Pre-Worboys preservation campaign

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Bazzerpfr

Re: Pre-Worboys preservation campaign

Post by Bazzerpfr »

The two pw signs in Kirriemuir both survive, the first is still doing an important job as it is still the only sign at that point on the one-way system.
Sscothigh9kirriemuir1.JPG
Sscothigh10kirriemuir2.JPG
Bazzerpfr

Post by Bazzerpfr »

This curious relic is about 5 miles east of Kirriemuir. At first I thought that the sign had gone, leaving just the triangle, but closer inspection suggests there might not have been a sign there to start with, i.e. it warns of a general danger (see also Oultonstone in Staffs and Blackawton in Devon). The "general danger" would be a T junction after a long straight road. If there was a sign there it would probably have been a T Junction one; but here it is...
Sscothigh11kirriemuirmemus.JPG
Bazzerpfr

Post by Bazzerpfr »

..and here is a lucky but fascinating find south of Crieff. It is so manky it was almost face-down in the verge and I had to haul it up, but its history deserves better. It says "MUTHILL CRIEFF" to the left, and "DALPATRICK FORD" to the right, which is actually the track you can see straight on. In the days of travel by horseback the old road from Auchterarder to Crieff went straight through the ford, across the substantial R Earn. That's fine for horses, but no good for these new-fangled motor cars. The river is deep and the flow is quite strong, too, so motorists were sent the long way round via Muthill, so the sign is probably v. old indeed.
Sscothigh12crieffford.JPG
Bazzerpfr

Post by Bazzerpfr »

Closer to home (for me, Leeds) I am still finding unposted signs around Settle, a UK hotspot for them. This surprise turned up near Gargrave.
Spen29nappa.JPG
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

One in Hinderwell I'd not spotted before:

116 A174
https://maps.app.goo.gl/CyQzJbrb2qK2c5dd8
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Kevin Roads

Post by Kevin Roads »

Bazzerpfr wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 15:04 I am still finding unposted signs around Settle, a UK hotspot for them. This surprise turned up near Gargrave.
Lovely to see all those signs, Bazzer, especially the ones in Scotland, most of which I have driven past many times and it's nice to know that they are still in use.

I have posted a few from the Settle area - on this thread and on Manky Signs for the blue-bordered signs - but haven't noticed the Hellifield one. I'm back up there in October so I will seek it out.

Well done for getting out and photographing them as it makes a more enjoyable read than StreetView links.

Kevin.
Last edited by Kevin Roads on Mon Jul 17, 2023 15:01, edited 2 times in total.
crazyknightsfan

Post by crazyknightsfan »

Kevin Roads wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 19:46Well done for getting out and photographing them as ut makes a mire enjoyable read than StreetView links.
Amen to this.

I love the Street View links as well, but really appreciate the effort to take and post a nice photograph.
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

Another one knocked off the list. Turned out there was also a place name with added directions entering the village from the south but I didn't.

ImageOxton signs by David Howard, on Flickr
Burns

Post by Burns »

Bazzerpfr wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 14:44 This curious relic is about 5 miles east of Kirriemuir. At first I thought that the sign had gone, leaving just the triangle, but closer inspection suggests there might not have been a sign there to start with, i.e. it warns of a general danger (see also Oultonstone in Staffs and Blackawton in Devon). The "general danger" would be a T junction after a long straight road. If there was a sign there it would probably have been a T Junction one; but here it is...
Sscothigh11kirriemuirmemus.JPG
I'll reply to a few comments as I know the ones in Speyside well and I'm reasonably local to Kirrie as well so thank you for showcasing the ones in this area. It's great to see that the layby sign is still there near Grantown as its one of my favourites. There are a couple more in Kirriemuir, here (https://goo.gl/maps/ZWW2sh4tkBXiEoNh9) and here (https://goo.gl/maps/aoUR8pZFnRMedATy6). The old triangle at Memus is a nice one too and there's plenty of old triangles lurking on the back roads of Angus if you know where to look. The real gem in Memus is this wonderful survivor. If you're ever in Scotland and looking for some advise on where to find them, drop me a message.
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

Having found a pair of signs since then saying to playing field which I believe qualified then so should this in Warlingham and its smaller mate.

There are plenty of others aiming at parks and playgrounds etc. which qualify using this format so it should be the same.
Burns

Post by Burns »

I took a trip down to Yorkshire the other weekend. Came back with a great haul of photos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/QujBvJV7FonpoHT18
freebrickproductions

Post by freebrickproductions »

Burns wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 18:08 I took a trip down to Yorkshire the other weekend. Came back with a great haul of photos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/QujBvJV7FonpoHT18
Great shots! The ones with the reflectors on the lettering are definitely quite neat.

The Ireby sign's also a bit different from the examples I've seen so far, lookings like there was space for a number but one never written on it? Same for the Calcutt sign.
Probably busy documenting grade crossings in the southeastern United States.

(They/Them)
Burns

Post by Burns »

freebrickproductions wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 06:20 The Ireby sign's also a bit different from the examples I've seen so far, lookings like there was space for a number but one never written on it? Same for the Calcutt sign.
I'd imagine that's down to the roads they're on not being classified. It's interesting that they give the box the same dimensions with space for a number, though.
Rambo

Post by Rambo »

Burns wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 18:08 I took a trip down to Yorkshire the other weekend. Came back with a great haul of photos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/QujBvJV7FonpoHT18
Excellent set of photos. Really great to see. I've captured a handful of those but there are a lot i haven't. need to get me act together and go on a road trip !
freebrickproductions

Post by freebrickproductions »

Burns wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 17:40
freebrickproductions wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 06:20 The Ireby sign's also a bit different from the examples I've seen so far, lookings like there was space for a number but one never written on it? Same for the Calcutt sign.
I'd imagine that's down to the roads they're on not being classified. It's interesting that they give the box the same dimensions with space for a number, though.
That's kinda what I figured after posting, lol. I'm guessing that the idea was that, if the roads gained numbers at some point, they could easily just paint them on without having to completely replace the sign immediately. Also lets the boxes the town names are in be of a more consistent height as well.
Probably busy documenting grade crossings in the southeastern United States.

(They/Them)
crazyknightsfan

Post by crazyknightsfan »

What a wonderful collection - thanks for sharing
DavidB

Post by DavidB »

East London blogger Diamond Geezer has found a PW 'No Through Road' sign in Chadwell Heath:

https://diamondgeezer.blogspot.com/2023 ... venue.html
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

I thought I'd never get one of these as the last one before Birkenhead was taken away before I got there, this turned up at the entrance to the ex-Bibury airfield which closed in 1950, and is now a classic car sales hub. I don't know if the sign was there already but unlikely as it was an engineering firm on the site until recently (the post and screws are new, as is the concrete it's set in compared to the rest) but is actually in use at the exit to the road so not a museum piece which definitely doesn't count as no longer in use. I presume even if an old sign was added to use it still counts regardless?

ImageHalt by David Howard, on Flickr
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

Big L wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2015 07:50 A819 Lay-by 1/4 mile ahead.
A645 has one as well :thumbsup: Well almost, it has 1/4 mile ahead lay-by.
solocle

Post by solocle »

Ampney Crucis east of Cirencester