Botched Roadsigns

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Piatkow

Re: Botched Roadsigns

Post by Piatkow »

ellandback wrote:If it wasn't already obvious that you should follow "Saltaire" in order to get to the tourist attraction of Saltaire Village (which is to all intents and purposes the same thing), here's a somewhat dubious-looking patch to help you.
Obvious if you know the area but I imagine that they have had too many complaints from people following the "Salts Mill" tourist sign which takes you to a private road at the other end of the mill complex.
kc1

Post by kc1 »

Burns wrote::D
A Scottish motorway sign with arrows? :o
Osthagen

Post by Osthagen »

This sign near Tyn-y-Cefyn isn't necessarily botched, but implies a GSJ even though it refers to a T-junction.
A494.png
A494.png (19.35 KiB) Viewed 930 times
"I see the face of a child. He lives in a great city. He is black. Or he is white. He is Mexican, Italian, Polish. None of that matters. What matters, he's an American child"
- Richard Nixon
Robert Kilcoyne

Post by Robert Kilcoyne »

While I was on holiday recently, I saw this route confirmation sign after the northbound slip road from the A683 joins the M6 at Junction 34.
DSC01046.JPG
Burns

Post by Burns »

McNessA720 wrote:This sign near Tyn-y-Cefyn isn't necessarily botched, but implies a GSJ even though it refers to a T-junction.

A494.png
That reminds me of a sign not too far from home. The B9171 becomes an unclassified road if you carry straight on at the junction, hence the odd looking width of the arrows.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Robert Kilcoyne wrote:While I was on holiday recently, I saw this route confirmation sign after the northbound slip road from the A683 joins the M6 at Junction 34.

DSC01046.JPG
There are several botches on the A683 scheme. I am not surprised.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Putting aside the fact that the super primary destination "The LAKES" hasn't been permitted for years, it refers to a whole area of England. How can it all be 18 miles away?

The corners of the sign look wrong too. :roll:
Robert Kilcoyne

Post by Robert Kilcoyne »

Chris5156 wrote:Putting aside the fact that the super primary destination "The LAKES" hasn't been permitted for years, it refers to a whole area of England. How can it all be 18 miles away?

The corners of the sign look wrong too. :roll:
I think that it should have read "Kendal 18". Even the southern end of Windermere (the most southerly lake nearest to the M6) would be more than 18 miles by road from Junction 34.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

The LAKES is back in - as soon as you get to J30 it's the forward destination for the M6. After then it is SCOTLAND.

The weird corners are seemingly an Area 10 special. They're on the M60/M62 too.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Bryn666 wrote:The LAKES is back in - as soon as you get to J30 it's the forward destination for the M6. After then it is SCOTLAND.

The weird corners are seemingly an Area 10 special. They're on the M60/M62 too.
Area 10 needs to get a grip!
Osthagen

Post by Osthagen »

Chris5156 wrote:Putting aside the fact that the super primary destination "The LAKES" hasn't been permitted for years, it refers to a whole area of England. How can it all be 18 miles away?
The distance on that sign seems to refer to Kendal. I should note that Kendal isn't even in The LAKES itself.
"I see the face of a child. He lives in a great city. He is black. Or he is white. He is Mexican, Italian, Polish. None of that matters. What matters, he's an American child"
- Richard Nixon
RichardA35
Elected Committee Member

Post by RichardA35 »

Not really a botch as it seems to work reasonably well, but there are several signs mounted at ground level around Bodmin town
zeromh.jpg
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

Ground level is better as it doesn't obstruct vision.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Truvelo wrote:Ground level is better as it doesn't obstruct vision.
But the signs can easily be obscured by even small vehicles.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

RichardA35 wrote:Not really a botch as it seems to work reasonably well, but there are several signs mounted at ground level around Bodmin town
zeromh.jpg
I think that's a Cornwall Council thing.
Bfivethousand

Post by Bfivethousand »

They're fine until you get an inch of snow and a moderate breeze.
16 Sodium atoms walk into a bar
followed immediately by Batman
Stevie D

Post by Stevie D »

McNessA720 wrote:This sign near Tyn-y-Cefyn isn't necessarily botched, but implies a GSJ even though it refers to a T-junction.

A494.png
I agree that it's a flawed design. I've seen quite a few similar examples elsewhere. They really should be stacked panels rather than fork signs – while they may not be strictly GSJ signs, if the fork is at 45° rather than 60° – I doubt many sign designers would recognise the difference, let alone regular Joe drivers.

To be honest, I would like to see a presumption for stacked panels over map signs for simple 3-way and 4-way junctions, unless there is a good reason to make an exception. They are easy to read, and far more space-efficient, meaning lower cost of installation.

(On a related note, I'm also getting fed up with map signs that try to show too much detail. It's a bit hard to see, but this one on the new A6194 at https://youtu.be/ilud3c_JWUI?t=1m9s is a prime example – essentially, it's a simple 4-way roundabout, but none of the roads on the sign are at 90° to any others. There's no reason why not – no driver from reading a sign showing all roads at right angles is going to be confused by them being 10° off – and it just looks messy and unnecessarily confusing).
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Stevie D wrote:(On a related note, I'm also getting fed up with map signs that try to show too much detail. It's a bit hard to see, but this one on the new A6194 at https://youtu.be/ilud3c_JWUI?t=1m9s is a prime example – essentially, it's a simple 4-way roundabout, but none of the roads on the sign are at 90° to any others. There's no reason why not – no driver from reading a sign showing all roads at right angles is going to be confused by them being 10° off – and it just looks messy and unnecessarily confusing).
I absolutely agree with this. A map-type sign is meant to be a simplified diagram and very often modern roundabout signs seem to have been made by someone obsessed with marking the arms of the roundabout at precisely the right angles to each other. It makes the sign more complex and harder to understand.
Klepsydra

Post by Klepsydra »

"I went to a planet without bilateral symmetry and all I got was this lousy F-shirt."
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Klepsydra wrote:Darkest Essex.
Gaaaaah!

And elsewhere...

No, Lewisham. No.