Botched Roadsigns

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

GrahamP

Re: Botched Roadsigns

Post by GrahamP »

Something that just occurred to me: if that sign is brand new, howcome it's monolingual?
Glen
Social Media Admin

Post by Glen »

GrahamP wrote:Something that just occurred to me: if that sign is brand new, howcome it's monolingual?
Because they aren't doing bilingual signs on the A9, only the A835 in this area and A87, A830 and (I think) A82 and A828 around Loachaber and Argyll.
NICK 647063

Post by NICK 647063 »

Just something i noticed looking at the new and old signs on the A9 photos the old sign has a crash barrier along side it to stop people hitting the sign poles, but the new one does not have a barrier i take it these are some sort of new poles that knock down easier causing less damage to the car that hits it.

I did wonder if anyone knows what these new poles are made of, at one time the H/A where using some mesh like poles like what are all along the A43 that crumple on impact also they used a few on the A64 but now these new poles seem to have taken over lots have been put in on the A64 and the new lamposts on the A64/A1039 roundabout are also made of the same stuff looks like a normal pole until you look close its sort of rippled and on a cement base.

The main reason i want to know about these new poles is because when the recent improvements were done on the A64 at stockton crossroads near york they used these new poles on some signs then used the mesh like ones to put the new massive crossroads warning signs on so whats the differance between them for them to have used both types?
Glen
Social Media Admin

Post by Glen »

Yes, looking at the new signs in passing they do appear to have "passively safe" fibreglass posts, hence the removal of the safety fences.

It does seem to be a bit random which use fibreglass and which use aluminium lattice posts (as I have seen both large and smaller signs with either type); but I think the fibreglass is cheaper although it seems to be a slightly newer product as the aluminium lattice ones have been around for a few years whereas fibreglass posts have only started appearing more recently.
Halstead

Post by Halstead »

JohnM23 wrote:i think i remember seeing a photo someone posted of a road marking somewhere that said, "Turn Leet" as opposed to "Turn Left" :lol: :lol: it still cracks me up
Surely shouldn't that be "7urn 1337"?

My avatar has caught the sights of a selected few and out of all the spectical cop hotspots it's seen in front of a cobbled stairway inClovelly, Devon.
6 years...
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

There are several in the Atherton area (some in Tyldesley too, but those ones have been replaced) that have the distance to Manchester bolted on with the old distance covered up - surely Manchester hasn't moved?

There are also a couple of signs in the Tyldesley area with wrong numbers on - for example "Wigan A572" instead of "Wigan A577". IIRC, there's also one with a wrong number on the A573 at Golborne (A580 junction).
Voie Rapide / Mótarbhealaí
Updated 1 November 2019!
highwaymana31

Post by highwaymana31 »

Glen wrote:Yes, looking at the new signs in passing they do appear to have "passively safe" fibreglass posts, hence the removal of the safety fences.

It does seem to be a bit random which use fibreglass and which use aluminium lattice posts (as I have seen both large and smaller signs with either type); but I think the fibreglass is cheaper although it seems to be a slightly newer product as the aluminium lattice ones have been around for a few years whereas fibreglass posts have only started appearing more recently.
Probably Jerol

You can find more products within this site
Mr Brown, 1984 was a warning, not an instruction manual

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=JCwW_1rswyo
Arcuarius

Post by Arcuarius »

The new route confirmatory sign going eastbound out of the new Haughley straight says:

A14
(A12)
Felixstowe
Harwich
Colchester

... or something similar. Really is dreadful, and nothing like what we would put up ourselves.

Incidentally, when was the last time you saw solitary 600mm roundels on Lattix posts? If you go up onto the new J49 you'll see some :(
"Accuse the other side of that which you are guilty."
- some extreme-right nutcase

1973-2007 Never forgotten
highwaymana31

Post by highwaymana31 »

StormA1022 wrote: ...Incidentally, when was the last time you saw solitary 600mm roundels on Lattix posts? If you go up onto the new J49 you'll see some :(
Somebody obviously has money to burn
Mr Brown, 1984 was a warning, not an instruction manual

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=JCwW_1rswyo
Glen
Social Media Admin

Post by Glen »

StormA1022 wrote:Incidentally, when was the last time you saw solitary 600mm roundels on Lattix posts? If you go up onto the new J49 you'll see some :(
On the M80 there is a solitary warning triangle on a Lattix post behind a barrier!

I've also seen Lattix posts right next to lighting columns, surely if you hit the sign you'll hit the pretty solid light anyway? Or how about in front of a stone wall?
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

How about the chopsticks sign on the Eastbound slip road at M4 J14 written in Transport instead of Motorway Permanent :@
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
Mattemotorway

Post by Mattemotorway »

Truvelo wrote:How about the chopsticks sign on the Eastbound slip road at M4 J14 written in Transport instead of Motorway Permanent :@
Or on the westbound slip of M62 J36 or the southbound slip of M18 J6? It's not that uncommon!
My old posts are just downright embarrassing.

Expects to climb the job ladder quickly and is often glued to my phone... Apparently..
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

Here's another dodgy one. The destinations shown are boroughs although the first two are also towns. As we're already in the borough of Sandwell the A4034 should be pointing towards West Bromwich or Oldbury.

Last edited by Truvelo on Fri Oct 03, 2008 17:55, edited 1 time in total.
Big and complex.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Seen in Liverpool on 14 September:

Then there's also these old favouites from Wigan:

And also this one in Atherton (which I redrew as was unable to photograph):
Updated 1 November 2019!
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

There's a sign in Saltash which has Plymouth A38 on a blue patch instead of a green one :oops:

I guess the A38 is a sort of quasi motorway :D
Big and complex.
JamesA44

Post by JamesA44 »

Worcestershire really is bad - here's a couple more...

Approaching M5 J6 on the A4538 you see this:-

Fine, you may think (well, apart from the sign being green despite this not being a primary route). But the only sign you see before the roundabout is this one...

...which obviously doesn't mention "City centre and West" at all.

So maybe you think "Well, I'll follow Worcester, that must be the City Centre - wrong...! It's the exit just signed "Warndon" you need, which is finally signed as "City centre and West" at the flag sign leading off the roundabout. Probably too late by then!

And then there's this, which is a brand new sign put up at a new roundabout near the signs above (not that you'd think it was brand new, it's already got a couple of dents.)

Only problem is - Hereford should be signed (A4103) and Malvern as (A449). Oh, and Leominster and Kidderminster should really appear as well.

Hopeless... :roll:
autosignguy
Account deactivated at user request

Post by autosignguy »

A classic example would be the sign that my friend misunderstood:
Mon-Sat
8am-6am
Waiting limited
to 20 minutes
Return prohibited
within 40 minutes
She never really got the meaning of the sign and misunderstood it completely...

Thankfully that sign has now been withdrawn.
RichieGraham

Post by RichieGraham »

autosignguy wrote:A classic example would be the sign that my friend misunderstood:
Mon-Sat
8am-6am
Waiting limited
to 20 minutes
Return prohibited
within 40 minutes
She never really got the meaning of the sign and misunderstood it completely...

Thankfully that sign has now been withdrawn.
Sign makes sense to me... between 8am and 6pm on Mondays to Saturdays, waiting is limited to 20 minutes, and after those 20 minutes you can't come back for forty... Also not sure by 'now been withdrawn' as there are loads of them around, including some new ones on the road between Sampford Peverall and Tiverton Parkway Station (incidentally, that road is also NSL!!!)
I'm so embarassed that I wish everybody else would just die; Bender Bending Rodrẽguez, Futurama
B4133
Banned

Post by B4133 »

Nicholas wrote:Seen in Liverpool on 14 September:
It looks like the signing department had ran out of red stickie back plastic for sign, although it could be used on a motorway e.g. M531. :wink:

There's one in Leeds which also shows someone had copied from an O.S map. as it has (T) added to it.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

B4133 wrote:It looks like the signing department had ran out of red stickie back plastic for sign, although it could be used on a motorway e.g. M531. :wink:
Actually, to make the sign even more pathetic, it is actually on blue corrugated plastic!!!!
Updated 1 November 2019!