Pre-Worboys preservation campaign

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Re: Pre-Worboys preservation campaign

Post by Chris5156 »

That lettering is Transport, so may just be a newer sign in a words-only pre-Worboys style.
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

Here's a variation on a theme, an arrow no through road. Sadly it's no longer there but I just found it planning a trip for the ones still in Stratford.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.20709 ... ?entry=ttu
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

I discovered this beauty on a search and here it is. I haven't seen a white on blue directions but it's clearly pre-1933 as it's not of the later design. The simple reason there is no arrow is it's for straight ahead on the main road, but for reasons unknown the current route to these places is in the opposite direction.

freebrickproductions

Post by freebrickproductions »

DavidNW9 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 22:34 I discovered this beauty on a search and here it is. I haven't seen a white on blue directions but it's clearly pre-1933 as it's not of the later design. The simple reason there is no arrow is it's for straight ahead on the main road, but for reasons unknown the current route to these places is in the opposite direction.

Is it possible that the owner of the building had bought it when it was being taken down originally and remounted it on their wall?
Probably busy documenting grade crossings in the southeastern United States.

(They/Them)
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

I wondered that as well, but the bolts seem to have been as old as the sign and they tend to replace them when repositioning signs as the old ones rust. Also if it misleads drivers the council would probably have told them to move it.
freebrickproductions

DavidNW9 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 14:44 I wondered that as well, but the bolts seem to have been as old as the sign and they tend to replace them when repositioning signs as the old ones rust. Also if it misleads drivers the council would probably have told them to move it.
Then I guess the road lay-out around there must've been massively different, or it was erroneously posted there. The only other alternative I can think of would be that the building got moved at one point to preserve it while allowing redevelopment of where it originally stood, but, admittedly not really knowing the area, I don't feel that's super unlikely.

(They/Them)
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

It's a listed building so has been there a long time. On a closer look the holes use screws, and while some are darkened some look new so a bit of a mystery as if it has been moved it's barely travelled much more than across the road. Maybe a note to the address would help?
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

There's a police notice no waiting on a wall in Melton Mowbray. All I know is it's on one of the roads heading out of the centre but hours of searches have raised a fat zero. I think it's still there but must be well hidden. Is anyone familiar with it? They used to be quite common, often no parking, and must be part of the national system as the police had the power to make them.
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

It was on the corner of Mill Street but went in around 2016. https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.76310 ... ?entry=ttu
Berk

Post by Berk »

DavidNW9 wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 02:40 It was on the corner of Mill Street but went in around 2016. https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.76310 ... ?entry=ttu
Such a tiddly thing. I thought you meant a round sign (like NO PARKING).
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

Plenty of those if you want them. Police notices tended to be oblong and said no parking, although I don't have one, this was far rarer as it said no waiting. All no parking signs otherwise were oblong except one I found but no waiting were round. Rare but findable if you ask me for locations. This is very unusual and also a portable version with a concrete base.

DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

This one and its mate have been linked here for ages but now I have some free time I ran through them all and went to get them today in Stratford on Avon along with the others there which I'll put under private and council signs.

DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

This is a first, certainly in my experience, the space above the set of signs in Leighton Buzzard has just had the original sign which used to be there replaced. Does anyone know how this happened?

Imagesigns by David Howard, on Flickr
freebrickproductions

DavidNW9 wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 19:32 This is a first, certainly in my experience, the space above the set of signs in Leighton Buzzard has just had the original sign which used to be there replaced. Does anyone know how this happened?

Imagesigns by David Howard, on Flickr
Is it possible the owner of the building they're on had the original taken down to be restored or reproduced at some point and just finally got it put back-up?

(They/Them)
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

Quite possibly, however although it's in perfect condition the paint is weathered so not repainted, and up close you can see it's an original. But either way I'm delighted it's there now, maybe someone local will know when it was last there but I'm going back over five years and Streetview can confirm about 15 with its absence.
Nathan_A_RF

Post by Nathan_A_RF »

Nice direction signs (but quite rusted)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/166323901864
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

I have promoted this farm sign to pre-Worboys as it's probably unique and older than 70 years. It's in Weston Colville, Cambs.

Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Here's a nice little one in Odiham, Hampshire.
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

Here is the real thing.

ImageOdiham by David Howard, on Flickr
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

Small but sweet still doing it's job in Kensal Rise.