N.IRL: Street lights at end of runway [images]

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

nirs

N.IRL: Street lights at end of runway [images]

Post by nirs »

The A20 Southern Distributor has just been completed in Newtownards. Part of the road (seen here when under construction) runs past the end one of the runways at Newtownards Airport.

The street lights here are remarkable. The lights either side are normal, then you have some which are similar but shorter than average. The ones right across the runway are even shorter (only about 4 metres), and are painted with red-and-white stripes with red warning beacons on top! Quite interesting to see. I'm sure you get these in other places, but it's the first time I've seen them used in Northern Ireland.

The pictures below show the normal lights, the "short" lights, and then two of the red-and-white lights.
ardslights1.jpg
ardslights2.jpg
ardslights3.jpg
Northern Ireland Roads Site www.wesleyjohnston.com/roads
nirs

Post by nirs »

Close-up of light.
ardslights4.jpg
Northern Ireland Roads Site www.wesleyjohnston.com/roads
AndyB
Elected Committee Member

Re: N.IRL: Street lights at end of runway [images]

Post by AndyB »

The road must pass through the Runway End Safety Area, capping the permitted height of the lamp standards. By their positions, the red beacons may be part of the standard advance warning lights for the runway rather than "avoid me" navigation beacons (compare the beacons going out into Lough Foyle at City of Derry, and the lights on the other side of the closed former Tully Road at Aldergrove)
True Yorkie
Banned

Re: N.IRL: Street lights at end of runway [images]

Post by True Yorkie »

I want one of those columns with the red light on!! :laugh: :laugh:
"God was probably very proud of Yorkshire when he had finished with it"
- Jeremy Clarkson
--