M62 Burtonwood WEST services-IS TO CLOSE!

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

M56phil

M62 Burtonwood WEST services-IS TO CLOSE!

Post by M56phil »

Abit of a shock headline. But, this Ive heard is really happening from various people who live near the M62.

The services will close as unprofitable and land sold for development.

Cars needing services will be diverted via J8 and a new "sort of" access road or flyover.

Dont know timescales or plans as of yet.

Anyone know anything else?

Is this the first recorded history of a services being shut down???
M56phil

Post by M56phil »

Forgot to put this in. When I visited the services last time-the lights were out and all the original blue columns have been replaced on the eastbound side but NOT the westbound!

the plot thickens!
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

Is that the one with the pagoda style buildings. They were looking rather shabby the last time I saw them.

If anything I would have thought the eastbound services were a more likely candidate for closure as the new junction makes access less obvious.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

IIRC, the eastbound services were recently refurbished and now share the site with a coach interchange. I can only imagine that Welcome Break want to send everything to one site, and why not? It's cheaper, and J8 can already be used for all traffic to access it (although the eastbound services will need a new exit).

Burtonwood isn't alone, in 2010 both sides of Leicester Forest East (oh yes, it's plugging time again) are due to close because of improvements to J21.
Last edited by Johnathan404 on Sun Apr 25, 2010 19:01, edited 1 time in total.
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
SteveA30

Post by SteveA30 »

I think a Leicester Forest East wake is called for in 2010, on closing day. We could aim to be the last out before the doors close. Group photo of course. 8-)
M56phil

Post by M56phil »

Re-Leicester Forest East, is anything going to replace it?

I dont understand why they are "improving" the M1 between J21-J21A as its D4M? are they widening it to D5M?
traffic-light-man

Post by traffic-light-man »

West bnd traffic and leave and use East bnd services because of J8, but wy can't they put in a back road out of the services onto the side road off J8, like this:

Simon
scragend

Post by scragend »

SteveA30 wrote:I think a Leicester Forest East wake is called for in 2010, on closing day. We could aim to be the last out before the doors close. Group photo of course. 8-)
It'll change my trips to France/Belgium forever. Tradition dictates that I always stop at Leicester Forest East. Usually at 1am :)
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

Burtonwood has looked near-derelict every time I've visited it in the last few years - on both sides.

The only answer I can think of short of closing it might be an M8 Harthill/Heart of Scotland style makeover, reducing the thing to a well-stocked petrol station/shop with teas, coffees etc.

It's a pity to see any MSA close when provision is still inadequate on the network overall, though.
Electrophorus Electricus

Check out #davidsdailycar on Mastodon
Ste_Nova

Post by Ste_Nova »

it's shut now!

we are gearing up for a look round before they demo it

as for using the east bound for both sides you can get to and from the eastbound on the service road from the roundabout
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

traffic-light-man wrote:West bnd traffic and leave and use East bnd services because of J8, but wy can't they put in a back road out of the services onto the side road off J8, like this:
That's exactly what happens when there are services only on one side of the carriageway, look at the previous layouts of Chieveley and Blyth for example.
M56phil wrote:Re-Leicester Forest East, is anything going to replace it?
Yes, a big flyover! Part of the plans are to use the gap in the M69 to build a link to the M1 north, the last I heard was that there are two options; one of which uses the services' land and the other joins the M1 too close to the services for them to be accessible.
B4133
Banned

Post by B4133 »

last time i went it looked like a ghost town, but a few cars were parked up so it looks like it will be a one sider services - a northern version of Scrachwood (London Gateway) {i love using old service area names}

Happy New Year
Ste_Nova

Post by Ste_Nova »

was there last night, it's all boarded up and looks to have been for a while

p.s. i wouldn't advise going there at night, there were some undesirables hanging round, i don't know who was more shocked, us for coming across them, or them for being come across by 3 lads dressed fully in black with huge torches and crowbars :lol:
Kenny1975

Post by Kenny1975 »

Ste_Nova wrote:was there last night, it's all boarded up and looks to have been for a while

p.s. i wouldn't advise going there at night, there were some undesirables hanging round, i don't know who was more shocked, us for coming across them, or them for being come across by 3 lads dressed fully in black with huge torches and crowbars :lol:
Those services have got a bad rep i wouldnt stop there at night with a truck.
There are more pandas in Scotland than Tory MP's

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jpgrbeat/
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Re: M62 Burtonwood WEST services-IS TO CLOSE!

Post by Steven »

M56phil wrote:Is this the first recorded history of a services being shut down???
Strensham northbound closed a few years ago, and moved to a new site just to the north.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

DavidBrown

Post by DavidBrown »

Although to be fair Strensham was more of a relocation rather than a full-blown closure. Must admit I can't think of any other MSA's that have closed down.
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

DavidBrown wrote:Although to be fair Strensham was more of a relocation rather than a full-blown closure. Must admit I can't think of any other MSA's that have closed down.
Does Todhills count? Moto have removed it from their website so you can presume its future isn't that bright.
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

DavidBrown wrote:Although to be fair Strensham was more of a relocation rather than a full-blown closure. Must admit I can't think of any other MSA's that have closed down.
Knutsford has previously been on the "to close" list, with one variant of the A556(M) involving the removal of the MSA.

Equally, Hilton Park will close if the utterly barmy option of adding north-facing slips at M6 J10A (as opposed to the more sensible A460(M) contruction) comes to pass.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

Steven wrote:Equally, Hilton Park will close if the utterly barmy option of adding north-facing slips at M6 J10A (as opposed to the more sensible A460(M) contruction) comes to pass.
Hilton Park is (was?) Moto's most profitable site, they're not going to let go of it without a fight.

Besides, if it does go, that'll leave one hell of a gap between Warwick and Stafford via the NEC (which, whether you like it or not, is the signed route round Birmingham), unless Catherine-de-Barns is built which is very unlikely.
haymansafc

Post by haymansafc »

I was going to say I’m sure Burtonwood West has been boarded up for a while now, certainly at least the last year. The lads on 28 days later made a thread about it, including pictures, which I’m sure will be of interest to anyone here.

It would seem unusual to see a service station close, but I think part of it’s downfall has been down to the construction of junction 8 - which the Gemini Retail Park sits more or less directly off. No more than a minute down Charon Way, a newly built link road to the M62 from here (and runs directly behind the Burtonwood Westbound), and you’re right in the middle of it. It’s no harder to go here than it is to the services.

I wouldn’t be at all surprised if Gemini Retail Park were to be extended over the land once the services have been demolished.

The Eastbound services have also been very quiet since junction 8 opened as already said, you have to go up the off-slip and then back down the on-slip before you find the off-slip for the services (if you’re still with me!). I’ve little doubt it’s confused people.