Towns without traffic lights

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

WHBM

Re: Towns without traffic lights

Post by WHBM »

JTP wrote:Further afield than the UK - how many national capital cities have none? .
None in Vatican, or (possibly) any in Greenland. There are probably still other countries without them as well.
Beardy5632

Post by Beardy5632 »

May be wrong, but I don't think there are any traffic lights in Tetbury in Gloucestershire, unless the zebra crossing has been changed to a Pelican.

Jim.
There are some a few miles west of the town at the A46/A4135 junction.
British & Irish cities driven in - 48/75
England - 36/52, Scotland - 7/7, Wales - 5/6, NI - 0/5, RoI - 0/5
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Beardy5632 wrote:
May be wrong, but I don't think there are any traffic lights in Tetbury in Gloucestershire, unless the zebra crossing has been changed to a Pelican.

Jim.
There are some a few miles west of the town at the A46/A4135 junction.
That junction is nearer to Nailsworth than Tetbury, so hardly counts.

Jim.
Beardy5632

Post by Beardy5632 »

When I went to Bude in 2007, I didn't see any around there.
rhyds

Post by rhyds »

Octaviadriver wrote:
worcsfan wrote:Rhayader, Radnorshire?
I have a feeling there are pedestrian lights on the A470 going north out of town, but I could be mistaken.

In the same area, I can't remember any in Builth Wells. I don't think there are any traffic or pedestrian lights in Llandrindod Wells, but it has a level crossing with lights, so I suppose this excludes it.
Yes, there is a ped crossing in Rheadr on the north side of the crossroads.
Built for comfort, not speed.
B4133
Banned

Post by B4133 »

What about Howden as it doesn't have any traffic signals?
Bfivethousand

Post by Bfivethousand »

WHBM wrote:
JTP wrote:Further afield than the UK - how many national capital cities have none? .
None in Vatican, or (possibly) any in Greenland. There are probably still other countries without them as well.
Allow me to put you right about the latter... 8-)

Nuuk
16 Sodium atoms walk into a bar
followed immediately by Batman
jaconway88

Post by jaconway88 »

WHBM wrote:
Greenland's not a country, at least not in the sense of a sovereign state.
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

jaconway88 wrote:
WHBM wrote:
Greenland's not a country, at least not in the sense of a sovereign state.
No, for now it's a self-governing territory of the Danish kingdom. However, they are looking at the possibility of full independence.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Burwellian

Re:

Post by Burwellian »

tommyd49 wrote:Soham in Cambridgeshire.
I know it's an old post but still; even at the time of posting it wasn't correct. Soham has a set of lights right in the middle of town thanks to a pedestrian crossing outside the local co-op. Think it was put in about 2002.
Bfivethousand

Post by Bfivethousand »

Back to the original question, I was in Barmouth a couple of weeks back. Apart from the wigwags at the level crossing, I don't remember seeing any traffic signals at all.

(edit: don't recall seeing any in Harlech either!)
16 Sodium atoms walk into a bar
followed immediately by Batman
ellandback

Re:

Post by ellandback »

I'll give you Barmouth, but regret to advise that Harlech does not qualify under my definition of "town":
ellandback wrote: - For the purpose of this thread, any settlement shown in capital letters on an OS Landranger map is a town; if it's only shown in lower case letters it doesn't count.
Soham would have been disqualified for the same reason, even if it didn't have any lights. Sorry.
Helvellyn

Post by Helvellyn »

skiddaw05 wrote:
Glenn A wrote:I am sure there are none in Keswick.
I'm sure there are. There's a light controlled crossing on Victoria St near the junction with Station St (unless it's been removed in the last year)
It's still there, and there's a newer pedestrian crossing at the Main Street / Bank Street junction (which isn't really a proper junction as such due to the pedestrianised area). Lots of people trying to cross there and all the traffic going around the corner because of the pedestrianisation made it fairly necessary.
Stevie D

Re: Re:

Post by Stevie D »

ellandback wrote:I'll give you Barmouth, but regret to advise that Harlech does not qualify under my definition of "town":
ellandback wrote: - For the purpose of this thread, any settlement shown in capital letters on an OS Landranger map is a town; if it's only shown in lower case letters it doesn't count.
Soham would have been disqualified for the same reason, even if it didn't have any lights. Sorry.
OK, I didn't realise a town could be so small! In that case, I'll put Pateley Bridge on the map. Slightly bizarre that it counts as a town when Soham doesn't, given that Soham is a lot bigger!
Beardy5632

Post by Beardy5632 »

I'm sure Rothbury doesn't have any.
Runwell

Post by Runwell »

Although technically not eligible for this topic, I'm quite surprised that the town of Wickford in Essex, with about 35,000 people, has just one set of traffic lights (at the end of its high St, j/w A129) and 1-2 sets of pedestrian traffic lights scattered in two different parts of town. For a town that size, that's not much.
Glenn A

Post by Glenn A »

Alston, though the cobbled streets are a good way of reducing speed.
PeterA5145

Post by PeterA5145 »

Glenn A wrote:Alston, though the cobbled streets are a good way of reducing speed.
In the same part of the world, Brampton doesn't have any either, although I think it has a Puffin/Pelican.

If we're judging towns by being named in capital letters on OS Landranger maps, there are plenty of small towns/large villages in Scotland that must qualify, such as Ballater, Dornoch, Inveraray and Lochgilphead. Castle Douglas is a fair-sized town that doesn't have any. And there's Malpas in Cheshire.
“The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” – Robert A. Heinlein
si404

Post by si404 »

PeterA5145 wrote:If we're judging towns by being named in capital letters on OS Landranger maps, there are plenty of small towns/large villages in Scotland that must qualify, such as Ballater, Dornoch, Inveraray and Lochgilphead. Castle Douglas is a fair-sized town that doesn't have any. And there's Malpas in Cheshire.
Of course, Yarmouth, IoW is the smallest town in the UK - pop 1000. I'm not sure if it has traffic lights or not.
"“Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations" Thomas Jefferson
YellowVultures

Post by YellowVultures »

New Abbey, Torthorwald and Collin if they count. I've always been told they are really small towns and that Streetmap counts all as a town
Incontinence Hotline - Can You Hold Please?