Ominous sounding roads.

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

chaseracer

Re: Ominous sounding roads.

Post by chaseracer »

When I were nobbut a sprog, we lived just off Cockshot Road in Great Malvern. Have some more amusing* Worcestershire street names: https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/m ... es-6743754
chaseracer

Post by chaseracer »

Bilston delights in both Chem Road and Stom Road. The meanings of either are unclear.
Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

London Road.

Who'd want to go to London?!

Shudders. :twisted:
Patience is not a virtue - it's a concept invented by the dozy beggars who are unable to think quickly enough.
RichardA626

Post by RichardA626 »

chaseracer wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 14:57 When I were nobbut a sprog, we lived just off Cockshot Road in Great Malvern. Have some more amusing* Worcestershire street names: https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/m ... es-6743754
I used to work with a young woman called Cockshot who was a little embarrassed by the name.

She mentioned that her brother once booked a minicab which didn't turn up, when he rang the taxi company up they had thought it was a crank call & ignored it!
Beware of the trickster on the roof
freebrickproductions

Post by freebrickproductions »

RichardA626 wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 22:15
Owain wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 20:20 The Italian A6 motorway is officially named 'La Verdemare' ('the green sea'), but has acquired the unofficial sobriquet 'Autostrada della Morte' ('motorway of death').

It features a loop-the-loop on the southern carriageway, and part of it collapsed in a landslide a few years ago, although neither of those attributes are responsible for the nickname.
California highway 152 is known as the Ho Chi Minh Trail due to the amount of accidents that have occurred on it, I assume it's almost as if they are being attacked!
Another international (and American) example, and one more local to me, would be Slaughter Road here in Madison County, AL, which takes its name from a Dr. John Slaughter who used to live near/along it with his family back in the 1800s.
Probably busy documenting grade crossings in the southeastern United States.

(They/Them)