Major British interchanges

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Ruperts Trooper

Re: Major British interchanges

Post by Ruperts Trooper »

varga wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 16:37
wrinkly wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 14:25
varga wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 13:43 remember hearing someone describe ' 'Spaguetti Junction' ' in Birmingham as a ' 'stafford knot' '!
What a shame that particular Junction is in Warwickshire :[
Have you heard of a stafford knot in any other context? I haven't.

Edit: I see from Wikipedia it's the traditional symbol of Stafford and Staffordshire. I never knew that before, despite having relatives in Walsall.
that exactly. I think the pretzel they call the 'stafford knot' in Staffordshire is wellknown, though I do not think its recognition is nearly so universal like the 'rose' symbols of Lancaster and York ...
except to Australians that is, the Brisbane coat of arms bears the knot, that particular city is named for someone called Brisbane who served in the Staffordshire regiment is why
The North Staffordshire Railway was known as the Knotty and used the Staffordshire Knot as it's symbol - later absorbed into LMS at Grouping.
Lifelong motorhead