Botched Roadsigns

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Re: Botched Roadsigns

Post by Chris5156 »

tom66 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 22:37Is A14 in the wrong colour?
https://www.google.com/maps/@52.4043609 ... ?entry=ttu
Yes, it should have "(A14)" in yellow on a green patch.
multiraider2

Post by multiraider2 »

OK. Had booked a day's holiday to use it up before March year-end and had nothing much to do or people to see it with. I had a bit of a travel day. All public transport, but including passing the King George V stop on the DLR. I got off there and went to look at the sign I last posted. The lane allocation sign has been replaced with a Primary Route version. With the addition of a traffic island plus keep left bollard at the crown of the bend, it's actually probably not as potentially dangerous as before. Still think as it is situated before the traffic is separated with the later dualling it still qualifies as botched, but hey ho. Onward!
Attachments
North Woolwich sign small.jpg
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

multiraider2 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 16:31OK. Had booked a day's holiday to use it up before March year-end and had nothing much to do or people to see it with. I had a bit of a travel day. All public transport, but including passing the King George V stop on the DLR. I got off there and went to look at the sign I last posted. The lane allocation sign has been replaced with a Primary Route version. With the addition of a traffic island plus keep left bollard at the crown of the bend, it's actually probably not as potentially dangerous as before. Still think as it is situated before the traffic is separated with the later dualling it still qualifies as botched, but hey ho. Onward!
I agree it's still botched - the destination "through traffic" leads to a non-primary route so should be in a black on white panel.
swissferry

Post by swissferry »

tom66 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 22:37 Not a bodged roadsign, but how on earth did the Google car end up here given they would have to drive through a no entry sign on each end...
https://www.google.com/maps/@52.4032023 ... ?entry=ttu
(well I know how, but it's not a good look!)
Are roads allowed to be no entry in both directions? I thought they should have used no vehicle or no motor vehicle signs.
jnty

Post by jnty »

swissferry wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 19:54
tom66 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 22:37 Not a bodged roadsign, but how on earth did the Google car end up here given they would have to drive through a no entry sign on each end...
Are roads allowed to be no entry in both directions? I thought they should have used no vehicle or no motor vehicle signs.
To drag a topic of conversation in from another thread, perhaps it should be a blue circle with "ambulance" in it...
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

swissferry wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 19:54
Maybe Google requested and received specific permission?
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
Nathan_A_RF

Post by Nathan_A_RF »

Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

I suppose it gets the message across, if not in an entirely legal way.

And I guess someone from another country did the text on this sign.
Attachments
center.jpg
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
wallmeerkat

Post by wallmeerkat »

Is there convention for when Ramp should be used vs Speed humps?

Ramp - https://www.google.com/maps/@51.4422,0. ... ?entry=ttu
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

wallmeerkat wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 13:16 Is there convention for when Ramp should be used vs Speed humps?

I think the convention is that this sign shouldn’t exist!
Darren

Post by Darren »

Chris5156 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 13:35 I think the convention is that this sign shouldn’t exist!
I'm not sure the proper sign *did* exist when those went up - it was in the early 90s, IIRC, when the council spent a load of money making Bluetown look more prosperous. In came "traffic calming", and those signs ahead of every single ramp/speed bump/whatever you'd call them.
Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

Chris5156 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 13:35
wallmeerkat wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 13:16 Is there convention for when Ramp should be used vs Speed humps?

I think the convention is that this sign shouldn’t exist!
The road hump sign (Diagram 557.1) was first prescribed in 1994. The triangle in the photo is very old, based on the visible rivets on the sign face. I can't recall exactly when visible rivets were removed from the BS but sometime in late '80s rings a vague bell. So perhaps the installation is an early road hump installation from the late '80s or early '90s, with the supplementary plate being (hopefully) authorised by DfT (or whatever they were called) at the time.

Although you'd like to think someone would have replaced such an old sign by now.
Patience is not a virtue - it's a concept invented by the dozy beggars who are unable to think quickly enough.
MotorwayGuy

Post by MotorwayGuy »

A similar situation to these "Queues Likely" signs, presumably they predate the introduction of the symbol.
Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

So if you want to go to Brid or Hull, you can either turn left or go straight ahead, because both are good. The number of idiots who design signs like this is frightening.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.95885 ... &entry=ttu
Patience is not a virtue - it's a concept invented by the dozy beggars who are unable to think quickly enough.
swissferry

Post by swissferry »

Think this no right turn is botched. If not its out of date but I cannot recall there ever being a gap in the crash barrier.
swissferry

Post by swissferry »

More fixed than botched but patch could have been better.
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

swissferry wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 19:52 More fixed than botched but patch could have been better.
So what's the difference between a round and triangle height sign? One's regulatory and the other's a warning but both have the same meaning in that a vehicle over the height won't be able to get under the bridge.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
swissferry

Post by swissferry »

Truvelo wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 20:53
swissferry wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 19:52 More fixed than botched but patch could have been better.
So what's the difference between a round and triangle height sign? One's regulatory and the other's a warning but both have the same meaning in that a vehicle over the height won't be able to get under the bridge.
I've happily driven under this bridge with a warning triangle but I wouldn't if it was a roundel as I'd be committing an offence.
Octaviadriver

Post by Octaviadriver »

swissferry wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 21:50 I've happily driven under this bridge with a warning triangle but I wouldn't if it was a roundel as I'd be committing an offence.
They can't decide how high the bridge is. On the advance warning signs, it's 4'6" but on the sign over the bridge it's 4'9".
swissferry

Post by swissferry »

Octaviadriver wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:18
swissferry wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 21:50 I've happily driven under this bridge with a warning triangle but I wouldn't if it was a roundel as I'd be committing an offence.
They can't decide how high the bridge is. On the advance warning signs, it's 4'6" but on the sign over the bridge it's 4'9".
The 4' 6" signs replaced some of the 4' 9" ones. Lowest point I measured was around 5' 1": viewtopic.php?p=1329944#p1329944