Some more old Revo stuff

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Mikeya

Some more old Revo stuff

Post by Mikeya »

Hi all

I've posted a few more Revo items from the 1930s on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/36844288@N ... 863752531/

Regards

Mikey
worcsfan

Re: Some more old Revo stuff

Post by worcsfan »

Heavens..tons to comment on there...

Bottom row but one- the picture of the column by the church is Owen Street in Tipton itself, the 'main street' of the town. Those columns lasted until the late 80s; I have only ever seen them in one other case- Ledbury, where they lit just the centre of the town and lasted until the 90s- with lighting extended out into the edges of town by the 70s.

Plenty of reflectors and bulbs usually found on swans necks on the top two or three lines- Worcestershire and Shropshire County Councils using them into the 90s.

Brighton promenade lanterns on the top line- if not the fittings they were affixed to: there to this day.

A real but nice surprise in recent years to find REVO supplied lanterns and columns for the original City of Westminster- and that reproductions of these are used for casual replacements and expansion into the former boroughs of Paddington and Marylebone by the 80s.
Octaviadriver

Post by Octaviadriver »

It's amazing to look at the Revo fans from 1955. The 12" Aermaster was £8/18/- plus £3/18/6 purchase tax = £12/16/6! That was a good week's wage back then and the purchase tax rate works out at 44%! I like the one in the picture in gay red!

A similar fan today would be about £20, but would only be plastic of course.
Gram587

Post by Gram587 »

If you could afford those, you could probably afford to have servants to fan you :laugh:

Does /- mean shillings? If so some of those cast-iron lantern brackets were only 75 shillings fully-fitted or 67 shillings for the basic package, which doesn't sound like a lot for something so ornate. The most expensive ones were 240 shillings.
Gram587- The stink of excellence in a world gone t*ts up
Octaviadriver

Post by Octaviadriver »

Gram587 wrote:If you could afford those, you could probably afford to have servants to fan you :laugh:

Does /- mean shillings? If so some of those cast-iron lantern brackets were only 75 shillings fully-fitted or 67 shillings for the basic package, which doesn't sound like a lot for something so ornate. The most expensive ones were 240 shillings.
Yes, I'll show my age now! /- does mean shillings. 75 shillings is £3.75, 67 shillings is £3.35 and 240 shillings is £12.00 in this strange new metric money!
Glenn A

Post by Glenn A »

Hey, looking at that hefty concrete Soletern from 1955 with its huge lantern, I am sure this was used in Whitehaven town centre when I moved there in the seventies and survived until 1990 or so.
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

The crescent shaped column in this picture features in one of those Revo brochures. I've always wondered who made it since they are quite rare.

How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
worcsfan

Post by worcsfan »

Not that rare...Worcestershire bought quite a few of them- used on the Stourport-Lickhill-Bewdley road until they were sleeved in the 80s.

Anyone see 'Mutiny On The Buses' recently? They appear in that , in the street where Butler lived...so in reality, Elstree or Borehamwood in Herts.
Mikeya

Post by Mikeya »

I think it fair to say the Revo curved brackets are rare now! & yes, like many 1950s and '60s British Films 'On the Buses' and that ilk well worth watching for street furniture etc!
autosignguy
Account deactivated at user request

Post by autosignguy »

worcsfan wrote:Not that rare...Worcestershire bought quite a few of them- used on the Stourport-Lickhill-Bewdley road until they were sleeved in the 80s.

Anyone see 'Mutiny On The Buses' recently? They appear in that , in the street where Butler lived...so in reality, Elstree or Borehamwood in Herts.
Not sleeved with WRTLs and Thorn Beta 5s were they?
worcsfan

Post by worcsfan »

Possibly....