Unusal, old lights seen in Warrington... and new ones too

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Nicholas

Unusal, old lights seen in Warrington... and new ones too

Post by Nicholas »

Now I have no idea when it comes to street lighting, but I saw some real oddities today. The joys of travelling by bus meant I was able see some unusual examples of street lighting. Here's what I encountered...

Lantern 1

Lantern 2

This one just looked weird on its concrete pole.

Lastly, I was suprised when I saw these lanterns, for two reasons - firstly, they are larger than the ones normally encountered, and secondly, they are SON lanterns instead of the usual SOX (one was day-burning, hence me being able to spot this).
Voie Rapide / Mótarbhealaí
Updated 1 November 2019!
Beardy5632

Re: Unusal, old lights seen in Warrington... and new ones too

Post by Beardy5632 »

They have got some a bit like that up and around Newcastle. Here is an example is Kingston Park.
Attachments
l.jpg
l.jpg (3.06 KiB) Viewed 773 times
British & Irish cities driven in - 48/75
England - 36/52, Scotland - 7/7, Wales - 5/6, NI - 0/5, RoI - 0/5
M56phil

Post by M56phil »

Ive actually seen "lantern 2" (the "pointy one" with white bowl) before and I wondered what it is!

What a find, I commute in and around Warrington regularly and I know it must be unique-not seen any like it.

My guess its SOX, but it looks to me it could of been a fluorescent? I dont know. I have seen lanterns similar to this in things like hospital car parks and Im sure I saw the same type on a housing estate in Lowestoft of all places. But ive looked back on streetview (as it was a few years ago) and they seem to of been replaced by urbis sapphire 1's (small version).

if you can find out what the name of the lantern is I would be interested. Gotta be ultra rare though!
autosignguy
Account deactivated at user request

Post by autosignguy »

They look like GEC Z9480 or Z9481 on a variant of the ElecoSlim column.
Sefton MBC used to have them up until 1996, when WRTL 2600 on hockeysticks replaced them.

Hope this helps.