A77: Ayr to Stranraer

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

What should become of the A77 between Ayr & Stranraer?

Motorway
14%
Grade-Seperated D2
32%
At-Grade D2
16%
WS2/S3/S4/S2+1 etc.
16%
Keep it as it is (ie. S2)
7%
Mixture of the above
14%
Other (please state)
1%

Total votes: 146

GC_NEMan1

Re: A77: Ayr to Stranraer

Post by GC_NEMan1 »

I voted for "At-Grade D2" but what I really meant is that junctions with other classified roads should be GSJ'd, while those with unclassified roads could remain at-grade, rather than having to build on a new alignment to have GSJs only...
m80

Post by m80 »

Hopefully the planned grade separation at Symington and Bogend Toll will also go ahead after which I'd expect the 50mph speed limit to be raised to 70. 
m80

Post by m80 »

jackal wrote:
si404 wrote:There's some hills in the way of that!
No more so than there were hills in the way of the A74(M).
m80 wrote:Having driven from Ayr to Cairnryan a few times recently and with my realistic head on I'd settle for: dualling / grade separation around Ayr as far as Maybole; Maybole northern bypass with climbing lanes; Girvan bypass with overtaking opportunity; and a few other WS2+1 sections south of Turnberry including Dowhill to Chapeldonan and Ardwell to Slockenray and a couple more south of Ballantrae.
The majority of the Ayr bypass should be dualled and grade separated. However, traffic falls off significantly at the A713 junction (the DfT say from 22,000 to 15,000) and further still to 12,000 at the A79 junction. At those volumes grade separation at the A79 junction can't really be justified, and S2+1 would be reasonable between Ayr and Maybole. I broadly agree with the suggestions for further south.
Fair enough, but there's no harm in future proofing for the planned southernly expansion of Ayr.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

How about "motorway with bridge/tunnel crossing to Ireland" (and not Iceland as I first typed!)
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Was92now625

Post by Was92now625 »

jackal wrote:If a motorway bridge between Stranraer and Northern Ireland were to be built (and there was some talk of such a thing relatively recently) it would maybe make most sense for the motorway on the Scottish side to extend to the A702 junction on the M74 (or thereabouts).
And nice to do something about A702 at the same time !!
m80

Post by m80 »

Quote from Alex Salmond today:-

"For the Maybole bypass, we now will start work on obtaining the necessary statutory permissions and draft orders."

Dare we hope?

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/News/Release ... 1/25110246
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Maybole bypass exhibition

Press release

leaflet
Nwallace

Re:

Post by Nwallace »

flyingscot wrote:Should be D2 till south of Ayr then an properly fixed single carraigeway with overtaking areas.
WS2 would probably do, outside of "a ferry has just arrived" times the only problem areas seem to be the narrower twistier bits and the towns.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the long-term plan is for dualling to extend as far south as the north end of the Maybole bypass.
clangy

Post by clangy »

wrinkly wrote:Maybole bypass exhibition
Thanks for the heads up on this wrinkly. I use this road a few times a year; south of Turnberry it's a really enjoyable drive; very picturesque landscapes and seascapes.

I'm a bit dissapointed by this proposal. Given the nature of the traffic on this road, caused by the ferry terminals at Cairnryan, you get long platoons of HGV's which are not easy to pass with just short lengths of overtaking lane and DAL's at junctions. So I think it should be D2 in its entirety, with a compact GSJ with the B7023. This would give a good safe opportunity for overtaking in both directions.

Overall, I think the whole route should be D2 to the south side of Girvan (with compact GSJ's, roundabouts and LILO's, no right turns across carriageway). Beyond that I think the currently proposed upgrades, plus a new off-line route with a climbing lane from Ballantrae to the top of the hill at Auchencrosh near Glen App Castle would bring it up to an acceptable standard.
John
jgharston

Post by jgharston »

wrinkly wrote:Maybole bypass exhibition
Press release
leaflet
Looks like a sensible route, it essentially straightens out a double kink as the A77 goes through Maybole, so you don't end up with strange "turn off to bypass" junctions.
m80

Post by m80 »

wrinkly wrote:I seem to remember reading somewhere that the long-term plan is for dualling to extend as far south as the north end of the Maybole bypass.
I thought the plan was to dual as far south as Bankfield with grade separation of Dutchhouse, Whittlets and Holmston Roundabouts.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

You may well be right. I may have misremembered.

Is Bankfield the A713 junction?
m80

Post by m80 »

wrinkly wrote:You may well be right. I may have misremembered.

Is Bankfield the A713 junction?
Yes that's the one.

I dug out this from the STPR: http://www.transportscotland.gov.uk/fil ... 2D24P1.pdf
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Either I'm mixed up about what I saw, or the thing I saw was real but was an aspiration of South Ayrshire Council before the STPR was published.
Trebeck

Post by Trebeck »

Interesting strip map, though it may make sense to use the route of the A8 to get to Belfast.

A tunnel between Larne and Newtownabbey would be over the top, especially with no junctions.

If we are improving a road, we should improve the A75.
RS990

Post by RS990 »

jackal wrote:
si404 wrote:There's some hills in the way of that!
No more so than there were hills in the way of the A74(M).
m80 wrote:Having driven from Ayr to Cairnryan a few times recently and with my realistic head on I'd settle for: dualling / grade separation around Ayr as far as Maybole; Maybole northern bypass with climbing lanes; Girvan bypass with overtaking opportunity; and a few other WS2+1 sections south of Turnberry including Dowhill to Chapeldonan and Ardwell to Slockenray and a couple more south of Ballantrae.
The majority of the Ayr bypass should be dualled and grade separated. However, traffic falls off significantly at the A713 junction (the DfT say from 22,000 to 15,000) and further still to 12,000 at the A79 junction. At those volumes grade separation at the A79 junction can't really be justified, and S2+1 would be reasonable between Ayr and Maybole. I broadly agree with the suggestions for further south.
I would be inclined to support a grade separated dual carriageway finishing just south of the Doonholm Road/Corton Road junctions then upgrading the quality of the single carriageway south of Ayr, perhaps bypassing some of the villages along the way. A Maybole bypass is essential.

If the proposed South East Ayr expansion ever goes ahead, the A77 south of the Bankfield roundabout could see a big increase in traffic.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Another exhibition about the Maybole bypass, Dec 13th:

http://www.transportscotland.gov.uk/New ... ole-Bypass

A lot of materials are online:

http://www.transportscotland.gov.uk/roa ... ole-bypass

For drawings see Environmental Statement Vol 1 Ch 17
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Glenn A

Post by Glenn A »

Links to Stranraer and Cairnryan are dire. The A75 was modernised on the cheap in the nineties as an S2 and the A77 south of Ayr is poor. I'd have both roads upgraded to D2, it's just not good enough to have Scotland's major ferry and freight ports served by such poor roads.