Pre-Worboys preservation campaign

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

DavidNW9

Re: Pre-Worboys preservation campaign

Post by DavidNW9 »

It overlaps the two, yes it's a direction sign, I also have a few with the arrow as part of the sign, hard to know if they qualify but nice. My best is one to three roads with an arrow in the panel in Wootton Basset.
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

tom66 wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 00:18 Not sure of the vintage of this sign but looks interesting.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.26455 ... 384!8i8192
Old but a bog-standard set of fingerposts. No terminal arrows.
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

That was a nice day out in Kent. I'm not 100% certain this wasn't to a private location (it's a stately home) but I think if the format is standard it should count.

Bfivethousand

Post by Bfivethousand »

Are these on the list?

Knockentiber
16 Sodium atoms walk into a bar
followed immediately by Batman
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

Bfivethousand wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 23:30 Are these on the list?

Knockentiber
Almost certainly not, well spotted!
maccate

Post by maccate »

Otley, West Yorkshire. The round No Cycling sign I believe is pre Worboys but the sign below is a council one. There is another one I will need to dig the photo out as it is now too faded to get a decent picture.
0E5DC4E3-0216-442F-941F-443765FD9540.jpeg
maccate

Post by maccate »

There is this one on Wetherby Town Hall, West Yorkshire if not already posted.
AC06C6E6-7BFD-4ACB-97B8-420849FB0390.jpeg
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

maccate wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 15:39Otley, West Yorkshire. The round No Cycling sign I believe is pre Worboys but the sign below is a council one. There is another one I will need to dig the photo out as it is now too faded to get a decent picture.
The circular sign in that picture is a Worboys one, just very faded.
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Chris5156 wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 19:46
maccate wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 15:39Otley, West Yorkshire. The round No Cycling sign I believe is pre Worboys but the sign below is a council one. There is another one I will need to dig the photo out as it is now too faded to get a decent picture.
The circular sign in that picture is a Worboys one, just very faded.
I was going to say that Pre-Worboys version was a red circle containing the words NO CYCLING, or a rectangular sign saying CYCLING PROHIBITED.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Bazzerpfr

Post by Bazzerpfr »

Here are a couple of oddities. This seems to be a genuine pw sign but without the pole! It's in the Stoke district of Plymouth.
Sdevon4devonport.jpg
Bazzerpfr

Post by Bazzerpfr »

This would not normally count either, as it looks like it should be part of a fingerpost, but without the post! It is in Kendal, on a slight bend with a junction. There is no arrow for direction , but you might assume the road classification might be pointing the way, and indeed it does.
Scumb3kendal.JPG
Bazzerpfr

Post by Bazzerpfr »

This was posted a while ago but the link seems to have gone, so here it is, in the remote village of Blackawton near Dartmouth, Devon. See also the sign with a similar purpose, posted on this site at Oulton, near Stone, Staffs.
Sdevon5blackawton.jpg
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

Bugger, I think that's two I missed in Wetherby now. The no through roads are often low down and under road names so people know when they look for the road. The A687 one is yet a new variation and to me not a fingerpost as it's very similar to other signs without arrows which are rare but if they're to a place they still count. Here's one similar to it.

Bfivethousand

Post by Bfivethousand »

One from eBay... I don't think you'll ever find another enamel pre-Worboys sign in such pristine condition!

A 30
16 Sodium atoms walk into a bar
followed immediately by Batman
Bazzerpfr

Post by Bazzerpfr »

Re Klepsydra's Barnoldswick sign (p110);

I've checked this out - it's about a mile west of Foulridge (pron. fole-ridge) just inside Lancashire, a few hundred yards from the pre-74 Yorks WR boundary - and discovered an astonishing restoration. The base of the pole is still there, it looks like the bottom has rusted and the sign had possibly even collapsed. Whatever, someone has removed the sign, painted the pole, cleaned up the sign itself and placed it firmly in the bank above the wall, so it faces exactly where it did before. They have gone to a lot of trouble, and to good effect. :applause:
Slancs7foulridge.jpg
Bazzerpfr

Post by Bazzerpfr »

I also checked out Big Nick's sign at Elslack near Skipton, hoping to solve his query as to why the sign suggests some kind of track might be heading straight on at the junction when there isn't one there. It looks as though the sign might actually be on an old road, now the entrance to a car park, i.e. they maybe built a new junction because the old one was too dangerous, the A56 there is very busy. So I expected to find a track from the end of that old road. There is no evidence of one, so Big Nick's query remains. Anyway, here's the sign;
Spen28elslack.jpg
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

I thought I'd mopped up every Surrey route confirmation sign, but this turned up recently. https://www.flickr.com/photos/93036177@N04/52329657516 Unfortunately it was taken back in 2019, and Google showed it present recently. I missed it as it had been turned flat to the road so invisible to most traffic. As it was Sunday when I make trips I went and it had just been removed. I could have waited to find out but it got me out and taking new places. If only someone would do it up and replace it as well.

On a similar note the one to Surbiton Station was painted, and removed afterwards for a few weeks and then replaced. That will always be a mystery to me as it had already been restored. Also when I was a passenger in the car in 2008 and saw a p-W roundabout sign under the railway bridge outside the station in Tolworth (the last in Britain) it was gone when I went back to get it. Then I found a video I'd taken there some years earlier and it wasn't there. I know what I saw and being on a major road you'd expect someone else did.
fras

Post by fras »

Here ye'are: -
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.96840 ... 8192?hl=en
I see plenty when out and about in the back of the back of beyond ! This tends to be Shropshire and the English Marches
Nathan_A_RF

Post by Nathan_A_RF »

A friend let me know about these, have these been mentioned?
Car park in Berkhamsted: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.76251 ... 384!8i8192
Two height signs on this arch in Bolton Abbey (one each side): https://www.google.com/maps/@53.9827308 ... 384!8i8192

EDIT: just around the corner too! https://www.google.com/maps/@53.9814999 ... 384!8i8192
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

Yes, all familiar but better repeated than missed.