Pre-Worboys preservation campaign

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

swissferry

Re: Pre-Worboys preservation campaign

Post by swissferry »

Remnant of Gate Across Road
jervi

Post by jervi »

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.82205 ... ?entry=ttu

Noticed this the other day for when out on a walk. Seems to be in remarkable clarity, makes me think it has been repainted at some point
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Big L wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 17:13Have we had these before?
I think so, but I've no objection to seeing them again! :D
Rambo

Post by Rambo »

Captured this last week.
Attachments
IMG_8086 - Copy.JPG
IMG_8088 - Copy.JPG
Kevin Roads

Post by Kevin Roads »

Rambo wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 20:35 Captured this last week.
Excellent, Rambo. it's good to see that you're still finding things and actually taking photographs, always nicer than an internet-link. I'd never heard of Wray, there are so many of those little-known places up in north Lancashire that there must be a few more undiscovered gems such as this.

I haven't posted any photos for ages but am out tomorrow so I'll keep my eyes open and camera at the ready.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Rambo wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 20:35Captured this last week.
This is lovely, and must be knocking on for a hundred years old - it looks pre-war to me.
Rambo

Post by Rambo »

Thanks guys. There was another version of this at the other end of the village which was in better condition but it didn't have the road number on it. I didn't manage to get a decent pic of it because the low sun was directly behind it !
MotorwayGuy

Post by MotorwayGuy »

Randomly stumbled upon this on streetview.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Chris5156 wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 08:49
Rambo wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 20:35Captured this last week.
This is lovely, and must be knocking on for a hundred years old - it looks pre-war to me.
There are a number of these knocking about in Lancashire, and by all accounts they do indeed date to the 1920s/30s. They're a local variation of the hexagonal sign that used to be common on early trunk roads.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
traffic-light-man

Post by traffic-light-man »

Kevin Roads wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 08:48
Rambo wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 20:35 Captured this last week.
Excellent, Rambo. it's good to see that you're still finding things and actually taking photographs, always nicer than an internet-link. I'd never heard of Wray, there are so many of those little-known places up in north Lancashire that there must be a few more undiscovered gems such as this.

I haven't posted any photos for ages but am out tomorrow so I'll keep my eyes open and camera at the ready.
There's a lot of those types of sign still kicking around the county, and I think they can be seen in the 'ex-Lancashire' parts of south Cumbria, too. Most are in good condition and are kept maintained from what I've seen.

It's often crossed my mind that they should perhaps be documented in their own right - there's definitely a little project in that, if it hasn't been done already!
Simon
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

I just found this on a council estate in Stamford Hill. It was built in the 30s and it's pressed metal, quite probably as old as the building despite the randomly chosen font.

DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

This is one of the dodgiest signs I have ever seen, it has metal letters but on wood, and a black painted arrow added which is totally out of character with the sign. It has just been painted, and wood or not once you picture it without the arrow (which is functional, without it the direction isn't clear) it is still not a fingerpost as it uses a rare arrowless panel sign which gained an arrow at a later date. Islip, Northants.

Imagesign by David Howard, on Flickr
graeme_t

Post by graeme_t »

There's one here, in Muswell Hill, North London: . It was still in good nick when I drove past it yesterday.
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

I just found this nice pair in Aylesbury. Odd that yet again the arrows were painted on separately.

owen b

Post by owen b »

DavidNW9 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 22:59 I just found this nice pair in Aylesbury. Odd that yet again the arrows were painted on separately.

Nice signs :) . There is an office block called Jansel House in Luton, which is a prominent landmark on the A505 by the roundabout at Stopsley (NE side of town). I wasn't aware there was a Jansel Square in fairly nearby Aylesbury. It got me thinking that it's an unusual name and I was wondering how these two places came to get their names, but a quick internet search hasn't unearthed anything enlightening.
Owen
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

Checking as always when I got home I found there were three more signs, two at the car park entrance and one pointing to it which were all removed before 2016 leaving empty posts, which doesn't make sense as the car park is still there. I was lucky to get these two only as I got a bit lost and used the road to get back on track. I'd never have known about them otherwise and so well tucked away it's unlikely anyone not living there would ever find it otherwise.
Richard_Fairhurst

Post by Richard_Fairhurst »

Looking through some old cycling photos I found this, from 2011:

Unfortunately, Google Street View suggests it's been removed in the intervening years. Here's the Street View capture in 2009.
Help map the world: openstreetmap.org
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

That's an internet first, shame it's gone.

I was checking up on various existing photo details in Hereford, and found a pretty horrible looking painted pedestrian crossing sign which looked old, and went on Google to see it in situ. It turns out it had been painted on the back of a different sign which had been removed and attached to a barrier showing what it was before on the road side. It had also been turned upside down to not confuse drivers as the nearest roundabout was round the corner. I'm sure it's the only one left, and rare as normally roundabouts had the standard picture with a red triangle. I vaguely remember these but hardly in general use. I think a sign still counts if it's fixed on a road even if it's no longer in use, there's a left bend in Surrey on a pole (I never found where) with something else on the back and turned facing the other way but perfectly visible and would have counted had I needed one and known where it is.

This is what they used the other side for. I'm sure recycled signs also count if they're still the old format.