NABRE

Going on holiday? Just returned with pictures or news? Found an interesting website? Post everything international in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

freebrickproductions

Re: NABRE

Post by freebrickproductions »

Truvelo wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 21:42
freebrickproductions wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 21:22
Truvelo wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 20:58 I usually see a yellow "Freeway Ends" or "Expressway Ends" sign.
Don't think I've seen those here in Alabama, so it may be a regional thing.
Most of the ones I've seen are in the northeast of the country. This was on US 35 in West Virginia where it went down to a two lane road. It has since been replaced by a divided highway so the freeway ends sign is no more. However, it's a bit of a misnomer as the freeway section contains at-grade junctions so it really isn't access controlled.
Honestly, I'd guess they meant to put an "expressway ends" sign there originally (assuming WV uses "expressway ends" signs), though correcting it ain't exactly gonna be an issue now, lol.
Probably busy documenting grade crossings in the southeastern United States.

(They/Them)
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Ohio 315 pretty much fizzles out at this set of traffic lights.
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.1210421 ... authuser=0
Within a mile its back down to good old fashioned 2 lane blacktop.

A mile the other way at Worthington heading into Columbus you have this.
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.0816655 ... authuser=0
bart

Post by bart »

Truvelo wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 20:58
Nic wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 16:53 America just loves a spontaneos Interstate, but this is how you know an Interstate has ended, when you get a nice At-Grade junction...
I usually see a yellow "Freeway Ends" or "Expressway Ends" sign.
In this case, there's a pair of "End Limited Access" signs (one on each side of the carriageway) followed by a pair of "Intersection Ahead" signs. I've never seen a limited access highway end without some sort of warning, such as those at the end of I-575 here, or the ones mentioned by Truvelo, or "Cross Traffic Ahead". I think the wording probably varies from state to state.

Of course, an interstate and a limited access highway aren't synonymous and there won't necessarily be any warning if an interstate simply flows onto another limited access highway the way the UK would have advance "End of Motorway" warnings.
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

bart wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 01:47 In this case, there's a pair of "End Limited Access" signs (one on each side of the carriageway) followed by a pair of "Intersection Ahead" signs.
I've seen those on Route 17 in New York before it was upgraded around 10 to 15 years ago.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
freebrickproductions

Post by freebrickproductions »

Bryn666 wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 14:22
Nic wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 02:16 So, something I'm not sure I've seen before - Question marks on road signs. I mean, maybe i have in some circumstances, but not in mere directional road signs.

Like here, in Maryland...

Bay Bridge Bound?

Are there other examples of Choose Your own Adventure style road signs?
See this is why I don't enjoy American signs... too informal.

"For Bay Bridge use US-50" would be much more informative without sounding like it wants to join you for lunch.
Looks like it has since been replaced with a newer one that reads "Bay Bridge STAY ON US 50" with "LOCAL ACCESS ON MD 18" written in a yellow panel below. Definitely a bit more formal than the previous one.
Probably busy documenting grade crossings in the southeastern United States.

(They/Them)
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

freebrickproductions wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 04:55
Bryn666 wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 14:22
Nic wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 02:16 So, something I'm not sure I've seen before - Question marks on road signs. I mean, maybe i have in some circumstances, but not in mere directional road signs.

Like here, in Maryland...

Bay Bridge Bound?

Are there other examples of Choose Your own Adventure style road signs?
See this is why I don't enjoy American signs... too informal.

"For Bay Bridge use US-50" would be much more informative without sounding like it wants to join you for lunch.
Looks like it has since been replaced with a newer one that reads "Bay Bridge STAY ON US 50" with "LOCAL ACCESS ON MD 18" written in a yellow panel below. Definitely a bit more formal than the previous one.
And much better!
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

An interesting US document from their Forestry Service
https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DO ... 810021.pdf
Patience is not a virtue - it's a concept invented by the dozy beggars who are unable to think quickly enough.
xnx

Post by xnx »

ScottB5411 wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 18:44
Peter Freeman wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 03:41
Chris Bertram wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 22:40
Common in quite a few US states, and I think Canadian provinces as well. But only on far-side mast arm signals. Pole mounted signals are vertical.
IIRC, quite common (perhaps almost the norm) in a few Asian countries.
Quebec has them everywhere
Same in Alberta. Also like the turn in red here.

Canada/US similar to Ireland/NI with metric/imperial. They now qualify moreCanadian signs with kph as it used to be Maximum 110 making a nice speedy ride in a US imperial car.

One downside is most NA cars are automatic with less manual models being made per year.