Maybe not that high though - set to about 45mph -with strict enforcement and NIP and penalty points for anyone caught driving under the speed limit :wink:
Member of the out-of-touch, liberal, metropolitan, establishment elite. Apparently.
cb a1

Re: South Africa - Minimum speed limits

Post by cb a1 »

SubaruImprezaWRX wrote:A friend of a friend told me there is a minimum speed limit of 120kph on some South African m/ways. Is this true? Sounds like madness to me.
Don't remember seeing any on my holiday there three years ago but I certainly didn't drive all of them. They did have minimum speed limits on the outside lane of some of the climbing lane sections to ensure that lorries stayed to the inside lane. Can't remember now what it was but I think it was 60kph.

Given the very large amount of road haulage that I saw in SA and the age and slowness of some of the GVs (and indeed the age of some of the cars) I would be suprised if they had a blanket minimum speed limit of 120kph, but there could be one for the outside lane.
Education makes the wise slightly wiser, but it makes the fool vastly more dangerous. N. Taleb
We tend to demand impossible standards of proof from our opponents but accept any old rubbish to support our beliefs.
The human paradox that is common sense
The Backfire Effect
A303Paul

Post by A303Paul »

er.. no thats the maximum.. and they are quite hot on speeding. Truvelos and doubles all round.. er no they're even hotter on drink driving.....

cb_a1 wrote:
SubaruImprezaWRX wrote:A friend of a friend told me there is a minimum speed limit of 120kph on some South African m/ways. Is this true? Sounds like madness to me.
Don't remember seeing any on my holiday there three years ago but I certainly didn't drive all of them. They did have minimum speed limits on the outside lane of some of the climbing lane sections to ensure that lorries stayed to the inside lane. Can't remember now what it was but I think it was 60kph.

Given the very large amount of road haulage that I saw in SA and the age and slowness of some of the GVs (and indeed the age of some of the cars) I would be suprised if they had a blanket minimum speed limit of 120kph, but there could be one for the outside lane.
IJP1

Post by IJP1 »

I suspect the error here is that until the latter years of Apartheid, South African warning signs for some reason were white-on-blue (within the usual red circle or triangle) rather than black-on-white (or black-on-yellow).

Quite a few of the older versions are still standing, including speed limits. Perhaps your friend confused one of the remaining white-on-blue warning signs with the minimum sign (which does not have the red circle around it) often to be seen in Continental Europe.
-------------------------
Ian P. (IJP1)
CJ

Post by CJ »

A303Paul wrote:er.. no thats the maximum.. and they are quite hot on speeding. Truvelos and doubles all round.. er no they're even hotter on drink driving.....
At least in SA if you're stopped for drink driving, you just hand them $20 and they'll let you be on your way; in this country, if you try that they'll arrest you for trying to bribe them!
:wink: