Can anyone ID this lantern?

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Can anyone ID this lantern?

Post by Bryn666 »

Hi folks,

Anyone know what these lanterns (see photo attached) are? They look like a cross between an Alpha 1 and a Sol D'Or.

There are dozens of them on the road in question, mostly mounted to telegraph poles - this is one of three concrete column versions.
Attachments
identify_lantern.JPG
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
sotonsteve

Re: Can anyone ID this lantern?

Post by sotonsteve »

The incredibly rare Wardle Aureole!
True Yorkie
Banned

Post by True Yorkie »

Where are these?
"God was probably very proud of Yorkshire when he had finished with it"
- Jeremy Clarkson
--
traffic-light-man

Post by traffic-light-man »

Theres one of these in as-new condition on a Stainton concrete at the Halton BC depot in Ditton, just down the road from our new house. I'll try and get some photographs.
Simon
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

They're on a road in the area I'm responsible for. For now I'd rather they remained in situ as they all work rather than incur lots of expense when collectors start requesting them... :wink:
Bryn

worcsfan

Post by worcsfan »

Smaller versions used by the defunct-since-1967 Wenlock Borough Council: and until a few years ago to be seen all over the former borough: Much Wenlock to Broseley and into what is now south Telford- Ironbridge Gorge, Madeley and Dawley.
M56phil

Post by M56phil »

These used to be scattered in the hundreds/thousands all over Widnes/Ditton in the 1970s/1980s. I think they look really good.
I would say 99% have been sleaved into industria 2000s or metal poles.

Not good for light pollution though.

A couple exist in a council depot just off the A561/A562 Widnes roundabout.

I dont think they work now though, one of the bowls is white/cloudy.

I hope this helps.

Ta, M56PHIL
Mikeya

Post by Mikeya »

Rochdale - big Wardle users - moved to these in the 1970s - the eastern end of Oldham Rd for example.
B4133
Banned

Post by B4133 »

Bryn666 wrote:They're on a road in the area I'm responsible for. For now I'd rather they remained in situ as they all work rather than incur lots of expense when collectors start requesting them... :wink:
Bryn are these around the Ripponden area? As if they are there is quite a few. Anyway if these are going to get removed tell Warren to keep some aside for me, he knows who i am.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

They are near enough there yes, but I doubt they'll be coming down yet for a while. I'm not going to pester streetlighting about it though :wink:
Bryn

Gram587

Post by Gram587 »

It's alright you collectors saying 'save us this' and 'save us that' I'd rather old lanterns were left in situ as long as possible so we can all enjoy them the way they were intended to be installed! :P
Gram587- The stink of excellence in a world gone t*ts up
True Yorkie
Banned

Post by True Yorkie »

Actually that is how I feel as well, to be honest. Yes, I like getting old and unique lanterns into my own collection, but I'd rather be able to go round on my bike and see these lights still lighting the streets every night.
"God was probably very proud of Yorkshire when he had finished with it"
- Jeremy Clarkson
--
B4133
Banned

Post by B4133 »

TY and Gram587 id rather see them up in situ as well.
traffic-light-man

M56phil wrote:I would say 99% have been sleaved into industria 2000s or metal poles.

As I mentioned earlier, there's only one left at the HHT depot, and I'm fairly sure it doesn't work. I shall pop over with the dog later on to confirm :wink:

I don't think all to many were sleved with Industria lanterns, I think they would've been replaced by octagonal steel columns with some form of large SOX lantern in typical Cheshire CC way.

And then again, in turn, most of those being replaced with post-top WRTL Arc or Vectra.
Simon
wallasey

Post by wallasey »

Mikeya wrote:Rochdale - big Wardle users - moved to these in the 1970s - the eastern end of Oldham Rd for example.
I remember them being replaced..but over on the A58 to Heywood. Really good looking ones.

May I post this and ask for any volunteers to ID the lantern? I have asked someone already but I thought SABRE may appreciate this being shared. I don't plan to upload this to NWSL as it would give away the location.

Needless to say, there can't be many of these around.
autosignguy
Account deactivated at user request

Post by autosignguy »

I saw that one in Netherley, by Wood Lane, near a power station.
autosignguy
Account deactivated at user request

Post by autosignguy »

traffic-light-man wrote:
M56phil wrote:I would say 99% have been sleaved into industria 2000s or metal poles.

As I mentioned earlier, there's only one left at the HHT depot, and I'm fairly sure it doesn't work. I shall pop over with the dog later on to confirm :wink:

I don't think all to many were sleved with Industria lanterns, I think they would've been replaced by octagonal steel columns with some form of large SOX lantern in typical Cheshire CC way.

And then again, in turn, most of those being replaced with post-top WRTL Arc or Vectra.
What were the octagonal steel columns? any pics?
traffic-light-man

I realise that I didn't post back to this thread when I said I would, however I can confirm that it doesn't work. Or at least, it doesn't appear to! May just need a new lamp.

The octagonal steel columns are just the bog standard Cheshire CC columns. I think they may be Stainton, but I can't be certain. They're older than '98 either way, but are everywhere.
Simon
wallasey

Post by wallasey »

autosignguy wrote:I saw that one in Netherley, by Wood Lane, near a power station.
If your referring to the image above, It was stumbled across more over toward the hills of Lancashire. I was just amazed to see it still in situ and potentially in working order. I hate to blow trumpets as it were but does anyone have a suggestion as to what the lantern may be? Claire P' has a similar lantern listed under her Unidentfied Lanterns Page

traffic-light-man: If they were installed by Cheshire then it will be a toss up between Stainton or Petitjean. However, if there is a seamless transition from the column to the bracket (ie no visible change like there is with the aforementioned manufacturers) then the column is likely to be by Poles Ltd.
Patrick Harper

Post by Patrick Harper »

It's alright you collectors saying 'save us this' and 'save us that' I'd rather old lanterns were left in situ as long as possible so we can all enjoy them the way they were intended to be installed!
There are a few problems with collecting streetlights.

Why would you want them? They are incredibly hard to get hold of (particularly the one shown in this thread), and it is even worse getting the control gear and hooking it up to the mains. No one in the area will be interested that you have a non-functioning streetlight in/on your spare room/cupboard/garden/driveway.

Mind you, if my parents were so unenthusiastic about driving and roads, I would bid to get one if it was under £30.