Streetlights then and now

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Truvelo

Streetlights then and now

Post by Truvelo »

I don't think there's a thread on this so I'll start one.

In the wiki is a picture I took of the A9 near Stirling in 2001. I've looked on Google Street View and the lighting has been replaced. Not only that but the road layout has changed and the petrol station has gone as well.

2001 picture

Street View
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
M56phil

Re: Streetlights then and now

Post by M56phil »

Nice one Truvelo! :D
good pictures, such a pity those lovely concrete lamps have gone. :cry:

If you want to see some really good vintage scottish streetlights (still in existence) gone on streetview...

Go onto Carlisle Road (B7078) at Blackwood (Just off M74) and there are some great SOX oldies there. :D

keep up the good work!

M56PHIL
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

I think you mean these. I've already taken pictures of them as you can see :D

Big and complex.
autosignguy
Account deactivated at user request

Post by autosignguy »

They look so olde-worlde yet probably are 1970s IIRC...
Ritchie333
SABRE Developer

Post by Ritchie333 »

The ones with the longer arm are just like the ones I was referring to in this thread. (Except they're not green).
--
SABRE Maps - all the best maps in one place....
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

Here's another one.

1994 picture

Street View
Big and complex.
Gram587

Post by Gram587 »

Truvelo wrote:Here's another one.

1994 picture

Street View
Ugh! Bl**dy WRTL 2600s have killed off yet another fine installation! :evil: Those Z5590s look great and quite a rare combination to see them on what look like CU triangular columns with a swan-neck bracket :thumbsup:
Gram587- The stink of excellence in a world gone t*ts up
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

Here's another view of the older columns. What is the lantern at the very top of the picture? It has a Z5590 bowl but the canopy is different.

The triangular columns were fairly common in Dudley until the 90's. Casual replacements have taken their toll of which most of the 2600's were. 2600's haven't been installed for many years and it's the Arc which is the latest plague.
Big and complex.
haymansafc

Post by haymansafc »

This can also work the other way round. Does anyone have any examples of Google Street View pictures which are already out of date? I have one :

The Google Street View of the southernmost A183 P222’s. All Monkwearmouth the Roker P222's were painted red in 1993 (10th anniversary, I believe), but the section away from the Roker coastline sadly haven’t seen much maintenance paint-wise since 2000 and have sadly started to look a little tired as Google shows, with the original black paintwork clearly coming though the fading red.

Below is almost the same view taken by my mobile phone (not the best of pictures) over the Easter weekend, this small and southernmost end of the P222's now sport what I describe as their new and surprising 'Aqua Marine' paint jobs :shock: :) . It's more turquoise than green as it may appear.
Image0109.jpg
Here are a few more pictures from this particular stretch.
AquaMarineP222s.jpg
Image0108.jpg
No other columns have as of yet been affected which is quite odd (just this very small section), considering the whole section has always been 'uniform' whether as their original black and white or their seventeen years (and counting) as being the very familiar red and white...
The journey is never over until the arrival.
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

Now I know where the lantern in your avatar comes from :lol:
Big and complex.
Ritchie333
SABRE Developer

Post by Ritchie333 »

I never realised your avatar was a street lantern, haymansafc. They look like they were built for the space age - probably 1960s then?

Does anyone remember the old giant lights that were on the (then) M4 as you approached the Severn Bridge? Huge things, like football floodlights.
--
SABRE Maps - all the best maps in one place....
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

Here's another one.

June 2006

April 2010 - any idea as to what will be placed on the new brackets :roll:
Big and complex.
DunsBus

Post by DunsBus »

Ritchie333 wrote:I never realised your avatar was a street lantern, haymansafc. They look like they were built for the space age - probably 1960s then?

Does anyone remember the old giant lights that were on the (then) M4 as you approached the Severn Bridge? Huge things, like football floodlights.
The Monkwearmouth and Roker P222s date from c1988, replacing 8m CU/Thorn Alpha 3 mercuries on Roker Terrace, Whitburn Road and Whitburn Bents Road and a predominantly 8m sleeved CU/GEC Z9564 and Relite Hyperion 180 installation in Dame Dorothy Street and Harbour View. As Haymansafc says, their red and white paint job dates from the early 90s - originally both the columns and lantern canopies were unpainted.

The P222s from Seaburn northwards to the city boundary at Whitburn Bents were replaced by top-entry Urbis lanterns on a mix of twin and triple-brackets around 1990.

Here's hoping that the aquamarine paint scheme on some of the Monkwearmouth P222 (and their columns) is extended northwards to Roker.
"We don't serve black coffee. We serve white coffee without milk."
M56phil

Post by M56phil »

Truvelo, where is the location of the dual carraigeway with blue columns?

by the way, I think the replacement lanterns will be probably Iridiums. Seen columns (single arm) exactly like these on the A41 on the Wirral.

They have iridiums fitted-with a white almost halogen sharp glow (metal halide?)

is that right? hope so....
wallasey

Post by wallasey »

Great idea for a thread Truvelo; I would agree with M56Phil regarding the last image, although I get the impression Sandwell are still with the Vectra? Feasible to have them installed.

The example I have to hand is...

2007 view

2008 view with arty wooden things!

From here