Traffic lights for private properties

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Trebeck

Re: Traffic lights for private properties

Post by Trebeck »

Alleyway on the A2(NI) has a traffic light for residents.

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&hq=&hne ... 68,,0,4.11

As does this driveway further up. Note the red light on the other side of the road to it (beside the pickup).

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&hq=&hne ... 42,,0,4.95
BigToe

Post by BigToe »

There's one in Northaw which is really because of the narrow road but I guess the driveway leading to garages(?) has to be signal controlled:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&hq=&hne ... 77,,0,11.1
"Happiness is the road you travel, not the destination you arrive at." (Tony Rook, Hertfordshire Histories: Roads)
Debaser

Post by Debaser »

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... 6,,0,14.69

The traffic exiting the house tags onto the end of the Head's Lane green, since that's the only stream visible.

Added.
Of course, it has its own detector to force this phase when a vehicle is waiting to exit.
Beardy5632

Post by Beardy5632 »

I've found some more.

First of all, here's a set in Hereford with signals coming out of a BP garage.

Next, there's this on Bristol Road in Gloucester. The only signal controlling it is here on the other side of the road.

Finally, is this junction at Waitrose in Cheltenham, but would this count as private, even though the traffic lights are sort of in the superstore part itself?
British & Irish cities driven in - 48/75
England - 36/52, Scotland - 7/7, Wales - 5/6, NI - 0/5, RoI - 0/5
t1(M)

Post by t1(M) »

Three more

Hampton Wick, at the entrance to a sports ground (and linked to the Pelican at the pedestrian entrance to Bushy Park)

Norbiton (entrance to ASDA and Boots car park)

(100yards up the road is a junction between two A roads (A308/A238) which is NOT signal controlled!

Fleet Street (at a TOTSO on the A4, no less!)
The signal head in the middle of the shot is facing the exit from Mitre Court, (between Carphone Warehouse and Lipman & Sons), which is part of the Middle Temple (one of the Inns of Court)
andy_birkett

Post by andy_birkett »

Bit of a cheat again, as it isn't a driveway or home, but it's private property. This is the entrance/exit for my place of work, and its seemingly randomly sequenced signals.

Andy
boing_uk
Account deactivated at user request

Post by boing_uk »

Brandy Wharf, Lincolnshire The white square painted in the car park is the detector loop. It used to say "WAIT HERE" on it too - all painted by the pub owner of course. On the other side of the bridge, there used to be a keyswitch for the driveways, but it has since changed.

West Street, Horncastle you can see the two detector loops, one in the driveway and one in the footway.

Scartho Rd, Grimsby these two drives used to have pushbuttons - quite how they are detected now I have no idea.

Bardney Bridge Again, I think this one is a loop just on the highway side of the gate, but cannot remember for sure.
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Ounsdale Road, Wombourne, next to the canal bridge. There is a single property with its own signal, right next to a normal street junction. Not sure how it is detected. Note that the bridge is narrow, and signal control is necessary for that reason as well as the junctions.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Has anyone mentioned the ones that stop three lanes of the North Circular yet?

They allow exit from a private driveway onto the A406 - and appear to be operated by a pedestrian crossing-type push button next to the driveway. That seems wide open to abuse!
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

There's one at the remodelled A494(ex A5117)/A550 junction at Shotwick/Woodbank.

It's on Streetview here, not yet on Google satellite view. It's on Bing/Multimap aerial view, but I don't know how to link to that.
Halstead

Post by Halstead »

The nearest example I can think of that semi relates is this traffic signal on the A2212 which serves new properties built on a railway cutting which already connect to a bottleneck.

There's also a traffic signal exclusively for this fire station on the fringes of Addiscombe.
6 years...
si404

Post by si404 »

They were only building it when the streetview car came along, but here are some traffic lights for a gated private property. OK, so it's a fairly major employer, but still!

I guess Burgess Road was lamenting the loss of the traffic lights at Dahlia Road, so needed some more!
"“Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations" Thomas Jefferson
Beardy5632

Post by Beardy5632 »

There are 2 sets of part time signals at Barnwood, on the outskirts of Gloucester, here and here.
kieron

Post by kieron »

wrinkly wrote:There's one at the remodelled A494(ex A5117)/A550 junction at Shotwick/Woodbank.

It's on Streetview here, not yet on Google satellite view.
Are there two sets there? There are two stop lines, but the only set of lights I can see in front of the second is a secondary on the far side of the junction, which seems a bit odd for an approach used by the general public.

Maybe they're trying to discourage cyclists from using it in an attempt to avoid the sharp bends and lack of far side lights on the adjacent "pegasus" crossing. Not that I can imagine anyone doing that, of course.
wrinkly wrote:It's on Bing/Multimap aerial view, but I don't know how to link to that.
Really? I had no problems with the "link" button on Multimap once I remembered that the red circle has to be in the image. The junction looks like this now, anyway.
BigToe

Post by BigToe »

kieron wrote:Are there two sets there? There are two stop lines, but the only set of lights I can see in front of the second is a secondary on the far side of the junction
If I get what you mean properly isn't the one in the middle in this view the primary signal?

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ie= ... 10504&z=17
"Happiness is the road you travel, not the destination you arrive at." (Tony Rook, Hertfordshire Histories: Roads)
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

kieron wrote:
wrinkly wrote:It's on Bing/Multimap aerial view, but I don't know how to link to that.
Really? I had no problems with the "link" button on Multimap once I remembered that the red circle has to be in the image.
I'm an idiot. I failed to see the link button. Even though I was looking for it.
kieron

Post by kieron »

BigToe wrote:If I get what you mean properly isn't the one in the middle in this view the primary signal
Sorry, I missed that completely. It still seems a bit of a waste to me to install the extra lights and sensors for such a tiny time saving.
boing_uk
Account deactivated at user request

Post by boing_uk »

kieron wrote:Sorry, I missed that completely. It still seems a bit of a waste to me to install the extra lights and sensors for such a tiny time saving.
Not really. It makes the junction much more efficient as you have two relatively short intergreens, rather than one long one. It also means you can run it in two separate stages to get a vehicle over half the junction at a time, also saving time for the major flows.

The additional cost at construction would have been about £4,000 or thereabouts. Not alot at all in the grand scheme of things.
Beardy5632

Post by Beardy5632 »

Here's one for a farm and another for a couple of houses at Lea on the Gloucestershire/Herefordshire border, all on the same junction.
kieron

Post by kieron »

boing_uk wrote:
kieron wrote:Sorry, I missed that completely. It still seems a bit of a waste to me to install the extra lights and sensors for such a tiny time saving.
Not really. It makes the junction much more efficient as you have two relatively short intergreens, rather than one long one. It also means you can run it in two separate stages to get a vehicle over half the junction at a time, also saving time for the major flows.
It won't save any time for the W-E flow, as that's still waiting for the second set of lights to change, and may have to wait an extra cycle if it hits it at the wrong time. It wouldn't save any time for the S-N flow, as the vehicles will take as long to clear the carriageway. The S-E and N-S sets will conflict with it, but the time cost would be small. I measure the distance between the two stop lines to be 40yds, which would take around 4 seconds to cover this distance at 20mph.

I suppose it all boils down to how much traffic actually uses this exit, and how many other vehicles are delayed as a result. As I don't have this information, there is unlikely to be much point in discussing this further providing that I understand your argument correctly.