Lorries, lorries, lorries... (Contains many images!)

Going on holiday? Just returned with pictures or news? Found an interesting website? Post everything international in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

M1

Lorries, lorries, lorries... (Contains many images!)

Post by M1 »

Driving on the outskirts of Beijing province on the weekend (I wasn't driving, my dad was...), I encountered the longest, biggest HGV jam I have ever seen. Pictures/descriptions below.

Entering the spur towards the Badaling expressway, from the old A-road. This isn't the start of the lorry jam, as it continues along the A-road as well.

More, more, more lorries...

Here we were pushed off the road for an odd one-way/roundabout system, though you can see the lorry line continuing.

Turning back onto the road, the lorry jam continues. Many of the lorry drivers were sleeping, meaning they had already been there for a relatively long time.

Heading towards the motorway, this bit of the spur is partially under motorway restrictions. With the relatively good visibility, you can clearly see the lorry line stretching into the far distance...

And they're still there... The line seemed never-ending, as it stretched all the way to the motorway end of the spur, and deep into the A-road at the other end.

This jam definitally contained at least hundreds of lorries, if not thousands. My guess, which my dad agreed with, is that the Chinese police finally started enforcing the motorway restrictions, and pushed all these heavy smoke-belchers off the motorway and onto the A-road, and that they were all held up like that due to weight and supervision stations positioned to check trucks heading into Beijing, though these are positioned around 10-15 miles down the A-road. I though it would be worth posting this here, as I have never seen so many lorries held up in one jam in my life. Many more pictures on https://www.flickr.com/photos/55347544@N00/
wibble

Post by wibble »

Sounds like a large queue - it is amazing to realise how many lorries are actually on the roads when you see them lined up like this!

One regular place I used to see long queues of lorries was on the Czech / German border at Rozvadoz / Waidhausen on the E50 between Nürnburg and Pilsen. These were especially bad on Sunday evenings due to the German HGV travel ban on sundays (until 22:00).

These are not so usual nowadays since the last EU expansion removed much of the control at this crossing, but a recent German Monday bank holiday, coupled with the normal Sunday queue caused a 18km tailback (from the border to the exit 136 here ) ! It is really un-nerving to drive for so long pass lorrries on the hardshoulder, I've learnt not to use the right land next to the hard shoulder, as lorry drivers seem to have a deathwish desire to walk out in to the main carriageway to get into or out of their cab. Why can't they use the passenger side door?

How much roadspace does the avarage HGV need? Estimating every lorry at say 20m long, this suggests over 900 lorries in the queue, if it is only 10m, then that's 1800 lorries!