Bollards!

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

hlambourn

Re: Bollards!

Post by hlambourn »

Perhaps I can argue I was driving in a reasonable way, not tailgating anyone, and the bollard having lowered indicating to a reasonable person that he can proceed, should not then be capable of rising with a car on top of it. Perhaps one could say it is misleading?

It was caught on CCTV and I have asked for the security staff to keep the tape as evidence.
michael769

Post by michael769 »

hlambourn wrote:Perhaps I can argue I was driving in a reasonable way, not tailgating anyone, and the bollard having lowered indicating to a reasonable person that he can proceed, should not then be capable of rising with a car on top of it. Perhaps one could say it is misleading?
You certainly can. The difficult bit for will be proving that the fault (assuming there is one), did not develop just before the incident and therefor the owner knew (or should have known) that this was likely to happen. It is this need to prove that the owner knew of the fault (or failed to carry out the necessary checks to ensure the system as working correctly) that makes claims for damages involving failures of mechanical or electronic kit so difficult.
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
Take the pledge
J--M--B

Post by J--M--B »

JMB
Fort William
http://www.mbriscoe.me.uk

"Give me the third best technology. The second best won't be ready in time. The best will never be ready." Robert Watson-Watt
boing_uk
Account deactivated at user request

Post by boing_uk »

The damn things wont rise if someone is on top of them. Try standing on one when its trying to rise... it wont. This will be user error, not mechanical failure. Cops f**ked, pure and simple.
J--M--B

Post by J--M--B »

boing_uk wrote:The damn things wont rise if someone is on top of them. Try standing on one when its trying to rise... it wont. This will be user error, not mechanical failure. Cops f**ked, pure and simple.
But can you imagine them admitting that?
JMB
Fort William
http://www.mbriscoe.me.uk

"Give me the third best technology. The second best won't be ready in time. The best will never be ready." Robert Watson-Watt
jcpren

Post by jcpren »

boing_uk wrote:The damn things wont rise if someone is on top of them. Try standing on one when its trying to rise... it wont.
That might be true for some installations, but it's certainly not true for all of them. I've seen kids jumping on and successfully getting a "lift".
John
Lockwood

Post by Lockwood »

"Merseyside police and Liverpool City Council have launched a probe into how it happened"

The council already launched a probe into it. That's the whole point of the article!
DavidBrown

Post by DavidBrown »

boing_uk wrote:The damn things wont rise if someone is on top of them. Try standing on one when its trying to rise... it wont.
You sure?